• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beast7

May 26, 2017
    sorry guys but i dont speak the lingo. still confused. so my preban lower can be built pretty much anyway bc you dont register uppers to know when they were purchased? or does the barrel length etc still have to comply?

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    sorry guys but i dont speak the lingo. still confused. so my preban lower can be built pretty much anyway bc you dont register uppers to know when they were purchased? or does the barrel length etc still have to comply?
    Barrel length has to comply regardless of pre or post ban. An upper on a pre ban lower can be built whatever way you like.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Stupid is, as stupid does. Not wishing bad on anyone in our community, but if someone admits to that in an open forum, they deserve whatever they get imo.

People will admit it to officers that ask them about it. Heck, it very well might be an undercover officer asking, "Nice gun, When did you build it up?" Gun owner: "Oh, I built it up last week." Undercover: "How did you have it configured before that?" Gun owner: "It was just a stripped lower before that. Bought the lower back in 2013 but just now decided to finish it." Out come the metal bracelets.

Of course, there is also a MSP memorandum that makes completing a pre FSA 2013 stripped lower a little murky. I'll attach it to this post. Note that the advisory is dated May 16, 2014 and it answers whether a receiver purchased before 10/1/2013 can be built into an assault long gun. MSP says yes.

Then, there is the issue of building these lowers into pistols first and foremost so you have the freedom of making them a pistol or rifle in the future. Once a rifle, always a rifle.

Attachments

• MSP - 140516 LD-FRS-14-003 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf
      186.5 KB · Views: 70

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    But you would have been creating a regulated firearm from a non regulated firearm even before 10-1-13. MSP would not be happy if they check the serial number and find it was originally sold without a 77r or the 7 day wait, not to mention the extra databases MSP checks for a regulated firearm as opposed to a single NICS check for a non regulated firearm.

Bigfoot pointed this out in a previous post.

If I bought a HBAR before 10/1/2013 and changed the barrel on it to a medium contour or thinner prior to 10/1/2013, was there anything I had to do form wise? I don't think so. There was no requirement to notify anybody if the firearm was changed from an HBAR to that of a regulated nature. Was I required to complete a Form 77R upon the swapping of the HBAR barrel to a thinner barrel? I don't think so.

FSA2013 said that any assault long gun that somebody owned prior to 10/1/2013 was grandfathered and the owner could continue to possess it after 9/30/2013. MSP would have a hard time proving that a firearm was or was not in "assault long gun" form prior to 10/1/2013 without the owner's help in providing the evidence and sinking his own ship. With that said, there are plenty of people that blow holes in their hulls.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If I bought a HBAR before 10/1/2013 and changed the barrel on it to a medium contour or thinner prior to 10/1/2013, was there anything I had to do form wise? I don't think so. There was no requirement to notify anybody if the firearm was changed from an HBAR to that of a regulated nature. Was I required to complete a Form 77R upon the swapping of the HBAR barrel to a thinner barrel? I don't think so.

FSA2013 said that any assault long gun that somebody owned prior to 10/1/2013 was grandfathered and the owner could continue to possess it after 9/30/2013. MSP would have a hard time proving that a firearm was or was not in "assault long gun" form prior to 10/1/2013 without the owner's help in providing the evidence and sinking his own ship. With that said, there are plenty of people that blow holes in their hulls.

That is why many people on this board, assembled a soon to be banned upper on every lower they owned.

Some took time/date stamped pics, or mailed pictures via certified mail and kept the envelope sealed.

Others just did to be able to answer truthfully that they had done so.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That is why many people on this board, assembled a soon to be banned upper on every lower they owned.

Some took time/date stamped pics, or mailed pictures via certified mail and kept the envelope sealed.

Others just did to be able to answer truthfully that they had done so.

Yeah, I was part of those battered gun owner threads. Decided not to go the photo or sealed envelope route. The government needs to prove that I did not have those lowers built into a pre-ban configuration before 10/1/2013 if the law is interpreted to mean that. I mean, the receiver is considered to be the firearm, so I already have the "firearm" before the ban went into effect. Then, the MSP requires everybody to complete a Form 77r right now on an AR-15 lower because it could possibly be built into a pistol.

Guessing the enforceability of such a position would be pretty hard for the government, so MSP is taking the position that if the lower was owned prior to 10/1/2013, then it can be built into an assault long gun after 10/2/2013.

Then, there is the pistol issue. If the lower was built into a rifle first, then it can never be a pistol. However, if it was built into a pistol first, then it can be a rifle, a pistol, and back and forth again. What a headache.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I'd say try your best to comply and if anything happens pray you don't get a jury full of people whom happen to own guns. Sad to see too many "2A supporting gun owners" out there that would love to rack someone over the coals for the most minor things.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'd say try your best to comply and if anything happens pray you don't get a jury full of people whom happen to own guns. Sad to see too many "2A supporting gun owners" out there that would love to rack someone over the coals for the most minor things.

If I was ever on trial for a firearm violation, or a hunting violation, I would prefer to have a fellow gun owner or a fellow hunter on the jury versus an anti-gunner or an anti-hunter. Most of the gun owners I know think all these laws are ridiculous, and there is something called jury nullification. Granted, a jury is not supposed to buck the law, but sometimes they do.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    If I was ever on trial for a firearm violation, or a hunting violation, I would prefer to have a fellow gun owner or a fellow hunter on the jury versus an anti-gunner or an anti-hunter. Most of the gun owners I know think all these laws are ridiculous, and there is something called jury nullification. Granted, a jury is not supposed to buck the law, but sometimes they do.

I'm exaggerating but I'd argue that while most say these laws are ridiculous, at the end of the day they'll retreat to the "law is the law even if it's wrong and I don't agree with it."

And this is why I will never be allowed on a jury.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I completely agree. I would think a jury of my peers that agrees with my view of government, rights and due process would produce a a better outcome than a group of people with opposing views.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I was part of those battered gun owner threads. Decided not to go the photo or sealed envelope route. The government needs to prove that I did not have those lowers built into a pre-ban configuration before 10/1/2013 if the law is interpreted to mean that. I mean, the receiver is considered to be the firearm, so I already have the "firearm" before the ban went into effect. Then, the MSP requires everybody to complete a Form 77r right now on an AR-15 lower because it could possibly be built into a pistol.

Guessing the enforceability of such a position would be pretty hard for the government, so MSP is taking the position that if the lower was owned prior to 10/1/2013, then it can be built into an assault long gun after 10/2/2013.

Then, there is the pistol issue. If the lower was built into a rifle first, then it can never be a pistol. However, if it was built into a pistol first, then it can be a rifle, a pistol, and back and forth again. What a headache.

Yeah, but for a while, MSP gave "official" answers, that it was not allowed to build in banned form, unless it existed in banned form prior to 10/1/13.

So the linked official statement is a very good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom