• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Doesn't mean that component providers won't still provide new brass for reloading. Just as they do today. .mil doesn't use every cartridge that's out there.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I know but I suspect if the quality is good enough for the 50 cal it should be even better for most calibers smaller. No idea how easy it might be to reload.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They use plastic cases on open bolt designs from my understanding.

I have used Plastic Cased 5.56. lots of ruptured and case separations when the gun gets hot.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I know but I suspect if the quality is good enough for the 50 cal it should be even better for most calibers smaller. No idea how easy it might be to reload.

It's probably not reloadable. Not by today's methods anyway. Once it expands, it probably would take heat, not pressure to size it back to specs. If at all.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Telescoped rounds are the core of the LSAT program and perform rather well. We'll still get brass and lacquered steel in our current popular calibers for some time to come, but eventually civilian versions of .mil weapons will slowly shift the balance over the years.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Lots of people shoot 50+ year old milsurp ammo today.........will you want to shoot 50 year old plastic cases?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Plastic cases!!!! Wait, what about the civil war era Smith carbine using gutta pertcha case? Hum, guess plastic cases aren't so new after all...

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Wondering about the loading and recycle value. With the amount expended in conflict leaving something the bad guys can’t reuse (as easily) would have a benefit.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    The plastic casings are expected to last longer than brass in terms of storage

Yep, plastic injection is not what most folks think it is, even more so in todays manufacturing world.
    20 years ago I also shot thousands of "Natac" Polymer 5.56 rounds through a few Colts in semi, burst and auto with zero case failures.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    The plastic casings are expected to last longer than brass in terms of storage

Wonder why this matters. Sure we used the 45 acp for a long time. 30-06 pretty long. 7.62 is still in use but with improved bullets. They are chomping at the bit to replace the 223 and it's seen a few upgrades in bullets. Years ago they talked about a Styrofoam case that disintegratesupon firing. The liberals about had a melt down.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Someone has to say it: "It's not plastic it's Polymer!" Okee dokee! I don't own a plastic pistol, but I'm not against them.

No, it's not a new idea, but it's been waiting for the plastic technology to get there and market acceptance to make it profitable. That didn't take too long with shotgun shells. Well, except for some grumpy old Trapshooters. :innocent0

I'm wondering if it will require a new method of sizing necks such as heated dies to reform the neck for tension or perhaps a sealant glue instead of resizing.

Reloading forums will have a new set of repetitive newbie posts i.e. "Can i glue or melt my split neck?" :D

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    K-43 is correct. Below is a polymer case.
    Boxer primed.
    While polishing the brass I noticed the polymer body can be rotated 360 degrees. I would think powder gasses would leak from the cartridge.

Attachments

• P1010065.JPG
      P1010065.JPG
      75.7 KB · Views: 222
    • P1010066.JPG
      P1010066.JPG
      96.1 KB · Views: 253

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members