• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    So I was at Chantilly and worked my way over to the far right tables, there's always a shop set up with a ridiculous number of 1911s. They never have prices, and I'm no dummy; if you have to ask, you can't afford.

I searched the forum but couldn't find much specifics on the value of WWI and WWII era 1911 variants. What's a service grade 1911 variant go for? Is there 'must have' guide to 1911s out there?

I'm not interested in pay 15K for a pistol issued to a MOH winner, just some thing with a taste of history to it and wouldn't mind a range day every so often.(NOT interest in a tribute 1911, as nice as they are).

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    you can pick up a decent 1911A1 for about a $1000.00. Singers and Union Switch I believe are the highest price due to their limited production.Colt 1911's are probably next and then Remington Rands and Ithica, probably your best bets for a entry level 1911.Of course there are variants to all the above because some of the earlier ones were "blued" instead of parkarized . Then you have year and production serial # ranges, lower the better ect.....Also some 1918 1911's only made by Colt were also used in WW2 . Your best bet is not a show where everyone including the dealers know the vale but try local gunshops, pawn shops ect. I have been looking for 1 for years and just got this one about 6 months ago for a at least half of what it is worth. Good luck
    DSC_0032-6.jpg
    DSC_0033-5.jpg
    DSC_0039-4.jpg

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Very nice find.

Dumb question but are pawn shop really a good place to check? I live in the DC area and know of TONS of pawn shops in VA and MD, just never thought they'd have anything.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Very nice find.

Dumb question but are pawn shop really a good place to check? I live in the DC area and know of TONS of pawn shops in VA and MD, just never thought they'd have anything.

well, I'm a WW2 collector and you would be surprised at the stuff I pull and people in Pawn Shops think it's junk because it's old .Guns are hit and miss though .I pulled 1918 1911 at a Gun/Pawn Shop. They had no idea it was a Black Army 1918 1911.The finish on these were different then the "blued" ones.you can see in my pics where the finish in a few areas flaked off and has a brownish patina which is common and they thought it decreased the value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom