• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I think they will only do handguns at the MSP???
    As they should.

There's NO paperwork required for a FTF long gun. I do a basic bill of sale for my own records just so I know what's what.

BGOS society members seem like they'd sure prefer it the other way though.....

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Everyone on this forum knows or should know that I'm an upstanding, honest and legit guy who always wants to do the right thing and follow the law. Having said that, in todays marylifornia anti-gun climate, I can think of no circumstance where I would agree to meet at a police barracks to do a transfer of an AR-15 from another individual. We just recently saw this tyrannical state try to pass legislation banning previously bought HBAR's thus making you a criminal for owning something you bought legally. The LAST thing I would want is to be on a government camera legally buying an AR so that they can possibly later use that footage to take it from me. Call me paranoid. I've done FTF AR-15 transfers with people on this forum who offered to sell it to me without an FFL involved if I had an HQL and I was fine with that. Their reasoning was that, if I had an HQL, I had gone through a background check already. If I didn't have an HQL, we could take it to an FFL where one would be initiated by filling out a 4473. That seems 100% reasonable to me. Meet at a polizei barracks to be filmed by the gestapo? No thanks.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I did not read all the pages but back to OP.

Why would a random guy pretend to be the buyer? Why not just have the other guy be the buyer if it was a FTF? Did he have a "I am a felon" tatoo? Does not seem to make sense to me. The whole point of a Straw purchase is to have the legal person buy it for another FOR the back ground check. In this case, it would not seem to make any sense. If he was buying for someone else, why bring him? Why the fake purchaser on a FTF... does not seem to make sense but then again I was not there.

However I often go with people to look over a gun and tell them I approve the gun they are about to buy. Usually its pretty clear I am there for advice... but I could see how this could be mistaken.

A few more questions might have really gotten a clear answer. If he says, "I am good with it" and you snatch the rifle back and jet off... I can see him being a bit pissed. I mean he might have just driven an hour or more and wasted a friends time to have you ride off before getting more info... Now it might be just as you said, but to play Devil's advocate just based off what you posted, it sounds like you might have just been jumping the gun. After all how many straw purchases are there of ARs... mostly always handguns.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I almost always take a friend of mine for no other reason than he's retired, collects firearms and likes to get out of the house. He always looks at it too and gives his opinion. I guess someone could misconstrue that as me making a straw purchase for him.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    7 pages of stuff here - admittedly I didn't read it all, but after reading the initial post, I had 2 thoughts that immediately came to mind:

1.) Based on that description, something seemed off-kilter
    2.) I think you did the right thing to decline to sell
    3.) The fact that they kicked your car as they were leaving confirmed to me that you made the right call

In this day and age with anything firearm related, if ANYTHING feels out of sorts or makes your spidey-sense tingle, the best bet is to walk away from it.

I had a thing back in 2013 with a pistol purchase from another member here. It was right after that travesty FSA2013 got passed, and the MSP was backlogged for weeks. Some shops were releasing the firearms after a 7-day wait, but some were holding the firearms until the MSP got back with the "Not Disapproved." (Continental held a pistol I purchased for over 3 months before I got it out of "jail.") I had asked the buyer to release after the 7th day, and initially I think he thought I was trying to pull a fast one as someone ineligible. I wasn't trying to pull a fast one - I know I'm fully eligible to buy a regulated firearm, and with this purchase, I simply wanted to be able to use the gun without having to wait for months. In any case, words were exchanged and he pulled out of the deal. I wasn't pleased because I really wanted that particular pistol, but figured I could find something else I wanted. After a day or so, we reconvened and went through with it, which was cool - he got the cash, I got the gun, and all was right with the world - MSP finally got back with my "Not Disapproved" about 3 months later.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A buyer responded to my for sale add that I have on here and Armslist (Colt M4A1). Met the buyer in a public place, he had a friend with him. After inspecting he looked at his buddy and handed the rifle over to him. His friend then said "I am good with it"... I took the rifle back and told the guy that I was concerned that he was not buying the rifle for himself, I explained that I would not proceed with the sale. At this point they got very angry, even kicked my car as I was leaving. Not sure, I will do another FTF. Probably will only go to an FFL.

Armslist is full of scammers and crooks. I think you did right by walking away. When your instincts tell you something is wrong...listen to them.

For what it's worth, I frequently ride shotgun (so to speak) with a friend of mine who - like me - likes to shoot and buys too many guns. But he's a bit less marinated in the trends and evolving market, so he asks me to come along as a sanity check. He has - exactly as in your meet-up - handed his prospective purchase physically to me, whereupon I fiddled with it, make some judgement calls, and then handed it back to him saying something along the lines of, "Works for me." That consulting sidekick role could EASILY be perceived as him making a straw purchase for me, when it absolutely is no such thing.

And you may have just thwarted an MSP or ATF sting. Especially the "kicking the car" part. Smells like one to me. Just sayin'... :innocent0

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    OP, why are you dodging questions about selling a rifle you were so eager to buy 6 weeks ago?

Didn’t know I was dodging any questions brother but I’ll gladly answer why I am selling the M4A1. 1st, I am not made of money and the Rifle is sitting looking pretty in my safe. I cant convince myself to shoot it because I look at this rifle as an investment, not as the tool that it is intended to be. The problem is, I want the tool.

It is for that reason I decided to sell and build a combat rifle that I know will never have future value like an unfired colt typically does.

I have already purchased the Colt M4A1 SOCOM 14.5” barrel ($240).

Next I will buy the SOLWG upper and lower receiver, the VLTOR A5 buffer system, colt BCG and a quality upper and lower parts kit. I should still have enough money left over to go to a SOTAR course and learn how to properly build and accurazi it. And then! Well then I shoot the hell out of it!!!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not really sure its an investment. If you hold it until President Warren signs the first gun control bill, it might go up in value. But Colt makes a bajillion of these, so then again maybe not. I say, just let 'er rip.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP, what made you worry about it being a straw sale? Just because his friend went ahead and looked at the rifle? I have had friends ask me what they thought about guns before buying them, and have told them that it looked good to me. Now, if they guy's friend was handing him cash to buy the gun, then that might be a flag. Plus, what did you do to ensure that the actual buyer was no prohibited? Would the friend not have passed the same sniff test even if the friend actually wanted to buy the gun?

Guessing you are in favor of UBC.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    We're doing the best we can interpreting the phrase "(h)is friend then said "I am good with it"..." plus the door kick, to determine whether something was or wasn't right with the transaction. It's hard to do that from select words posted on the internet.

I've sat through communications lectures that taught us that 80% of communication is non-verbal. That means we lose 80% of the total message in a phone conversation. We don't get body language or any other queues to size up the speaker. When you reduce it to reading words in and internet post...you get just a fraction of the remaining 20%.

I take the OP at is word, based on his interpretation of the totality of the circumstances of what he heard and saw with his own eyes.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    OP, what made you worry about it being a straw sale? Just because his friend went ahead and looked at the rifle? I have had friends ask me what they thought about guns before buying them, and have told them that it looked good to me. Now, if they guy's friend was handing him cash to buy the gun, then that might be a flag. Plus, what did you do to ensure that the actual buyer was no prohibited? Would the friend not have passed the same sniff test even if the friend actually wanted to buy the gun?

Guessing you are in favor of UBC.

Just my spidey senses going off, very shifty guy, hard to explain. But the alarm bell that went off in my head said “something aint right, got to get out of here”. That’s the best I can do.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What does "UBC" mean?

Guessing universal background checks?

I'm not thst old, but learned to always trust your gut feeling, if OP thought something was off, he made the right move.

The fact that they kicked his truck speaks about the others characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom