• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    I'm reaching out to the brain trust here. Here is the scenario: House in Whaleyville, Worcester County. MD. All the water is bad in the area everyone says. having trouble with the well. House was built in 1997, now local plumber says I need a new well drilled. What's a reasonable price for this? He's quoting 7500.00 for a new Well, new pump, and tank. Thoughts ??

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Go deep as you can. Check out Daisey well drilling out of gumborro.

WHy so deep John? Outside of nitrates/small kids isn't all the good tasting water on top? Around my way the shallow wells don't have sulfur or iron taste but I don't know if they will let you drill shallow wells anymore.
    Maybe the grounds different over that way.

Used to be a guy in Secretary named Denny T. who would drill reasonably and was in with all the inspectors. He may still have his equipment even if he retired by now.
    Even at 7500 that sucks to have to spend the money these days.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    WHy so deep John? Outside of nitrates/small kids isn't all the good tasting water on top? Around my way the shallow wells don't have sulfur or iron taste but I don't know if they will let you drill shallow wells anymore.

Used to be a guy in Secretary named Denny T. who would drill reasonably and was in with all the inspectors. He may still have his equipment even if he retired by now.

Deep to hit a underground aquifer.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    That’s what he told me once. All the things that make the bad smells and taste are near the top of where you drill. He said the better stuff is much deeper. In Bivalve, we had a 12 ft and the water was awesome. Dad had June the same depth 1/4 mile away and it was nasty.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That’s what he told me once. All the things that make the bad smells and taste are near the top of where you drill. He said the better stuff is much deeper. In Bivalve, we had a 12 ft and the water was awesome. Dad had June the same depth 1/4 mile away and it was nasty.

When I lived in Preston we had a deep well and good water, the folks across the road had one that was similar or nearly the same depth but with a little barely egg smell that made bad ice.
    Of course with a little bourbon on top it wasn't very noticeable once you had a snoot full.
    The old people around my way say the opposite, best water 50-60 foot. COunty says different these days, they want to go deep. Over by the Vienna bridge I see a lot of iron deposits on the road from the irrigation. Its like that back over to Maiden Forest to where they train the gun dogs.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Somerset well drilling. They do all my work. I dont know all the specifics but the cost is reasonable to slightly high depending on the specifics.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Thanks all, I spoke to Somerset last night, they are going to check it out today. Original complaint was rust in the hot water heater, but on follow up 1st plumber said problem was in the well and 1600. Would fix it. At 5:15 after his uncle the well driller had been there an hour it needed a new well for 7500. It's an 80 foot well. Somerset said if it was bad, all in it would be 5200. Big difference for sure.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Thanks all, I spoke to Somerset last night, they are going to check it out today. Original complaint was rust in the hot water heater, but on follow up 1st plumber said problem was in the well and 1600. Would fix it. At 5:15 after his uncle the well driller had been there an hour it needed a new well for 7500. It's an 80 foot well. Somerset said if it was bad, all in it would be 5200. Big difference for sure.

You don't need a well unless it went dry. Somerset is honest so that's a good thing.

So, your hot water heater needs to be drained an flushed. Then the rod will need to be replaced. Do you have a water treatment system? If so I bet it's time to replace the resin bed.

Good luck!

Nov 1, 2011
    New well

I agree, got to figure 10k for the job. Had exact same job done here in Talbot, last year for$ 8500. The well is 385 feet deep. Great water, love it. Should have done it a few years back, had iron and stuff coming in the pipes. Lasted since 1957! Good luck!

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I am in AA County and my well pump is 38' below ground. My neighbor was told any new wells must go 400'.

Heard the same. I'm about 120 feet deep and start 90 feet above sea level.

Ive been told that the deeper wells have less radium, but the water has more iron, sulfur, and is more acidic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom