• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    Did anybody hear anything about Hogan making EZ Pass free today? It won't cost anything to use?

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    Did anybody hear anything about Hogan making EZ Pass free today? It won't cost anything to use?

Unless I misunderstood the press conference, if you use EZ-Pass at the Bay Bridge the toll is now free. If you use cash, the fee went from $4.00 to $2.50. Apparently there is no cost to obtain the EZ Pass now either.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    EZ tracker system , if i ever go on the run i will put that and my cell phone on a small toy boat and place in the water . Let the chase begin :D

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    There goes hope they will get money to update the damn EZ Pass website....

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Unless I misunderstood the press conference, if you use EZ-Pass at the Bay Bridge the toll is now free. If you use cash, the fee went from $4.00 to $2.50. Apparently there is no cost to obtain the EZ Pass now either.

I think you misunderstood. The transponder is now free. Using EZpass gives a 25% discount on tolls. The cash price for the Bay Bridge is $4, the EZpass price is $2.50.

The transponder itself has had no fee for some time, like 3 years or some such.

They stopped charging a monthly fee for having an EZpass account when Hogan was in charge. They still charged for each transponder ($7.50). Apparently the transponder cost is now free.

See the press release

http://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-categ...ogan-saves-marylanders-46-million-permanently

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    What a guy! Makes me almost want to vote for him again. Now if only he would give us seniors the tax cut on retirement income he promised.:lol2:

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    I think you misunderstood. The transponder is now free. Using EZpass gives a 25% discount on tolls. The cash price for the Bay Bridge is $4, the EZpass price is $2.50.

ok that makes more sense then. He was using a magic marker crossing out prices on a sign and the one next to EZ-Pass said "free" which was confusing. Figured maybe he would allow it to be free at the Bridge and then just raise the tolls at the other ones without saying anything lol Still a pretty nice reduction.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Now they should go back and refund everyone who wasted money on the stupid things before they were free to get

They are refunding some. According to the press release:

In addition, the MDTA will replace nearly 400,000 aged transponders that are currently in circulation at no cost to customers. Anyone who bought a transponder in 2018 will be issued a credit of $7.50 as long as the account is registered and in good standing. Customers who bought a transponder this calendar year will see the $7.50 credit on their accounts in the next several weeks.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Question, how does the HOV/carpool setting work on the VA transponders in VA? It’s supposed to be cheaper during peak times? Flip a switch and it’s free or reduced, or I may be incorrect. And as a MD resident, can I get and use said device instead of my one setting MD version?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Question, how does the HOV/carpool setting work on the VA transponders in VA? It’s supposed to be cheaper during peak times? Flip a switch and it’s free or reduced, or I may be incorrect. And as a MD resident, can I get and use said device instead of my one setting MD version?

RTFM

from the VA EZpass site https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/New-Flex.aspx

E-ZPass Flex Transponder
    Toll-free travel on High Occupancy Toll and the 64, 66, 95/495 Express Lanes
    E-ZPass Flex is an E-ZPass with an additional switchable feature designed specifically for those traveling on Virginia High Occupancy Toll (HOT) or Express Lanes. This innovative transponder will specifically benefit those who are traveling with the number of people in their vehicle required to qualify for an HOV discount (2 or 3 depending on the roadway).

When you have the required number of people in your vehicle for that roadway, you can simply slide the switch to the right and the Flex transponder will display "HOV ON." Do this before entering the roadway and you can ride the designated HOT or Express Lanes without having to pay any tolls. For those riding with fewer than the required number of people in the vehicle, just slide the switch all the way to the left, covering the words "HOV ON," and travel the designated HOT or Express Lanes at the posted toll rate. E-ZPass Flex also works like a standard E-ZPass on all other toll roads in Virginia and wherever E-ZPass is accepted regardless of the position of the switch.

Please Note: Users who have not used their Flex transponder for HOV transactions on Express Lanes for a prior six month period will be required to exchange their Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade charge of $10. This only applies to transponders issued after October 1st 2014.
    see also the Express lane website https://www.expresslanes.com/using-ezpass on getting a flex transponder. They are supposedly available in MD.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco

Someone on another forum asked a similar question today. I logged onto my ezpass account and when I clicked the "order additional transponders" there was an option for the flex, at $16.50. The standard was $0.00. and some sort of license plate version for $12 or so.

Edit: to clarify, that was my Maryland ezpass account

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom