• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Hi, new to the forum so my mistake if this is in the wrong thread.

I recently purchased my first handgun earlier this month. I submitted my 77r on 8/12, bought the gun in 8/17 and picked it up on 8/24. My question is, when does the 30 day reset period end? Is it the day I first submitted the application or the day I actually bought the gun? Kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure before I submit another 77r.

Also I went to a shop in PA and talked to one of the salesperson there. I was looking at possibly the Sig P320 x5 Legion and he said to order it through them so I can get the 17 round mag instead of the Maryland regulated 10 round mags. He said I can pickup the mags now and take them home and then wait for the 7 day period then they’ll send the handgun to a FFL in Maryland. Plus I would not have to pay taxes on the purchase.

Is this all legal? I want to make sure before I do anything or is it better to just buy everything in MD?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD

I recently purchased my first handgun earlier this month. I submitted my 77r on 8/12, bought the gun in 8/17 and picked it up on 8/24. My question is, when does the 30 day reset period end? Is it the day I first submitted the application or the day I actually bought the gun? Kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure before I submit another 77r.

Also I went to a shop in PA and talked to one of the salesperson there. I was looking at possibly the Sig P320 x5 Legion and he said to order it through them so I can get the 17 round mag instead of the Maryland regulated 10 round mags. He said I can pickup the mags now and take them home and then wait for the 7 day period then they’ll send the handgun to a FFL in Maryland. Plus I would not have to pay taxes on the purchase.

Is this all legal? I want to make sure before I do anything or is it better to just buy everything in MD?

The 30 day wait starts the day you take possession. So 30 days from the 24th. Now you could purchase and start the paperwork before then but you cannot take possession of another regulated firearm for 30 days.

Now you can apply for designated collector status HERE and if that comes back before the 30 days, the wait between dates of possession is gone. Its a free application you can submit to the MSP. It does require a notary so they may charge and once you get it, it can lead to a very expensive habit.

As for purchasing out of state, that is an option and if you take possession of the mags outside of Maryland that is legal. The out of state FFL would have to send it to an FFL in Maryland and once they get it, you can start the 77r application and the wait begins. The Maryland FFL will also most likely charge you for the transfer. Taxes are based on the location of the sale.

Personally I would look at the cost difference between the out of state FFL and Maryland FFL to see if its worth it. You can always purchase standard capacity mags out of state and bring them in so if the Maryland FFL is cheaper than the out of state one, then it may be better to go with the Maryland one. Also you are supporting a local business and building a relationship that could prove to be advantageous for you in the future.

Done forget to introduce yourself since you are new to the forums.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    The 30 day wait starts the day you take possession. So 30 days from the 24th. Now you could purchase and start the paperwork before then but you cannot take possession of another regulated firearm for 30 days.

Now you can apply for designated collector status HERE and if that comes back before the 30 days, the wait between dates of possession is gone. Its a free application you can submit to the MSP. It does require a notary so they may charge and once you get it, it can lead to a very expensive habit.

As for purchasing out of state, that is an option and if you take possession of the mags outside of Maryland that is legal. The out of state FFL would have to send it to an FFL in Maryland and once they get it, you can start the 77r application and the wait begins. The Maryland FFL will also most likely charge you for the transfer. Taxes are based on the location of the sale.

Personally I would look at the cost difference between the out of state FFL and Maryland FFL to see if its worth it. You can always purchase standard capacity mags out of state and bring them in so if the Maryland FFL is cheaper than the out of state one, then it may be better to go with the Maryland one. Also you are supporting a local business and building a relationship that could prove to be advantageous for you in the future.

When I buy in Pa, and it gets shipped to FFL in Maryland they charge their customary fee for the service but I never paid sales tax. Hope that does not change!!!

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Thanks for the information and advice. I also went in the Introduction thread and started one there.

Sorry for sounding like an absolute newbie, but for the Designated Collector Status, do I need to show proof that I am buying guns or relics regularly to obtain that status? It seems like why don’t most people try and get the Collector status to bypass the 30 day 77r cool down period (assuming they don’t already)

I have some other shops around me that I could visit and see some pricing and what type of rapport I have with the staff. I initially did not have a good experience with On Target with one of their workers who basically was annoyed or did not want to really answer any of my questions when I was making my initial purchase. I ended up going to Bass Pro Shop to buy my Shield and the staff there was decent but the wait can get a bit ridiculous.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nope, no requirement to actually purchase. Again, use the PA dealer to purchase your standard capacity mags and support an IP here in state to purchase your firearm. Check out the IP listing/map in the header to see who’s close to you. Some IPs even give a discount if you mention your a MDS member! Welcome aboard!

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If the price in PA is good, buy there. Especially if the gun comes with 3 mags, like I think the Sig Xseries does. You'll pay for the transfer in MD, but it will be a wash when you figure not paying tax. If the PA dealer is willing to work with you and the MD will take a transfer. Some MD shops wont take a transfer of a gun they stock. Also, check around for the best transfer fee price. A few around will gouge you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What they said .

Only addition is that the Pa FFL dosen't need to hold on for the 30 day wait . Just ship it to your Md FFL as soon as you pay for it . The Md FFL will be concerned with the timing .

But not really in the current on line age of 77R's . Trust us , MSP is not going to send you the Not Disapproved email before the proper time .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nope, no requirement to actually purchase. Again, use the PA dealer to purchase your standard capacity mags and support an IP here in state to purchase your firearm. Check out the IP listing/map in the header to see who’s close to you. Some IPs even give a discount if you mention your a MDS member! Welcome aboard!

Actually, as of a few years ago, they stopped approving DC letters until after the first handgun purchase.

Not in the law, but how MSP started doing it.

But he has already purchased one, so that is not an issue.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What they said .

Only addition is that the Pa FFL dosen't need to hold on for the 30 day wait . Just ship it to your Md FFL as soon as you pay for it . The Md FFL will be concerned with the timing .

But not really in the current on line age of 77R's . Trust us , MSP is not going to send you the Not Disapproved email before the proper time .

Also, no 7 day wait.

The 7 days starts after it is in the hands of the MD FFL and the 77r is submitted.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

1st day is counted on the day of transfer and through 30 days after that, so count 31 days from the day you picked up your last regulated firearm, and that is when the paperwork will go through as "not disapproved".

Just went through this myself after starting another 77r a week after taking a previous transfer...on day 31 i received the not-disapproved.

While doing so I decided to submit a designated collector application and that came back approved within a week. No more 30 day wait for this guy.. Super easy to fill out and only cost about $4 for a notary at a local FedEx.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Actually, as of a few years ago, they stopped approving DC letters until after the first handgun purchase.

Not in the law, but how MSP started doing it.

But he has already purchased one, so that is not an issue.

A regulated firearm purchase is fine too. So if you bought an AR-15 receiver or similar that’s fine to get your DC letter rolling.

For reason just say you want your letter to further your collection of firearms. Other than someone who has never purchased a handgun or regulated receiver prior to applying, I’ve never heard of Maryland State Police denying it.

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Submitted my application for the DC this Tuesday. Hopefully I get a response or email soon. If I get the DC status, am I still within the 30 day refresh period or can I go and get one immediately?

I can’t figure out whether to get another handgun or rifle lol. Im going to flip a coin and call it a day lol

boconnell13

Sep 6, 2019
    You can actually puchase 2 firearms at the same time without designated collector status, the dealer just has to enter the sale as "dealer discount" the catch is that you must wait 60 days to purchase the next firearm instead of 30 days.

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Got my letter saying my application to be a Designated Collector has been approved. Took less than a week. Glad turnaround time is quick right now. Now I can have more sleepless nights debating on whether to get a CZ scorpion or a Ruger 556 and a cz75 combo lol.

I’m confused cause I called a shop in PA and they said it was available and ready to be brought home but other stores in MD said it was a pistol so it has to go through the same process as buying a handgun. Not sure which info I got was correct/incorrect. And I’m talking about the evo 3 s1 with the faux suppressor.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Got my letter saying my application to be a Designated Collector has been approved. Took less than a week. Glad turnaround time is quick right now. Now I can have more sleepless nights debating on whether to get a CZ scorpion or a Ruger 556 and a cz75 combo lol.

I’m confused cause I called a shop in PA and they said it was available and ready to be brought home but other stores in MD said it was a pistol so it has to go through the same process as buying a handgun. Not sure which info I got was correct/incorrect. And I’m talking about the evo 3 s1 with the faux suppressor.

It really depends on which version of the scorpion that you buy. The carbine version is cash and carry from a PA FLL and the pistol version needs to be shipped to a MD FFL and transferred as a handgun.

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    It really depends on which version of the scorpion that you buy. The carbine version is cash and carry from a PA FLL and the pistol version needs to be shipped to a MD FFL and transferred as a handgun.

I’m not sure of the version when I called the PA store. The store I visited this weekend I believe is the carbine version as it had an adjustable stock and one was with the faux suppressor and the other had a muzzle break/flash suppressor. I’m guessing after researching the different versions is the pistol doesn’t not have the adjustable or folding stock and/or brace?

Joncorleone

Sep 1, 2019
    Picked up the CZ 75B after trying it out this past weekend. Tried the X5 Legion as well and both were amazing in terms of accuracy and feel. The cz75b was just better economically tbh and I can use the savings to buy ammo and practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom