• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Curious, I just finished reloading my first 11 rounds. They are 9mm, lead round nose. The box the bullets came in indicates that they are 147 grain but when I weigh them on my digital scale, they average 143 grains.

I obtained my load data from Winchester/Hornady’s website. I’m using some old Winchester 231 powder (no smell and it seems ok but what do I know?) The load’s starting point is 3.0 grains., C.O.L is 1.10. One of the 11 rounds came out funky while adjusting the seating depth.

I have measured the powder charges and was amazed how little powder goes into a round, but what the hell do I know. I have measured the overall length several times doubting my calipers.
    I was gonna load about 10 or so each of .40 S&W, .223 and some .300 blackout but I need collect my nerves about my new hobby. I’ve been shooting for years. I’ve shot reloads for years . . . that my father loaded. Well, I inherited his Lee Precision Turret press and I have recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Press kit that included a powder scale and a couple of others that made the purchase a deal. I had no problems shooting reloads that my father reloaded. I’m having initial doubts with the stuff that I reload or at least until my first shot.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Take it slow, concentrate on what you are doing and don’t let yourself get distracted while you are loading. If you loaded to the minimums you should be fine. Start at the minimums and work your way up slowly checking for any signs of over pressure. It’s really helpful to have a chrono when working up new loads. Also, it’s a good thing to have a case gauge, but you can use a barrel that is removed from a pistol in a pinch to make sure they chamber. Learn on a single straight wall caliber (9mm is perfect) and get it down before branching out to others. Get good with multiple straight wall calibers before trying any rifle calibers, it’s significantly harder to master the resizing for shouldered cases.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Take it slow, concentrate on what you are doing and don’t let yourself get distracted while you are loading. If you loaded to the minimums you should be fine. Start at the minimums and work your way up slowly checking for any signs of over pressure. It’s really helpful to have a chrono when working up new loads. Also, it’s a good thing to have a case gauge, but you can use a barrel that is removed from a pistol in a pinch to make sure they chamber. Learn on a single straight wall caliber (9mm is perfect) and get it down before branching out to others. Get good with multiple straight wall calibers before trying any rifle calibers, it’s significantly harder to master the resizing for shouldered cases.
    Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I would say an FMJ 9mm or copper washed 9mm would be easier than LRN cause you might get leading with LRN at too low of a pressure where the lead does not seal depending on your gun. Just inspect the barrel when you have shot the first dozen. There is a lot of science to learn on leading (and I am still learning) but it can be a black voodoo science at the beginning.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I started reloading at minimums until I was comfortable that what I was doing was right. That was nearly 40 years ago. I've reloaded tens of thousands of rounds without issue. If you're unsure you might want to start light to build your confidence and skills
    That’s the plan.

I would say an FMJ 9mm or copper washed 9mm would be easier than LRN cause you might get leading with LRN at too low of a pressure where the lead does not seal depending on your gun. Just inspect the barrel when you have shot the first dozen. There is a lot of science to learn on leading (and I am still learning) but it can be a black voodoo science at the beginning.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some 115 copper jacketed 9mm that my father had but I have much more of the lead round nose.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's good to have a little bit of anxiety starting out. It means you respect the seriousness and danger. If it's any consolation, you sound thorough and probably won't make a mistake on your first or second go at it. It won't be until you've done it a few times to become comfortable with the process that something will slip. Keep that in the back of your mind.

It is good to note how powerful that miniscule amount of powder is. Imagine how easy it would be to double charge and not be able to tell. You have to rely on having a methodical process. When in doubt, pour it out.

Do you know any other local reloaders who could guide you through and...for lack of a more manly term, hold your hand? It also might not be a bad idea to double check your scale if you are nervous about the bullet weight inconsistencies. (I'm assumine you have and used a calibration weight?) If you doubt your calipers, check them on something known, like bullet diameter.

My first time, it was the priming that freaked me out. I always wear eye pro, but I put my ears on too because I knew that if I set a primer off inside, the loudness would wreck my nerve. I didn't set any off...but that is still the part of the process that gives me a little bit of the heebie-jeebies. I loaded up .38sp at the starting level (trickled each one), and shot it out of a beefy .357, figuring it had the best chance of handling a whoopsie. You know how sometimes you can hear/feel subtle inconsistancies in factory ammo? It was pretty cool that my first six reloads were absolutely 100% identical in terms of recoil, sound, blast, fireball, and even pretty darn close holes on paper.

We look forward to your successful reporting back

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    It's good to have a little bit of anxiety starting out. It means you respect the seriousness and danger. If it's any consolation, you sound thorough and probably won't make a mistake on your first or second go at it. It won't be until you've done it a few times to become comfortable with the process that something will slip. Keep that in the back of your mind.

It is good to note how powerful that miniscule amount of powder is. Imagine how easy it would be to double charge and not be able to tell. You have to rely on having a methodical process. When in doubt, pour it out.

Do you know any other local reloaders who could guide you through and...for lack of a more manly term, hold your hand? It also might not be a bad idea to double check your scale if you are nervous about the bullet weight inconsistencies. (I'm assumine you have and used a calibration weight?) If you doubt your calipers, check them on something known, like bullet diameter.

My first time, it was the priming that freaked me out. I always wear eye pro, but I put my ears on too because I knew that if I set a primer off inside, the loudness would wreck my nerve. I didn't set any off...but that is still the part of the process that gives me a little bit of the heebie-jeebies. I loaded up .38sp at the starting level (trickled each one), and shot it out of a beefy .357, figuring it had the best chance of handling a whoopsie. You know how sometimes you can hear/feel subtle inconsistancies in factory ammo? It was pretty cool that my first six reloads were absolutely 100% identical in terms of recoil, sound, blast, fireball, and even pretty darn close holes on paper.

We look forward to your successful reporting back
    Thanks. As soon as the ranges open I’ll be there with some test rounds. I’ve come to this forum for detailed info on reloading. I’ve watched my father reload but never actually reloaded myself until now. He and I discussed reloading often but now I’m putting our discussions into practice.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "old Winchester 231 powder"

How old? Sometimes old powder gets far more powerful. (If the retardant degrades faster than the propellant chemical. I have 7# of old Tubal 3000 that blows primers HARD at minimum loads - good only for the firepit now.) I had to disassemble rounds loaded with this stuff and am thankful I started shooting the lower charges first. You might want to invest in a pound of fresh 231?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If your powder has an strange odor, it may be bad. If not, I would try some at the minimum load. I always start there and increase the load in .1 grain increments. Test a few different batches checking the fired brass between each for any signs of a problem before shooting the next load in the progression.

It is a good thing to be a little OCD when reloading. Good luck and have fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it looks and smells OK, it will probably be fine.

I have been loading some almost 25 year old 231 without any issues.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Curious, I just finished reloading my first 11 rounds. They are 9mm, lead round nose. The box the bullets came in indicates that they are 147 grain but when I weigh them on my digital scale, they average 143 grains.

I obtained my load data from Winchester/Hornady’s website. I’m using some old Winchester 231 powder (no smell and it seems ok but what do I know?) The load’s starting point is 3.0 grains., C.O.L is 1.10. One of the 11 rounds came out funky while adjusting the seating depth.

I have measured the powder charges and was amazed how little powder goes into a round, but what the hell do I know. I have measured the overall length several times doubting my calipers.
    I was gonna load about 10 or so each of .40 S&W, .223 and some .300 blackout but I need collect my nerves about my new hobby. I’ve been shooting for years. I’ve shot reloads for years . . . that my father loaded. Well, I inherited his Lee Precision Turret press and I have recently purchased a Lee Breech Lock Press kit that included a powder scale and a couple of others that made the purchase a deal. I had no problems shooting reloads that my father reloaded. I’m having initial doubts with the stuff that I reload or at least until my first shot.

You'll do just fine sir. You already possess the greatest tool a reloader will ever need. That's a proper mindset.

Don't ever forget what you wrote here. What you wrote here is what keeps a safe activity safe. For me, I wanted a tree between me and my first reloads. For the record, I'm only half kidding.

Read your manuals from cover to cover. Follow your load data. And don't be the guy who comes to think that they know more than the folks who publish the books. You don't.

Enjoy your new hobby. Your newly found possibilities are endless.

Good Luck!

I agree with the others that your OCD and paranoia for your first loads is a good thing. The guy who thinks he is perfect and invincible is the one who gets hurt from reloading.
    The only thing I have to add is- are you sure your scale is accurate? If it is a balance beam type and you balanced it at 0.0gr, you should be good to go. I am happy to give you a hand if you're within a reasonable distance to Pikesville.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It is good to note how powerful that minuscule amount of powder is. Imagine how easy it would be to double charge and not be able to tell. You have to rely on having a methodical process. When in doubt, pour it out.

I recall loading some light load .357 in the first month of my hobby. I had forgotten to zero out the scale. They were not light loads. No damage to my Ruger SP 101. It was extremely difficult to pull apart the mistakes and 150 rounds went in the oil bin.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD

New reloader here (about 7 months in). I started off with 9mm too, and I am now starting to branch into necked cartridges such as 223, 7.62x39, 243, and 308. I was anxious about reloading at the beginning, especially when reading up on online references on things that could go wrong, overpressure diagnosis, "i blew up my gun", type of references.

Call me overkill, but I double check, triple check, and second guess all my reloads, especially if I am running them off my progressive. I try to explore and implement all types of best practices to assure on what I am loading will feed on my guns.

These are a list of best practices of what i can think of and what i do right now:

Make dummy rounds (for chambering/plunking/hand ejecting purposes)

add lights to visually expect the case necks (inspect for cracks) and check for powder

measure the powder charge every 10th round

use a sharpie to mark questionable/reject cases or reloads.

measure the case specs after resizing

start with clean and spotless casings

random sample analysis (weigh charge) pull a couple of rounds from a large batch

When in doubt, bin the case/reload

Don't reload after dark.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just remember - if you feel something wasn't right in the process of your reloading session, the bullet puller is your friend! We've all gone through and pulled all or a good portion of a batch. Better that than to put your well-being and that of others in jeopardy. Safety first.

I felt very good about my very first batch of reloads. It was 9mm. I still ducked when I pulled the trigger of my Beretta on the first one. The guys around me chuckled, but they were also all reloaders that had a similar feeling that first time. Afterwards I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Outside of a double charge or wrong powder type your primary worry should be handling primers and how many you have together at the same time and in what type of device they are being handled or stored in.
    Separating your uncovered/exposed powder from the primer handling and installation process will go a long way.
    Brass case condition and inspection would be next on my list for rimless cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom