• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Right now my 550 is setup to do small primers. When i want to do large primers deprime/resize them. Prime them with a hand held primer then resume the batch in the progressive.

Looking at: https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550-primer-system-parts_8_44_25373.html

It LOOKS like i want part number 14281 being the entire slide bar configured for the large primer cup. From there i change the tube inside 14024 or 14003 and i'm all set.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Right now my 550 is setup to do small primers. When i want to do large primers deprime/resize them. Prime them with a hand held primer then resume the batch in the progressive.

Looking at: https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550-primer-system-parts_8_44_25373.html

It LOOKS like i want part number 14281 being the entire slide bar configured for the large primer cup. From there i change the tube inside 14024 or 14003 and i'm all set.

Yes, 14281, large primer slide bar and 14003 for large primer tube.

I'm kind of confused though. Why would you hand prime them if you have the Dillon? Or, are you talking about until you get the parts in to swap primer systems out?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Yes, 14281, large primer slide bar and 14003 for large primer tube.

I'm kind of confused though. Why would you hand prime them if you have the Dillon? Or, are you talking about until you get the parts in to swap primer systems out?

Thanks. I reload MOSTLY small primer so it works out but i also reload about 50 rounds of 22-250.

The idea behind getting item 14281 is to pull the 2 screws, release the retention spring then switch out the primer cup bar and the primer tube. Changing from large to small, back and forth as needed from week to week.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Contact Dillon, their customer service is outstanding.
    Explain your situation, they may just send you one for free.

I basically asked them the same thing that was on here, but wasn't sure about the time-frames. Especially with covid...

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Thanks. I reload MOSTLY small primer so it works out but i also reload about 50 rounds of 22-250.

The idea behind getting item 14281 is to pull the 2 screws, release the retention spring then switch out the primer cup bar and the primer tube. Changing from large to small, back and forth as needed from week to week.

If your volume of large primer reloading isn't that large, you should be able to just keep the small primer system installed and load the large primer ammo.

Just don't push the handle forward.

If you'll be loading rifle ammo, you'll have to mess around with the powder system a bit too. Most likely.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    If your volume of large primer reloading isn't that large, you should be able to just keep the small primer system installed and load the large primer ammo.

Just don't push the handle forward.

If you'll be loading rifle ammo, you'll have to mess around with the powder system a bit too. Most likely.

Unless i'm not understanding, thats what i'm doing now.

1. deprime, resize in stage 1
    2. remove brass
    3. hand prime while watching a movie i've seen 3000 times.
    4. put the PRIMED bras back in stage one
    5. rotate shell holder plate.
    6. place projectile on station 3
    7. pull lever.. repeat steps 4+ until done.

What this will allow me to do is NOT take the brass off and just use the "push forward" to prime them. its not world ending.. i've done it for probably 5 years now. After 5 years, i'm going to spend $25+ shipping on an "upgrade".

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Unless i'm not understanding, thats what i'm doing now.

1. deprime, resize in stage 1
    2. remove brass
    3. hand prime while watching a movie i've seen 3000 times.
    4. put the PRIMED bras back in stage one
    5. rotate shell holder plate.
    6. place projectile on station 3
    7. pull lever.. repeat steps 4+ until done.

What this will allow me to do is NOT take the brass off and just use the "push forward" to prime them. its not world ending.. i've done it for probably 5 years now. After 5 years, i'm going to spend $25+ shipping on an "upgrade".

Gotcha!!!!

I thought this was a new machine you inherited and you weren't familiar with Dillon's. I didn't realize you've had it a while. My bad.

I thought I had a spare large primer slide. But, I checked my parts bin and it's a small.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Gotcha!!!!

I thought this was a new machine you inherited and you weren't familiar with Dillon's. I didn't realize you've had it a while. My bad.

I thought I had a spare large primer slide. But, I checked my parts bin and it's a small.

No worries. I started with a rockchucker, got the 550, got a lee shotgun thing.. and have an rl500 also.

dillon is the way to go for me, except for my 300 win mag. I still do those meticulously via single stage, trickle powder etc etc.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    No worries. I started with a rockchucker, got the 550, got a lee shotgun thing.. and have an rl500 also.

dillon is the way to go for me, except for my 300 win mag. I still do those meticulously via single stage, trickle powder etc etc.

I can't say as I blame you. That is one round I would want to be very careful with.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yeah, that can be a bit of a pain in the butt. I reload very few large primered rounds. I do them by hand, keeping my 550 set up for smalls.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I can't say as I blame you. That is one round I would want to be very careful with.

I load it fairly light atm. I can be several grains over charged from my load and it's fine pressure wise (tested). Went with a lower charge for this reason, it's still on a single stage anyway though hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom