• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Ok, now it's just getting ridiculous. I just tried to get a shotgun today so I could start trying my hand at trap shooting tomorrow. A simple Mossy 500 12 gauge. Cash and carry, right?

Well, apparently not for me. This is my fourth non regulated purchase in about the last year and EVERY one of them had needed "further review." Is it unusual to have this happen on EVERY purchase?! I don't have a common last name and my record is as clean as can be. What gives?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Perhaps the fact you don't have a common last name is what is slowing you down, if someone else with a similar last name is getting into trouble.

It's surprising how many names seem uncommon but when viewed from a statewide or nationwide perspective still have enough numbers to include people getting into trouble. I have what I think is a very uncommon first and last name, but when I ran it through a people search engine there are at least four people with the same first & last name in Maryland. Two of them have a habit of getting locked up, one seriously who lives within five miles of my house. I'm surprised I haven't gotten delayed because of it.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Do you have a security clearance? I hear that'll cause a delay a lot of the time. No idea why.

Previously, it was renewed 10 years ago for OIF, but I haven't been in any position to use it since then.

Perhaps the fact you don't have a common last name is what is slowing you down, if someone else with a similar last name is getting into trouble.

It's surprising how many names seem uncommon but when viewed from a statewide or nationwide perspective still have enough numbers to include people getting into trouble. I have what I think is a very uncommon first and last name, but when I ran it through a people search engine there are at least four people with the same first & last name in Maryland. Two of them have a habit of getting locked up, one seriously who lives within five miles of my house. I'm surprised I haven't gotten delayed because of it.

It's definitely uncommon enough that I shouldn't have any issues, especially when when folks with common names breeze through.

I'm really thinking the clearance thing is what keeps getting me.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe you can fill out paperwork through the NICS website or your local gun store for a personal ID number and when you fill out a 4473 you give that number and NICS will then know who you are. And your delays will stop.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I'm really thinking the clearance thing is what keeps getting me.

I seriously doubt it. Especially if you haven't had an active clearance for some time (I assume OIF = Operation Iraqi Freedom?).

I would bet money that someone with your name did some bad stuff.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe you can fill out paperwork through the NICS website or your local gun store for a personal ID number and when you fill out a 4473 you give that number and NICS will then know who you are. And your delays will stop.

Ahhhhhhh yea, Your Welcome.

Feb 28, 2013

Ahhhhhhh yea, Your Welcome.

:confused::confused::confused:

Why would a clearance make it take longer?
    Shouldn't matter. I have a Hazmat endorsement on my CDL, which requires my fingerprints getting run through DHS. I never had any problem with cash-and-carry rifles. I walked out of the Gun Shop with my SKS.:)

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Thirding the UPIN suggestion.

I have a rather common last name - at least for around here (it's rare where I'm from, oddly enough). My wife and I both are on "middle initials specified" bases with a lot of stores in order to keep collisions down.

I've found myself saying "The M is for it Matters"

krucam

Ultimate Member

You apply to create a VAF.as mentioned for a UPIN.

You can request a VAF (Volunary Appeal File packet from FBI

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/voluntary-appeal-file-video

Thirding the UPIN suggestion.

I have a rather common last name - at least for around here (it's rare where I'm from, oddly enough). My wife and I both are on "middle initials specified" bases with a lot of stores in order to keep collisions down.

I've found myself saying "The M is for it Matters"

+4 for the VAF/UPIN route. I had 3 unregulated purchases Delayed in quick succession before I said enough. The required fingerprints may be harder now in this Livescan era. It will take a couple months to come back from WV after submission.

Bought (here in TX) my first firearm using my UPIN in September for an M&P Shield, which is 4473-only here.

I walked out with it in 10 minutes...along with the un-needed spent shell casing in the box...

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The only time I ever got delayed, I forgot to put my SSN# down. I don't think clearances have any impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom