• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I need to degrease an AR-15 without removing carbon. I'm new to the AR-15 having just picked one up. I see there are lots of videos with all kinds of ways to clean the rifle using many different products.

Can someone point me to the recommended way if there is one to 1) clean in general and also 2) degrease leaving carbon if that's different?

Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why?

Why do you want to "degrease?"

Why do you want to leave the carbon?

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Watch a couple youtube videos. For 99% of my firearm care, a can of brake cleaner, a bore snake, and some Mobil 1 synthetic works well. A dedicated cheap toothbrush and maybe some q-tip cotton swabs for getting any residual gunk. There shouldn't be any grease on things you will normally touch on an AR.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I need to degrease an AR-15 without removing carbon. I'm new to the AR-15 having just picked one up. I see there are lots of videos with all kinds of ways to clean the rifle using many different products.

Can someone point me to the recommended way if there is one to 1) clean in general and also 2) degrease leaving carbon if that's different?

Thanks.

Sounds like someone is going to, needs to take Chads class!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Brake cleaner or GunScrubber will degrease in a hurry. Just don't get it on plastic parts.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Watch a couple youtube videos. For 99% of my firearm care, a can of brake cleaner, a bore snake, and some Mobil 1 synthetic works well. A dedicated cheap toothbrush and maybe some q-tip cotton swabs for getting any residual gunk. There shouldn't be any grease on things you will normally touch on an AR.

+1

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks. I had read that the solvents in those products can damage some parts. So I was wondering if there's a recommended way.

Maybe take out the BCG cleaning it thoroughly and then wipe down other areas with patches that show grease.

Brake cleaner or GunScrubber will degrease in a hurry. Just don't get it on plastic parts.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can get aways with just wiping the gun dry. Don't forget to pull the buffer spring and wipe all that stuff dry to. Make sure to wipe every part and surface dry. That should be good enough. Run an oily patch down the barrel followed by a few dry patches to dry it.

You can go over everything with an alcohol dampened rag afterwards.

I've been to many of his classes.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    That's a good point about the buffer spring. Thanks for reminding me.

You can get aways with just wiping the gun dry. Don't forget to pull the buffer spring and wipe all that stuff dry to. Make sure to wipe every part and surface dry. That should be good enough. Run an oily patch down the barrel followed by a few dry patches to dry it.

You can go over everything with an alcohol dampened rag afterwards.

I've been to many of his classes.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Thanks.

I mean really you cannot clean it wrong, use proper solvents to clean bore and BCG and anywhere else in the upper assembly with carbon fouling , leave the gas tube alone. Personal favorite is Hoppes #9 for everything except barrel, patch out for the barrel. Patch with mobil 1 down the barrel, mobil 1 dipped BCG with a layer of syth grease on the bottom and synth grease on the charging handle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I mean really you cannot clean it wrong, use proper solvents to clean bore and BCG and anywhere else in the upper assembly with carbon fouling , leave the gas tube alone. Personal favorite is Hoppes #9 for everything except barrel, patch out for the barrel. Patch with mobil 1 down the barrel, mobil 1 dipped BCG with a layer of syth grease on the bottom and synth grease on the charging handle.

He needs it dry for SOTAR class.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Does anyone else grease their buffer springs? I use grease intended for the M1a bolt carrier group. It's fairly light and I think helps with cycling. I had a sticky buffer spring once and it was causing some issues with cycling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom