• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just got a Ruger LCP II and had a chance to to shoot 2 boxes with it this past week. It's snappy but not bad compared to (say) a short barrel S&W 44 magnum which I find punishing. Even so - I found myself flinching a lot and my accuracy at 25 yards was not great; it was on the paper and that was about it. I did paint the front sight orange (several coats of enamel paint) and that helped a lot. I got spare mags from Grab A Gun, they were reasonably priced. I think the pocket holster that is included is great; I don't see a need to replace it. Each mag has both flat and extended floor plates. I have shot it yet with the pachmayr grip but I think it will make it more manageable.

Attachments

• 20190316_110449.jpg
      20190316_110449.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 467
    • 20190316_110531.jpg
      20190316_110531.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 444
    • 20190316_110539.jpg
      20190316_110539.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 422
    • 20190316_110546.jpg
      20190316_110546.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 408
    • 20190316_110612.jpg
      20190316_110612.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 463
    • 20190316_110701.jpg
      20190316_110701.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 424

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And I should mention I used hollow points and the weapon functioned perfectly. The slide locked back every time. The mags when brand new are a bit stiff to insert but seem to break in.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Glad you like it. I love mine aka "The Noisy Cricket" when loaded with 6+1 rounds of Double Tap 95gr controlled expansion hp ammo

I think I'll try painting my front sight as well

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Did you have any experience with the prior LCP? Just wondering how much of a difference there is tween the two.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Did you have any experience with the prior LCP? Just wondering how much of a difference there is tween the two.

Now from what I have read on-line;

1. LCP II has SA trigger with a lighter pull, a built in safety paddle, and a disconnect (or block - not sure which) so it's "drop safe" [EDIT - actually - I might be wrong on this point]
    2. LCP II has last round hold open
    3. LCP II has more aggressive grip that is fatter
    4. LCP II had larger sights

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    With regard to being "drop safe"; this is what Ruger says:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    What safety devices are incorporated into the design of the LCP® II?
    We put a significant amount of engineering effort into designing a short, crisp LCP® II firing mechanism that also is safe, reliable and consistent. We then verified the design through our robust testing process.

The LCP® II hammer and sear geometry were designed with significant engagement for a positive lockup. The sear is neutrally balanced and under strong spring tension, which helps prevent disengagement during a drop scenario. In the unlikely event that a significant shock to the pistol results in disengagement of the hammer from the sear, the design includes a hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. Our testing has revealed that this design passes all standard tests and is very safe from discharge due to a drop.

Notably, the LCP® II design features a bladed trigger safety that prevents the trigger from moving rearward without intentionally being pulled. Every LCP® II is shipped from the factory with a pocket holster that protects the trigger when properly utilized.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Sounds about right! Took a while for my mags to feel right, and all behave well now. Have probably put 600 rounds through it. It’s gracefully handled any 380 ammo I’ve tried feeding it. Like you, I don’t find its sharp little bark to be unpleasant. Oddly, it seems easier to shoot than, say, that all-steel Walther PP I’ve got.

The LCP2 is a great little pocket gun. Lived up to my expectations very well, even if I did feel compelled to also paint that front sight (did mine white). I’m not really worried about what it’s doing at 25 yards, as that’s not its mission. I can still land them in the ouchy part of a B29 torso target at that distance if I’m careful, but that gun is more of a get-me-out-this-brawl so I can escape kinda gun.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sounds about right! Took a while for my mags to feel right, and all behave well now. Have probably put 600 rounds through it. It’s gracefully handled any 380 ammo I’ve tried feeding it. Like you, I don’t find its sharp little bark to be unpleasant. Oddly, it seems easier to shoot than, say, that all-steel Walther PP I’ve got.

The LCP2 is a great little pocket gun. Lived up to my expectations very well, even if I did feel compelled to also paint that front sight (did mine white). I’m not really worried about what it’s doing at 25 yards, as that’s not its mission. I can still land them in the ouchy part of a B29 torso target at that distance if I’m careful, but that gun is more of a get-me-out-this-brawl so I can escape kinda gun.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

"Had" an LCP, and sold it immediately after buying an LCP II. Neither is/was all that pleasant to shoot, but of the two, the LCP II is much nicer IMO.

Had actually thought about getting rid of the LCP II since I never shoot it, but as said, the included pocket holster and size of the gun itself, makes for a perfect pocket gun.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    There is a nice difference between the trigger pull for the LCP and LCP II and that was the only reason I dumped the LCP for the LCP II. If I had know about the LCP Custom at the time I bought the LCP I would have bought the Custom instead. Excellent pocket pistols and I haven't had an issue with either. I have the 10th anniversary edition LCP coming which has the same trigger as the custom.

cb51

Last summer I got a LCPII and it's been carried almost everyday since. In Texas hot summer weather it's so easy to just drop the gun in it's pocket holster into the right pocket of my shorts.

I've kept a log and I just made the 1,000 round mark lat week. It's a little snappy, but way easier to shoot than a J frame revolver.

The very first box through it, I had a few bobbles with some Federal hollow points, but since then nothing. No malfunctions of any kind at all.

I did take some appliance touch up paint in bright white and did the front sight and each side of the the rear sight, so I have a three dot sight picture like on the Glock. I helps a huge amount. Out 25 yards hitting the silhouette is not that hard.

I love this gun soooo much, the only time I don't carry it is when I have my Beretta .32 Tomcat in my pocket. The Tomcat is a little bulkier, so the LCPII gets carried the most. I get up in the morning and put my pants on, and the little Ruger is already in the pocket.

cb51

Wouldn’t worry much about 25 yds. More meant for 7 and i am sure you are just fine at that range.

Yeah, but I like to do some practice at 20 to 25 yards, so at 5 to 7 yards the half size silluette seems as big as a barn door. All a matter of perspective. Plus, these days with mass shootings, you may have to take a shot at a longer range. I like to how that the gun and I are capable of it, if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom