• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    you know i'm just curious what would happen if someone was to open carry a realistic airsoft pistol around.

for instance ....

http://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-647-government-1911-pistol-spring-airsoft-gun-tokyo-marui.aspx

is very realistic looking, but is a toy...

So it has no regulation in maryland as far as i know, in exception of the federal requirement of having the orange tip so that it is easily distinguished as a toy by law inforcement.

maybe my thinking on this is a bit childish, but I was thinking that they might perhaps be a good tool to use for protesting or something :)

any thoughts?

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    yeah thats true.

just had the idea wondering what other people thought :)

though i would hate to think our police force would shoot first and ask questions later, with a holstered toy

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    i would think that assaulting someone with a toothbrush is assault with a deadly weapon, but carrying a tooth brush is not.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Just to clear things up.

I am in NO WAY intending to do this.

Nor do I recommend anybody doing this.

Just curious discussion

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    If you commit a crime with a realistic weapon are`n you charged as if it were the real weapon?

Yes. I have had to talk to youngster many times about this. The moment the police can't tell the difference under any circumstances, it is considered the real thing. Goes for carrying in public, in a holster and so on.

You hear all the time about armed robberies done with replicas. They don't drop it to simple robbery after the fact when they find out it was a toy. The victim thought it was real and the criminal was using it in a manner to convince them it was. The law generally treats a replica as the real thing under those circumstances.

The orange tip is meant to serve as a visual cue that it is a toy and not real. But that is easy to remove and likewise just as easy to paint a real gun to look like the replica. Hence the push for silly laws that ban painting guns to make them look toylike. Strange since the police don't need such laws now.

Wave a realistic fake around in any manner in a public place and expect a bad response. And charges to follow assuming you survive the experience. I know of two cases personally where individuals did so and were almost shot. They simply had their guns confiscated and were fined. It could have been much, much worse.

Matt

urbanwarrior

Sep 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    Well being a police officer I will say this...this is a very irresponsible thing to even consider. Should it be in a holster the threat level is decreased, however, each town, city or whatever has its own laws governing this type of activity, with the least being a fine. If the gun was to exit the holster you are immediately taking your life in your hands. Orange tip or not, because they are not always readily identifiable, you pull it out on a police officer and you probably will die. I'm not going to give you the chance to take my life, and the split second it would take for me to throughly examine the gun for an orange tip could cost me my life...and that ain't gonna happen. Sorry to be so negative but this is a no brainer for any intellegent person and responsible gun owner. These types of incidents are what is causing so much of the "death grip" legislation governing firearms in the first place.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Well being a police officer I will say this...this is a very irresponsible thing to even consider. Should it be in a holster the threat level is decreased, however, each town, city or whatever has its own laws governing this type of activity, with the least being a fine. If the gun was to exit the holster you are immediately taking your life in your hands. Orange tip or not, because they are not always readily identifiable, you pull it out on a police officer and you probably will die. I'm not going to give you the chance to take my life, and the split second it would take for me to throughly examine the gun for an orange tip could cost me my life...and that ain't gonna happen. Sorry to be so negative but this is a no brainer for any intellegent person and responsible gun owner. These types of incidents are what is causing so much of the "death grip" legislation governing firearms in the first place.

I think you misunderstand my intention.

I completely agree that this would be a bad idea to do on your own as some sort of regular basis protest, there is to much risk that it could be seen as a deadly weapon.

Especially if you pull it out which would be completely horrible.

As well, actions around a police officer should be taken very seriously, even to the point of fumbeling around with hands in pockets could lead the officer to, rightfully so imo, engage in defence measures for his own safety.

in the end i guess i just think these are some really cool toys and was trying to think of a way they could help us :), I havent come up with anything

and by the way, its good to hear that we have some of the officers on our side in maryland.

urbanwarrior

Sep 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have quite an extensive airsoft collection and have been actively playing for about 6 years. Just recently getting into real steel and I love it. I didn't misunderstand you,I just wanted to put it out there how disastrous this has been and could be. I didn't take it that you were planning on doing this. Here are a few pics of my airsoft collection, I hope my real steel collection rivals it someday!!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/urbanwarrior0318/102_0448.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd295/urbanwarrior0318/102_0449.jpg

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    That takes me back to living in Amherst and my room mate had like 6 Airsoft assault rifles, pistols, shotguns, everything.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    m4strmind, no state law against is that I am aware of (except for using one for a crime like robbery which I am postive you would not be doing).

By state law there seems to be nothing against open carry of a loaded real rifle, so I doubt there is any STATE law against it. However, there is no state preemption about non firearms as far as I know and therefore an Airsoft may be illegal on the street in some jurisdictions unless it meets the definition of "firearm" (which surprisingly enough, due to a super strict interpretation by the ATF decades ago can possibly include ANY air rifle that someone uses a hydrocarbon "lubricant" in it that can ignite from high temperature, compressed air pressure.)

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    Also you have to consider that some cities, such as Baltimore, have city ordinances prohibiting the wearing and carrying of pellet, bb, air and replica weapons in public.

Just to mention I know of one case where someone was successfully charged with poss of deadly weapon for a pellet gun during an assault he committed where as the gun was not even used. But it was on his person and the person he assaulted "by threat", saw it on him and believed it to be real thus making the threat against him legit in his mind.

Now of course by the time it got to court approx 6 mos later it was dropped to a lesser charge but the initial charge caused the suspect a high bail which he could not afford and thus spent those 6 months in Central Booking.

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    Oh yeah I'm def with Rob B and Urban warrior...if someone chooses to carry an airsoft weapon like it's real then if I'm on the street or get a call for said person, no way in hell am I even going to hesitate for a second when it comes to protecting myself or another's life from what I perceive as a threat.

Orange tips mean nothing....Ive seen pink AR-15's and lime green Glocks during my tours of duty.

urbanwarrior

Sep 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    I am sure there are local ordinances or laws against the open carrying of a loaded long rifle in a public place, not to mention the law of common sense. Lets get it straight also, I have an extensive airsoft collection and a budding real gun collection and I am in no way against a persons right to own firearms, however, I take offense to people doing stupid things to jeopardize everyones right to own firearms, mine included.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I was working the counter of a 7-11 one summer. Just as a guy finished buying his stuff and leaving I noticed he had a holstered pistol. There happened to be an off-duty sheriff's deputy there also and when the guy stepped outside there were 4 more deputies waiting for him. I heard it was just a BB pistol later, but it wasn't any fun for that guy at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom