• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I only have 6 bullets.
    If I were to have more than 6 bullets I would have them in a few locations.
    Maybe some in storage, mom's garage, my house, and maybe some at another relatives.
    I would buy bulk ammo when it was on sale.
    While I prefer brass cased ammo I would buy cheap steel cases ammo if it was a super deal knowing my guns will run it or I could trade it.
    I would keep a min. of 2k rounds for each caliber I may want to shoot.
    I would look at ammo as a 401k plan and we all know it's worth it to diversify.
    While I was buying whatever ammo was on sale I would also buy reloading components so I can make more if given the opportunity.
    Spare parts kits for guns would also be an investment for me.
    Kinda like a sewing kit, You don't plan on losing that button but if you do you kinda need the one thing that can fix it.
    Glad I only have 6 bullets since I don't have room for much more.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    100,000!? I would say you can never have too many rounds but 100,000? Looks like you are going to be a retailer after SHTF. Haha

100k rounds of 22lr really isn't that much. Obviously 22lr isn't the best SHTF round, I just mentioned it for a stockpile of casual plinking. I've gone through 1000 rounds of 22lr in a session, easily. That would only be 100 sessions.

However, if it did come down to it with SHTF, I'd rather have a lot of 22 than a lot of nothing. :)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    100k rounds of 22lr really isn't that much. Obviously 22lr isn't the best SHTF round, I just mentioned it for a stockpile of casual plinking. I've gone through 1000 rounds of 22lr in a session, easily. That would only be 100 sessions.

However, if it did come down to it with SHTF, I'd rather have a lot of 22 than a lot of nothing. :)

thats a lot of 22lr for a session.. my thumb will be sore after 200rds loading the mag.. :lol2:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My stockpile

1k of 762x39
    1k of 762x51
    350 12ga bird shot (4-8 shot)
    A little less than 1k of 22
    800-900 9mm rds
    300 40 cal
    50 38 spl :(
    250 .44 mag rounds

And a butt load of 16 gauge even though my 11-48 is down right now :(

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I don't buy spare parts for my AR's I have spare AR's for my AR's
    I'm with Maui, but I do have spare parts for when there's a lull in the shooting...
    The problem is, if you gotta get out of Dodge, how much ammo weight can you carry on your back? You need water (or a purifier) as well. I agree a few bricks of .22, 1000 .223, and a boatload of shotgun shells, from 00 to 7's are needed. that's 3 guns, 50 pounds of bullets, and you might still get hungry. Or cold. What about your side arm? need 500 for that as well. I need to make a 80 lb. Pack - which might even have some extra socks in it.... and a jacket.. if SHTF happens in Winter, good luck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    mpdc4511 said:
    My stockpile

1k of 762x39
    1k of 762x51
    350 12ga bird shot (4-8 shot)
    A little less than 1k of 22
    800-900 9mm rds
    300 40 cal
    50 38 spl :(
    250 .44 mag rounds

And a butt load of 16 gauge even though my 11-48 is down right now :(

That would only get you through the first day of a shtf event. :)

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    To put it in perspective, that's about $4,000 worth of .22 ammo. How much of your stockpile budget do you want to put in .22 LR ammo?

That's a good point; I should rephrase... 100k rounds of 22lr isn't astronomical. It's definitely a lot, there's no doubt. I usually buy in 5000 round lots and use about half of it before I buy again (100k rounds would be about $3,500, conservatively). It starts to add up pretty quickly though. Is it a lot? Yeah. Is it too much? I say there's no such thing. :D

But if I have that much 22lr, I will make sure I'm appropriately stocked in my centerfire calibers.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    You only need enough ammo to defend yourself from a handful of attackers. Because lets be honest, none of us are Rambo. But if you do survive an encounter with an attacker...take their gun/ammo. Rinse and repeat

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    if you know how much you have, then you don't have enough... :o)

first, buy what you can afford. some members can afford large purchases, and others buy a box of ammo, here and there.

second, KNOW what to feed your firearms. doesn't make much sense to have a stockpile of ammo that makes your gun choke (no pun).

third, fmj vs jhp. this is tricky because i have both, and prefer to use jhp in my handguns, and both for my carbines (9mm and .40). if you shop around, the price difference isn't that much, unless you buying the top notch stuff (which is usually 20ds or <).

finally, try to focus on your "primary firearms" if you are stockpiling. imo, it doesn't make much sense to focus on your fun gun(s).

++++also, remember one is none, and two is one, when it comes to this.

This is kind of what got me thinking. From my research, a lot of the more affordable JHP doesn't perform significantly better than standard FMJ rounds. So I've chosen to put the savings into additional ammo.

thats a lot of 22lr for a session.. my thumb will be sore after 200rds loading the mag.. :lol2:

Amen to that!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    none of us are Rambo.
    Yup. The smart ones will live -
    those who are firing like crazy make easy targets.
    Problem is,-when you get to a good starter bug out place- pretty quiet, then you see someone, you won't know who to shoot, so you shoot anyone with a weapon. That's a tough swallow.

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    I'm with Maui, but I do have spare parts for when there's a lull in the shooting...
    The problem is, if you gotta get out of Dodge, how much ammo weight can you carry on your back? You need water (or a purifier) as well. I agree a few bricks of .22, 1000 .223, and a boatload of shotgun shells, from 00 to 7's are needed. that's 3 guns, 50 pounds of bullets, and you might still get hungry. Or cold. What about your side arm? need 500 for that as well. I need to make a 80 lb. Pack - which might even have some extra socks in it.... and a jacket.. if SHTF happens in Winter, good luck.

a valid point because ammo/firearms are not the only things you need to hump. :thumbsup:

everyone has their comfortable amount, and i'm certain many are not including that amount on what we would carry, if we had to hump on foot. i prefer to move swift and light, and that 80lb pack doesn't allow me to do that. another reason why many are taking another look at the .22lr ammo.

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    What if it was more of a SHTF like Stephen King's The Stand? I don't mean the religious bits but the "suddenly no more civilization bit." Then there would just be no more anything. You can't buy ammo that isn't being made anymore. I know some people reload but they are using recycled brass, what happens when there is no more brass to recycle?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    What if it was more of a SHTF like Stephen King's The Stand? I don't mean the religious bits but the "suddenly no more civilization bit." Then there would just be no more anything. You can't buy ammo that isn't being made anymore. I know some people reload but they are using recycled brass, what happens when there is no more brass to recycle?

easy, i go to inigoes house.. :lol2:

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010

Drive-by Bayoneting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom