• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Interesting, would vegetable oil work? I got a bunch of old deep fryer oil lying around. If not, i can easily source a quart of used motor oil to dump the live primers in.

Why not use some decapped primers and test it. :)

https://flat5.net/2006/10/deactivating-primers/

It seems that anything you soak them with, they will go bang when they dry out.

Or may still go bang while wet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally I like the throw in the fire method. :D

MANY years ago, we used to shoot all year round. During the winter, we would build a fire to keep warm. I have been known to throw a few .22 rounds in the fire. :D

I cannot agree with the conclusions in the link shared before https://flat5.net/2006/10/deactivating-primers/.

I can see where water would dry out. Oils, not so much. I could leave some cooking oil in a open container, and it would not evaporate for years. Plus, there would be some sticky residue. If that residue remains it in a primer, would seem to me that would foul that primer.
    I am no expert, but with a primed, damaged case, I give a shot of WD-40 and toss it.
    Under no circumstances would I a) try to decap a live primer, especially from a swaged pocket and 2) NEVER reuse a decapped, still live primer. (redundant as I would never have any decapped live primers...)
    YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Personally I like the throw in the fire method. :D

MANY years ago, we used to shoot all year round. During the winter, we would build a fire to keep warm. I have been known to throw a few .22 rounds in the fire. :D
    Meh. Spray paint cans are MUCH more fun...:lol2:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....Under no circumstances would I a) try to decap a live primer, especially from a swaged pocket....
    Eye protection and ear protection offset the biggest risk, because the decapping system in most presses contains any shrapnel and any "blast" happens inside the shellholder/primer pocket and goes straight down into the primer catcher.

Primers are impact initiated. I have decapped live primers from uncrimped cases on several occasions and while gradually increasing pressure to *push* them out of the primer pocket, have never had one detonate.

I used to be extremely worried about primers until I bought a used progressive loader that someone had modified. Because there are multiple operations going on at multiple stations, the pressure on the press handle is substantial and the 'feel' of seating primers is lost. The primer feed wasn't working correctly and because the primers didn't feed 100% correctly, once in a while one would go in sideways or backwards and often get torn in half or crushed - none ever detonated in the press, which amazed me. Until I got the parts replaced, I was accumulating quite a collection of brass with the primers seated sideways, backwards and/or partially destroyed.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've deprimed live primers and never a pop. I don't reuse them though because I'm not sure I'm not damaging the compound and making them duds.
    209s I reuse. You don't touch the primer itself in decapping, just the battery cup. They're really a primer seated inside a holder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom