• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am looking for advice from the collective wisdom on MDS...

I recently took the JJ Racaza class in Northern VA and decided I want to start shooting USPSA and possibly occasional IDPA matches.

After watching all of the other shooters attending the class, the majority shot 2011's. I really liked what I saw. I was shooting a Sig X5.
    I really liked the 2011's and have decided to get one. However, at this time I don't want to invest a huge amount of money on a whim.

So was looking for advice on what starter 2011 to get. I am a left handed shooter and want to be able to switch it between iron sights and a red dot without having to switch out the slide. I want to be able to compete with a major power factor.

I like my SIG X5 and it will have a role in my tool box. But, I really have come to like the 1911/2011 platform for precision shooting.
    I also have a CZ shadow 2, but it doesn't fit my hands well and will probably sell it.

Thanks

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I also have a CZ shadow 2, but it doesn't fit my hands well and will probably sell it.

I switched to an SP-01 Shadow for the same reason. The Shadow 2 is a great gun but, if your hands aren't the size of a catcher's mitt, it's almost impossible to operate one-handed. OTOH, the SP-01 Shadow is approximately the same size and has the same feel as a CZ-75 and weighs almost a 1/2 lb. less than a Shadow 2. Balance is good with just a hint of front heaviness. All the controls are easily reachable by anyone with average-sized hands, albeit, equipped with extended safety and slide-release.

If you like CZs, take a look at a Bull Shadow and snag one if you can?

I2BY6to.jpg

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom.html

A friend of mine and his wife in OH shoot USPSA with them and say its the bees knees. Considering the price of the average double-stack 2011, the CZ's are almost a bargain by comparison.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I switched to an SP-01 Shadow for the same reason. The Shadow 2 is a great gun but, if your hands aren't the size of a catcher's mitt, it's almost impossible to operate one-handed. OTOH, the SP-01 Shadow is approximately the same size and has the same feel as a CZ-75 and weighs almost a 1/2 lb. less than a Shadow 2. Balance is good with just a hint of front heaviness. All the controls are easily reachable by anyone with average-sized hands, albeit, equipped with extended safety and slide-release.

If you like CZs, take a look at a Bull Shadow and snag one if you can?

I2BY6to.jpg

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom.html

A friend of mine and his wife in OH shoot USPSA with them and say its the bees knees. Considering the price of the average double-stack 2011, the CZ's are almost a bargain by comparison.

CZ makes great guns. It is hard to find an extended safety release that is left handed friendly. In addition, I really want a single action only trigger.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    CZ makes great guns. It is hard to find an extended safety release that is left handed friendly. In addition, I really want a single action only trigger.

Ah! Didn't realize you were a southpaw! That's a game changer for sure because the 75 was designed with a right-handed shooter in mind. The extended safety on my SP-01 Shadow is ambidextrous but not the slide release.

I agree that there's nothing quite like a good trigger on a 1911/2011. While the SA trigger pull on the SP-01 Shadow is a crispy 3.2 lbs. (DA 7.5 lbs.) from CZ Custom, it definitely isn't the same.

Be sure to post pics of whatever you end up getting.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Everything I've read points me to a Brazos tuned Edge as a great starter, if they're still selling them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hey Doc, you might want to consider a RIA double-stack in 40, since you want to shoot Major. Get it pimped out by Hayes Custom Guns. That will get you to $2000.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Hey Doc, you might want to consider a RIA double-stack in 40, since you want to shoot Major. Get it pimped out by Hayes Custom Guns. That will get you to $2000.

Thanks James,
    I was looking at it and am really tempted to get a Brazos Tuned Edge.
    Afraid to buy an STI from the factory due to all of their QC issues. Have to sell my Shadow 2 first.

Does anyone have experience with the Remington R1 double stack yet?

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Baltimore's Best Pawn has a nice selection of STIs. Give the a call or PM.

I have been researching STIs. There are a lot of concerns with their QC. So, if I was to get one, I would want one tuned by a known smith like Bravos. I have communicated with some of the known competition shops that sell both factory and tuned STIs and almost all recommend getting a tuned version.

Examples are poor fit of the barrel to the slide with eccentric gaps, and the front sight being loose. Apparently the new management will let them leave with issues, but they do stand behind the products and will repair or replace them.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I have been researching STIs. There are a lot of concerns with their QC. So, if I was to get one, I would want one tuned by a known smith like Bravos. I have communicated with some of the known competition shops that sell both factory and tuned STIs and almost all recommend getting a tuned version.

Examples are poor fit of the barrel to the slide with eccentric gaps, and the front sight being loose. Apparently the new management will let them leave with issues, but they do stand behind the products and will repair or replace them.

vast majority will run with no issues. those that don't, send them back and they will get them running quickly.

but yeah if you want a really good gunsmith to go over them and fine tune them, brazos has their hp edge and dawson has their supertuned (NOT CRP) edge. trigger job, some fine tuning. i have one from each of them and they both run super super super super super close to 100%.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Are you reloading? The 2011s might only work well with certain loads, and might require non-factory cartridge lengths.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Are you reloading? The 2011s might only work well with certain loads, and might require non-factory cartridge lengths.

The Brazos smiths told me that their tuned 2011s won’t run on factory loads. I will be ordering one tomorrow, and they said they will provide their load data.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The Brazos smiths told me that their tuned 2011s won’t run on factory loads. I will be ordering one tomorrow, and they said they will provide their load data.

i told them i'd be running factory ammo, not sure what if anything they did different, but mine (edge) runs perfectly.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I shot a new STI at the class. Prior to the class I fired about 3000 rounds through her. The only problem I had with it was the rear sight's screw backed out. The rear sight is not made by STI. Everything else works great. I was going to let you shoot mine before the end of class but they started shutting things down when I finished my stage run.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I shot a new STI at the class. Prior to the class I fired about 3000 rounds through her. The only problem I had with it was the rear sight's screw backed out. The rear sight is not made by STI. Everything else works great. I was going to let you shoot mine before the end of class but they started shutting things down when I finished my stage run.

Yeah, I remember and thanks for the offer. Your gun and the others I watched ,are made me decide to go the 2011 route over the X5

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    A little over a year ago, I also decided that I wanted to get myself a 2011 race gun. I was all but certain that I wanted an STI, until I learned of the reliability issues that you referenced above. That said, my search for a high quality yet budget friendly (I use the term budget friendly very loosely) gun began. Ended up having this 2011 3 Gun Outlaw built for me by Warwick Tactical in Landisville, Pennsylvania. I liked the idea of being able to choose a lot of the components so that I would not have to go back and spend more money later on to upgrade it ie. grip, barrel, trigger length/shape, sights, mag well, were all chosen by me.

The gun it extremely tight and very accurate. I really like the way it looks, feels, and shoots. Not sure where you live, but I would be happy to let you take it for a test drive if you are ever near the AGC.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did have an issue with the gun bump firing when shooting in an stressful environment (on a timer). The trigger reset is so short (virtually nonexistent) and the trigger was pretty light (2lbs 8 oz) it would literally bump fire on me 1-2 times every 100 rounds. After all of the internals were inspected under a microscope by its builder, it was determined that the issue was me not the gun. The issue was remedied by me by increasing the trigger pull up to about 3lbs 12oz. I am certain that a shooter with more skill than I have would not have had this problem.

Attachments

• Warwick Tactical 2011 - 3 Gun Outlaw.jpg
      Warwick Tactical 2011 - 3 Gun Outlaw.jpg
      119.9 KB · Views: 272
    Last edited:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have a Para Ordnance P14, double stack, that the previous owner had build as a race gun, that is a good shooter, but I only use it for target and home defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom