Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > Delaware
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 16th, 2019, 06:26 PM #31

Make sure you check any local code requirements. I live in Mount Airy and they won't let me bury a tank in the city.

Now I just think I've seen too much......

C3 for 2A

MSI, NRA and I vote!
Arcamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:56 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCheckR View Post
Buy.

We have 1000 buried. I buy a full tank once a year in August. Lots of options and best pricing.

I run insta hot and furnace (x2) in coldest part of winter plus standby generator.
^^this^^

If you are thinking of a generator definitely buy a tank. your price is based on your usage. Those with cooking accounts only pay 3 times more than those with whole house heating. A generator needs a stored amount so you will have a big tank, using low gallons. Your tank lease will be high. You can shop prices with your own tank up to the end of August, but definitely stay away from AMERIGAS or suburban, especially AMERIGAS. In your area (Milton) Tri-gas or Sharp will probably offer good pricing. Not sure if Grays goes that far or not but they are by far the most honest and fair of all the company's around. Don't ask me how I know but I may or may have not used to work for Amerigas
Batt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2019, 07:36 AM #33

Another vote for Gray’s gas. They are located in Denton and are very fair people. If they will come to Milton I’d use them no questions. Also right near Milton is Bakers fuel and they are worth getting an estimate from. Good luck
firemanyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2019, 01:09 PM #34

If you own your tank, do you have to get it pressure tested periodically?
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2019, 04:31 PM #35
Cheaper Than Diamonds

Cheaper Than Diamonds

OP: Like most have said, BUY IT! Much more flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
A 100 gallon tank is a waste of time/money.
Not necessarily. If you buy a single tank larger than 125 gallons, NFPA regulations require it to be a minimum distance from the house (10 ft to 500 gal, 25 ft over that). Meanwhile you can stack as many 100 gallon (or smaller) tanks as you want right up against the house (minimum distances from windows and intakes applies). In some cases, that's better. Installation is cheaper. Replacing or adding tanks is easier and cheaper. Not hard to hide behind a bit of privacy fencing. I realize that may not work if you need 400+ gallons or don't have a place to put them that is aesthetically OK.

I'm in a small house and have two 100 gal tanks right against the back. I use propane for cooking, heating, and hot water. One tank developed a fill valve problem. Costs too much to replace it, so I got a new tank and swapped them out. With two tanks I have enough I can go almost three seasons without a fill, and 20-30 days in the deepest cold of Winter. I'll probably add a third tank so I can go longer in the Winter and give me more margin to shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10xclean View Post
bury 500 in the yard, good for 25 years or so. and buried they usually will fill to 85% instead of 80%. (muffled bomb I guess!)
The space is for the propane to expand when it gets hot. If the tank is buried, the maximum temperature will be much lower than an above-ground tank, so less expansion room is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseymorejr View Post
If you own your tank, do you have to get it pressure tested periodically?
If it's an ASME tank, no. Most large stationary tanks are ASME. My tanks were new in 1985 IIRC and have not been retested. So long as the exterior of the tank is kept in good, rust-free condition, they will last decades upon decades. Note they have to be completely emptied by licensed dealer before they can be moved off property. Can't just haul them to the junkyard when they are done.

DOT tanks ("cylinders" technically) meant to be transported full (BBQ, 30, 40, and 100 lb tanks usually) do have to be retested 12 years after manufacture, and every five years after that.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM #36
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano_oneone View Post
They want to put in 100 gallon tank (fireplace, stove, water heater). I want to go to 300 gallon for possible other uses in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
A 100 gallon tank is a waste of time/money.

Get a 275/300, or 500/1000 and bury it. You won't get any price breaks with 70-80 gallon deliveries.

After about 2.5 - 2.75 refills the tank should pay for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
OP: Like most have said, BUY IT! Much more flexibility.

Not necessarily. If you buy a single tank larger than 125 gallons, NFPA regulations require it to be a minimum distance from the house (10 ft to 500 gal, 25 ft over that). Meanwhile you can stack as many 100 gallon (or smaller) tanks as you want right up against the house (minimum distances from windows and intakes applies). In some cases, that's better. Installation is cheaper. Replacing or adding tanks is easier and cheaper. Not hard to hide behind a bit of privacy fencing. I realize that may not work if you need 400+ gallons or don't have a place to put them that is aesthetically OK.

I'm in a small house and have two 100 gal tanks right against the back. I use propane for cooking, heating, and hot water. One tank developed a fill valve problem. Costs too much to replace it, so I got a new tank and swapped them out. With two tanks I have enough I can go almost three seasons without a fill, and 20-30 days in the deepest cold of Winter. I'll probably add a third tank so I can go longer in the Winter and give me more margin to shop around.

The space is for the propane to expand when it gets hot. If the tank is buried, the maximum temperature will be much lower than an above-ground tank, so less expansion room is needed.

If it's an ASME tank, no. Most large stationary tanks are ASME. My tanks were new in 1985 IIRC and have not been retested. So long as the exterior of the tank is kept in good, rust-free condition, they will last decades upon decades. Note they have to be completely emptied by licensed dealer before they can be moved off property. Can't just haul them to the junkyard when they are done.

DOT tanks ("cylinders" technically) meant to be transported full (BBQ, 30, 40, and 100 lb tanks usually) do have to be retested 12 years after manufacture, and every five years after that.
My point was about getting propane discounts. You're not getting the same deal at 70-80 gallons as you are getting at 250-850 delivered.

As for buried tank longevity, you do need to change the sacrificial anode bags (usually magnesium chips) periodically. They should be checked every 3 years.

You also need to be aware of the water table as well. Flood/high waters will upend them, as they float.
adit is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > Delaware

Tags
propane