• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    I have $1000 to spend on a gun safe, if it were you buying what would you buy?

Thanks everyone!!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    A bunch of cement blocks, cement, mortar, rebar, thick metal door, lock(s), shelving and hooks, light fixture, light switch and plate, and wiring. Instant basement armory.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Fort Knox, Maverick, 60x18x20. Just a tad under 1K before tax.

Of course the bad news is the 18 week wait. Good safes are as hard to get as good guns these days.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Don't forget to factor in delivery costs. Most dealers ship to your garage door and you have to get it to the final destination. Most mid range safes are fairly similar. Costco and Sam's Club tend to have reasonable deals.

More important than the brand is the fire resistance capability and size.

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    Forgot to add I am wanting to put this on a 2nd floor also. Those Fort Knox look like great safes! Couple I looked at were almost 900lbs tho.

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    Don't forget to add in the cost of getting it moved if you are wanting to put a 900 pound safe on the second floor.

Yeah I'm hoping to find something in the 4-500lb range that I can hopefully remove the door from to save on weight going up the steps as i am going to e moving it myself with a couple buddys. 900lbs would be too much weight to put on the 2nd floor without extra support, esp once loaded with guns and ammo

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Yeah I'm hoping to find something in the 4-500lb range that I can hopefully remove the door from to save on weight going up the steps as i am going to e moving it myself with a couple buddys.

Even at that, PLEASE be careful if you insist on doing this yourself.

If you've never listened to any warning in your life, listen to this one. And I will make it very simple:

When moving even that kind of weight on stairs, when $#!+ goes south, it goes south really fast and often really bad.

Property can be replaced. Hands/legs/lives can't.

What ever you do, DO NOT have anyone under it on the stairs. All it takes is one wrong move.

One of the safe moving classes I took, one of the instructors made the statement: "You ain't a safe mover until you've ridden one of these son of a b****** down a flight of stairs"

Thank God I haven't done it. (But I came close once)

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    What size?

I'd go to Costco.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 377

y.pestis

Apr 2, 2013
    I have $1000 to spend on a gun safe, if it were you buying what would you buy?

Thanks everyone!!

For that you could get a SnapSafe delivered. Being modular, you could move it yourself. Fits well in a closet. Bolt it to the floor. 330 lbs. One hour 2200°F fire rating. If you call them, they can get you one with a La Guard type II dial combination lock. I don't trust electronic locks. I found a fire box that fits nicely on the top shelf for documents and a digital backup.

Remember, always get twice the size you think you need.

This will realistically hold three or four long guns with scopes, a fire box, and 5 ammo cans using the included shelving.

http://www.snapsafe.com/snapsafe-titan-closet-vault.html

Ron

Sent from my Odex Blued GS3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369276231570.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1369276231570.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 351
    • uploadfromtaptalk1369276249953.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1369276249953.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 355

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Most residential codes call for 40#/sq.ft. 900 on the second floor is a bit much

The way I understand it. That means you can have 40 lbs of weight per square foot of floor, the entire floor.
    So if your room is 10x12=120 sq ft. 120*40=4800lbs Live Load.

Live Load= Weight of everything superimposed on, or temporarily attached to, a structure (people, machinery and equipment, furniture, appliances, etc.) but not that of the material utilized in its construction or of anything permanently attached to it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Since you're going to the 2nd floor I'd buy from a dealer that has a stair climber and pay for the delivery. You don't say where you are so I can't recommend anyone. For 1K you should be able to get a decent sized safe and delivery. You're living situation would help define what degree of security you need. I'm in a 3rd floor condo so a Liberty suits my needs. Just get a bigger one than you think you need.

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    For that you could get a SnapSafe delivered. Being modular, you could move it yourself. Fits well in a closet. Bolt it to the floor. 330 lbs. One hour 2200°F fire rating. If you call them, they can get you one with a La Guard type II dial combination lock. I don't trust electronic locks. I found a fire box that fits nicely on the top shelf for documents and a digital backup.

Remember, always get twice the size you think you need.

This will realistically hold three or four long guns with scopes, a fire box, and 5 ammo cans using the included shelving.

http://www.snapsafe.com/snapsafe-titan-closet-vault.html

Ron

Sent from my Odex Blued GS3

I am really liking that one! Might have to look a little more into it! Thanks for the info!

Elynchjr23

Jan 7, 2013
    Since you're going to the 2nd floor I'd buy from a dealer that has a stair climber and pay for the delivery. You don't say where you are so I can't recommend anyone. For 1K you should be able to get a decent sized safe and delivery. You're living situation would help define what degree of security you need. I'm in a 3rd floor condo so a Liberty suits my needs. Just get a bigger one than you think you need.

I am located up in Cecil county. I just had my home built, in the woods off the road a bit so my house can't be seen from the street or by any neighbors. Looking for both fire protection and protection from a thief. There is some rough areas not far from me so I would like to know my stuff is safe and secure

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I am located up in Cecil county. I just had my home built, in the woods off the road a bit so my house can't be seen from the street or by any neighbors. Looking for both fire protection and protection from a thief. There is some rough areas not far from me so I would like to know my stuff is safe and secure

As everyone has said buy big. I bought a Fort Knox safe one size bigger than I thought I could ever possibly need about two years ago....looking for a second safe and I'll be buying one bigger than what I have now.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Get the Fort Knox Maverick. You'll love how it just yells FU double middle finger when you stare at it. They've beefed up the thickness and some other features since it was first launched. Be prepared to wait for it to be built for you though.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    So, getting some work done in the house. Was thinking about doing the cement blocks and rebar thing in the under the stairs cost and putting a vault door on it. What do y'all think of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom