• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Glad to see this tradition is still alive and well. I couldn't wait for the snow to fall when I was a kid. My best buddy and I would head out the minute it stopped snowing and shovel walks, driveways, or stuck cars way after dark. I seem to remember a few times we didn't stop until 11pm. Didn't get rich, but back then, we were lucky to get $2 per job. But at the time, I thought I was on the top of the world.
    My two kids helped several elderly neighbors during the last big storm. They didn't ask for any compensation, just being neighborly, but brought home over $150 anyhow, despite thier protests!!

What dropped me on the floor was my son asking how much he needed to put towards the snowblower operation/maintenance!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My two kids helped several elderly neighbors during the last big storm. They didn't ask for any compensation, just being neighborly, but brought home over $150 anyhow, despite thier protests!!

What dropped me on the floor was my son asking how much he needed to put towards the snowblower operation/maintenance!!

Hope you told him $25. Then put that money aside for when he asks you for something and you can give it back and say “here ya go, this is what saving does. It allows you to buy what you need”. Sounds like a responsible son. Good job!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Hope you told him $25. Then put that money aside for when he asks you for something and you can give it back and say “here ya go, this is what saving does. It allows you to buy what you need”. Sounds like a responsible son. Good job!

I think it was $20 and I actually put it into maintenance/fuel. Both my kids are very responsible with thier money, both have savings accounts and IRAs!!! Son completed the Culinary Arts program at our local votech as a Junior and got a job at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse this summer. He managed to get his job counted for an Internship as a Senior!
    Just had his Eagle Scout Court of Honor last Sunday!! Yes, pretty responsible......

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm going with almost 2 if not 2 more inches of fresh snow make that fresher snow so far

*****We've got close to a foot here in MoCo and it's still coming down. It was nice to break out the snow blower and finish the driveway in like 10 minutes while my actuary and super smart PhD neighbor spent almost an hour trying to start his snow blower. Ok, the kicker... its...... wait for it..... ELECTRIC!!!!:sad20:

I finally helped him get away from the manual, and just showed him the safety switch order... Press button, depress handle and the thing runs!!! Amazing!!!!

I told him in passing that I was in high school for 6.5 years so I'm no dummy! :lol:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    *****We've got close to a foot here in MoCo and it's still coming down. It was nice to break out the snow blower and finish the driveway in like 10 minutes while my actuary and super smart PhD neighbor spent almost an hour trying to start his snow blower. Ok, the kicker... its...... wait for it..... ELECTRIC!!!!:sad20:

I finally helped him get away from the manual, and just showed him the safety switch order... Press button, depress handle and the thing runs!!! Amazing!!!!

I told him in passing that I was in high school for 6.5 years so I'm no dummy! :lol:

a foot of new snow or total ? neighbor :lol2:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I cant believe schools are closed tomorrow. The roads here were clear by 9am

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Roads in Wheaton were clear to blacktop at 1030 when I came to the station. Currently, traveled roads in Wheaton/Glenmont are at about 1.5" and only occasional glimpses showing road markings. Side roads are completely covered and slippery. I had to use the OnSpots on the last two calls when in the neighborhood streets or I would not have gotten up the hills. More and more cars sliding everywhere.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Roads in Wheaton were clear to blacktop at 1030 when I came to the station. Currently, traveled roads in Wheaton/Glenmont are at about 1.5" and only occasional glimpses showing road markings. Side roads are completely covered and slippery. I had to use the OnSpots on the last two calls when in the neighborhood streets or I would not have gotten up the hills. More and more cars sliding everywhere.

Most of the roads I have been on between moco and PGC have been seriously snow covered. Snow and packed snow nothing particularly slick. Its actually easy snow to drive in as its packed enough to grip but not ice. As always a mix of aggressive plowboys (contractors) and people who have no business by skill or vehicle capability being out there. That said, few clearing activities. Refreeze tonight should make things interesting.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA

....and for you non-FD types.....this would be OnSpots..... OnspotPic.jpeg

Very handy when you have varied road conditions that would tear up regular chains.....i.e. clear main roads, covered side roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom