• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    AGC's first full blown Steel Challenge match will be Saturday 12 October at 8:30am. :party29:

Registration is open on Practiscore, linky here: https://practiscore.com/associated-gun-clubs-steel-challenge-oct-12-2019/register

Space is limited to 40 guns so jump on that registration quickly. You can shoot two guns (pistol & PCC or two pistols) but each require a separate registration.

Four stages with some being very familiar to regular steel challenge shooters and we are also throwing in a twist on the last stage. If you clean all the stages you will shoot at least 121 rounds so the suggested amount of ammo to bring would be 175 - 200rds.

Match fees are $10 for AGC badge holders and $15 for all others.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Katie has prior commitments that day:sad20: but I'm going to try to go. I won't know if I have to work that weekend until it gets a little closer though :rolleyes: I guess I'll have to take my chances that it doesn't fill up too fast. :tap:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hmmmm, was going to try the steel challenge at Peacemaker at the end of October but this is MUCH closer and I’m a member!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What’s needed in terms of equipment? And is holster certification needed?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What’s needed in terms of equipment? And is holster certification needed?

Besides the obvious (eye & ear protection) a holster with a good gun belt and a mag holster, there is one stage where you will have to reload on the clock.

So what happens if you might be new to steel challenge and don't have a competition holster, belt and mag holster? Come on out anyway, instead of drawing from a holster you can start at the low ready position and you can carry that extra mag in a back pocket.

As far as holster certification required someone from the action shooting committee can correct me but I don't believe so since you are going to be under the direct supervision of an RSO. Plus it would be a little tough to get non badge holders back if they had to go through the holster cert process before a match.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Besides the obvious (eye & ear protection) a holster with a good gun belt and a mag holster, there is one stage where you will have to reload on the clock.

So what happens if you might be new to steel challenge and don't have a competition holster, belt and mag holster? Come on out anyway, instead of drawing from a holster you can start at the low ready position and you can carry that extra mag in a back pocket.

As far as holster certification required someone from the action shooting committee can correct me but I don't believe so since you are going to be under the direct supervision of an RSO. Plus it would be a little tough to get non badge holders back if they had to go through the holster cert process before a match.

I did the 3-gun match yesterday and I am "the public" with no certification. This steel challenge is likewise open to the public and you will be given a safety briefing, with instructions and put you under the supervision of a safety officer so you can draw from a holster. I am speaking without authorization of the AGC, but I'm 99.975% confident of my blather.

I suspect if you are not at a scheduled event, under supervision of an RSO, you will still need the certification.

Last edited:

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

You are correct - Quoted from the "Action Shooting Policy" , page 69 of the Policies and Procedures Manual -

3. Event Director or designee(s) may allow holster use for all shooters in their event only, or make other accommodations (e.g. low ready, from table or box) as they deem safe.

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/agc/pdfs/Policies Procedures Manual.pdf

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You can shoot two guns (pistol & PCC or two pistols) but each require a separate registration.

How does that work? Do you shoot both in the same squad, on the fly? Or is this an AM/PM type thing?

EDIT: Looking at practiscore, I see that in the existing squadding, the same names show up twice, so I guess I've answered my own question.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How does that work? Do you shoot both in the same squad, on the fly? Or is this an AM/PM type thing?

EDIT: Looking at practiscore, I see that in the existing squadding, the same names show up twice, so I guess I've answered my own question.

Ever heard of dual wield like a boss?

Just kidding of course. Typically you would shoot your pistol and then run the stage again with your carbine. Or vice versa.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Ever heard of dual wield like a boss?

Hey, I’ve shot cowboy matches gunfighter style. Now that’s a workout! Maybe this would be my chance to get that Sub2K’s feet wet. Do dual-slot shooters usually shoot their thangs back to back, or spread it out in the squad’s order? Curious.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I did the 3-gun match yesterday and I am "the public" with no certification. This steel challenge is likewise open to the public and you will be given a safety briefing, with instructions and put you under the supervision of a safety officer so you can draw from a holster. I am speaking without authorization of the AGC, but I'm 99.975% confident of my blather.

I suspect if you are not at a scheduled event, under supervision of an RSO, you will still need the certification.

Thank you gentlemen. Didn’t have time to read rules last night. Thanks for the info.
    I have a holster, belt, and double mag holder.
    Don’t need more than three mags correct?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Ohhh..... I'd have more than 3 mags unless you shoot a ton.

I guess it depends on what targets and how they run it. I stopped by Delta's shoot a while back, the big silhouette close point shoot targets are a no brainer but +7 yard accuracy driven small diameter drop plates where you might need two or three shots with a 9mm to finally drop it killed me. I think I had 3 or 4 mags and ran out of ammo before the end of my turn. I'm talking fullsize glock mags so you can imagine how many shots I made/missed.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well, now you've done it. I'm signed up. Will be my second Steel Challenge match, and my first time to AGC. Sounds like good fun. That should absolutely guarantee a direct hit from a hurricane that day.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ohhh..... I'd have more than 3 mags unless you shoot a ton.

I guess it depends on what targets and how they run it. I stopped by Delta's shoot a while back, the big silhouette close point shoot targets are a no brainer but +7 yard accuracy driven small diameter drop plates where you might need two or three shots with a 9mm to finally drop it killed me. I think I had 3 or 4 mags and ran out of ammo before the end of my turn. I'm talking fullsize glock mags so you can imagine how many shots I made/missed.

Got it. I have more mags, need to get another mag holder though

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you gentlemen. Didn’t have time to read rules last night. Thanks for the info.
    I have a holster, belt, and double mag holder.
    Don’t need more than three mags correct?

Like a good adult diaper, depends. On the size of your mags and how well you shoot.

The first three stages are four targets and a stop plate, total of 5 shots (if you don't miss) shot five times. If you're shooting a Glock 34 with 17 round mags and only miss once or twice you could do a stage with only one mag change.

If you're using a Glock 43 you're going to need at least five mags.

Reloads on these stages (unless you completely stink) won't be on the clock so besides a double mag holder any extra mags could be kept in a pocket.

The last stage is 23 targets which will require a reload on the clock and will only be two strings.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Like a good adult diaper, depends. On the size of your mags and how well you shoot.

The first three stages are four targets and a stop plate, total of 5 shots (if you don't miss) shot five times. If you're shooting a Glock 34 with 17 round mags and only miss once or twice you could do a stage with only one mag change.

If you're using a Glock 43 you're going to need at least five mags.

Reloads on these stages (unless you completely stink) won't be on the clock so besides a double mag holder any extra mags could be kept in a pocket.

The last stage is 23 targets which will require a reload on the clock and will only be two strings.

Thanks for the extra info.
    Will be shooting a full size M&P, so 17 round mags. This will be my first one so I’ll see how it goes.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For the purpose of PCC, is an AR9 with an 8" barrel and brace a PCC? Or say, MP5 with brace? Or does a PCC need to be a rifle per the ATF, or what?

Optics rules?

Steel Challenge rules state that a carbine must be just that and that SIG braces etc. are not allowed. You can definitely shoot this but obviously will have to be from the Low Ready position.

Here is a link to the rules which will answer any questions regarding optics:

https://uspsa.org/viewer/2019_SCSA_Rulebook.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom