carry” states have lower violent crime rates, on average: 24% lower
    total
    violent crime, 22% lower murder, 37% lower robbery, and 20% lower
    aggravated
    assault. The five states with the lowest violent crime rates are "right
    to
    carry" states. (Source: FBI) Help Maryland become as safe as our “right
    to
    carry” neighbors, Virginia and Pennsylvania.

We feel very strongly about this and the gun rights community is
    becoming
    increasingly organized and motivated. You can be a hero by making the
    common
    sense choice to support the basic human rights of your constituents to
    protect their person, property, and family. We refuse to be ignored on
    this
    issue.

Please do the right thing.

Sincerely,

Name
    Phone

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    thanks a lot. ive always wanted to write a letter, but was never sure just what to write, this gives me a good idea

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    If you're writing to YOUR representatives, consider starting your letter with, "I am a constituent living in ____________"

When requesting appointments with legislators this year, most aides first asked if I was a constituent or not. I got faster responses when asking to see my reps.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    My letter to McMillan....cross-post from THR:

February 19, 2006

Hon. Herbert H. McMillan
    House Office Building, Room 152
    12 Bladen Street
    Annapolis, MD 21401-1991

Delegate McMillan:

I am writing to you as a resident of District 30 to ask for your action on several important bills pending before the House Judiciary Committee.

I am asking for your support and affirmative vote on the following:

HB-12, the repeal of the ballistic fingerprinting mandate, will legislatively end the deeply flawed and ineffective IBIS system that has, to date, not solved a single crime in Maryland and has cost the state millions in sorely needed public funds.

HB-14, the repeal of the integrated safety requirement, will end what has amounted to a de facto handgun ban for legal purchasers in the state. Most handgun manufacturers incorporate sufficient safety features into their products already but the specific parameters of the current law limit what firearms may be sold here.

HB-529, the Constitutional Amendment to affirm a fundamental right of the citizens of Maryland to keep and bear arms, will align our state constitution with that of the United States and thus protect the rights of law-abiding citizens.

HB-589, the Florida style castle doctrine proposal will affirm the right of lawful citizens of Maryland to protect their selves and their families within their homes.

HB-1163, the bill to remove the “good and substantial” clause from the carry concealed handgun permit process. This will remedy the current discriminatory issue process that favors the wealthy and politically connected without regards to the right of self-defense of the general law-abiding populace. This will make Maryland a “shall-issue” state and bring our process into alignment with that of 38 states. In states where shall-issue legislation has been passed, it is well-documented that the crime rate has universally declined. With Maryland’s violent crime rate at the top of the charts in nearly every category, this legislation is one that is long past due.

HB-1382, will recognize the carry concealed permits of the twelve states that currently recognize Maryland’s. This issue is of national significance as there are bills pending before Congress that will enact national reciprocity for those holding carry concealed permits. It is time for Maryland to take the lead in this important movement that will discourage criminal behavior.

I am also asking you to oppose and vote against this year’s incarnation of Delegate Neil Quinter’s Assault Weapons Ban. Why Delegate Quinter is wasting the committee’s time with this flawed and politically motivated bill is unfathomable. Last year’s hearings on a similar bill produced written and oral testimony from the Maryland State Police and other law enforcement officers that these firearms are used in less than 1% of all crimes in Maryland. This is legislation based on emotion and not in the best interest of law-abiding citizens in Maryland.

Delegate McMillan, your vote on these matters is critical during the current General Assembly. Your careful attention and consideration are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    One of the responses I recieved from emails I sent out.

Jason

Thanks for your email. I appreciate know your thoughts on issues of importance to you. On this issue, however, I must disagree. I am not in favor of making it easier to carry a gun.

In my non-delegate hours, I am a prosecutor in Prince George’s County and I have seen far too many examples of the effects that handguns have on people. I’ve also seen little evidence that increasing the number of weapons that non-criminals have does anything substantial in terms of reducing crime. In fact, there are far more examples where those guns have been used against owners or in ways that cause harm and injury to innocent people.

As to statistics, I learned long ago that you can find and manipulate statistics to show pretty much anything. Statistically, for example, there has been a significant decrease in violent crime in Maryland in recent years (no matter what the perception is from reading the newspapers), but I doubt if you would accept that as an argument for not allowing the carrying of weapons.

We live in a culture of unbelievable violence as it is, where idle comments and petty disputes are increasingly resulting in gun violence. We do not need to feed this. In fact, I recall seeing a recent analysis of murder in Maryland that indicated that the majority of victims knew their murderer and that the most common reason was a petty dispute. This was a change from the situation only a few years ago.

While we may disagree on this, I do appreciate you taking the time to write me on this issue.

Best

Doyle

Del. Doyle Niemann

District 47, Maryland House of Delegates

301-858-3326 Annapolis
    240-606-1298 cell
    301-952-3239 State's Attorney's Office

doyle_niemann@house.state.md.us

doyleniemann@comcast.net

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jas,

It looks like PG County residents have the first name to put on their list of what bastards have to go. It's very frustrating when our elected officials say that regardless of what we think they are going to do what they please.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    The bad part is the man is a prosecutor. Everyday he sees the reasons why we need this.:banghead: He's one that really needs to go.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    novus collectus said:
    Yeah, and he failed to note that the murder rate in P.G. is something like double it was 5-10 years ago.

Exactly....in spite of the this state's restrictive gun laws. Of course their reaction is that it's because we don't have ENOUGH laws and therefore need more.:mad54: :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom