• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Building a new pistol lower and used a ergo grip with the screw it came with

installed it and at about 80% of the way in it wouldnt go in anymore so i tried to unscrew it and it wouldnt budge. ended up stripping the screw so i cut the grip off and Dremeled a flat cut into it so a flat head would fit and that didnt work either

i used heat and wd40 and sure enough the whole head of the screw came off so im out of options

is there anyway to retap the lower or is it a total waste?

Note: i compared the size of the screw with some other spares i had and this one, for some unexplainable reason (thanks ergo), appears to be slightly thicker than the other grip screws which would explain the fitment problem

kyserthehun

Jul 24, 2016
    Building a new pistol lower and used a ergo grip with the screw it came with

installed it and at about 80% of the way in it wouldnt go in anymore so i tried to unscrew it and it wouldnt budge. ended up stripping the screw so i cut the grip off and Dremeled a flat cut into it so a flat head would fit and that didnt work either

i used heat and wd40 and sure enough the whole head of the screw came off so im out of options

is there anyway to retap the lower or is it a total waste?

Note: i compared the size of the screw with some other spares i had and this one, for some unexplainable reason (thanks ergo), appears to be slightly thicker than the other grip screws which would explain the fitment problem

Sounds like you've had a hell of a day. Definitely try a heat gun like everyone else is saying. You can retap it as well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sounds like you may have to drill it and use an ez-out. They sell them at the hardware store but drilling it is the precision part.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Stainless steel screw probably. I was working on an MRI room wall and they 118 stainless steel screes that had to be used to secure the foil screen bewteen the MRI and its cooling room. Got 117 screws in no problem. 118 seemed to go in fine and at 80% liked hard and eventually broke. It somehow got cross threaded and seized tried everything

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Who made the lower??

I had that same problem here recently...

I didnt yet shear or cut it off.

Heat and vice grips are next on the agenda

American Defense so id rather not scrap it lol

Sounds like you may have to drill it and use an ez-out. They sell them at the hardware store but drilling it is the precision part.

yeah im gonna try that next cause i really dont want to scrap it

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I've had screws that were too long or screw holes to shallow. I guess it's good to test them out to make sure it will seat fully so the grip can be snug without the screw being overly tightened.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    First off get rid of that wd40. If the screw was stainless they are generally very weak. If the easy out works and the threads are good you should re tap the thread. If threads are bad try drilling and inserting a heli coil.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    First off get rid of that wd40. If the screw was stainless they are generally very weak. If the easy out works and the threads are good you should re tap the thread. If threads are bad try drilling and inserting a heli coil.

thanks, good advice. i tried all kinds of lube but i just didnt want to waste my gun oil on it. ill drill it out and see which of these ideas would work best

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I think many on the forum would recommend Kroil for penetrating oil or maybe PB Blaster.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    while you're at the hardware shop get an impact driver, if you can manage to make a hole that any bit can be very tightly jammed into. You know, the tool people usually use for rusted on hardware? you hammer it and the impact of the hammer turns the end a hair at the exact time. I tend to use an impact driver before using any other items that you risk destroying any threads you dont want destroyed. If possible make the slot you made into a phillips style to use a phillips head with the impact, or drill an actual hole and try fitting different bits, (square, hex, torque,) and find the tightest one.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    It would be good to have pictures of the situation. If you can not grab on to anything left of the grip screw. It might be best to try to grind a flat of what’s left of the screw with a Dremnel , center punch and step drill out the bad screw. Many of the materials being used have inferior foreign materials steels are being used. Many of the accessories being sold are coming in from China even though the cost of those accessories do not reflect where they are being made.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    It would be good to have pictures of the situation. If you can not grab on to anything left of the grip screw. It might be best to try to grind a flat of what’s left of the screw with a Dremnel , center punch and step drill out the bad screw. Many of the materials being used have inferior foreign materials steels are being used. Many of the accessories being sold are coming in from China even though the cost of those accessories do not reflect where they are being made.

Drilled through the bolt before someone mentioned what a screw extractor was, bought one of those and actually got the screw out but the threads were kind of mangled because i dont own a drill press :sad20: so i just retapped it and used 2 1/4x28 helicoils

it appears that its fixed right now, a stock a2 grip screws in tight with no play but im not really sure how helicoils work normally or under vibration

i might add some kind of removable thread locker to it when i order another grip

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Drilled through the bolt before someone mentioned what a screw extractor was, bought one of those and actually got the screw out but the threads were kind of mangled because i dont own a drill press :sad20: so i just retapped it and used 2 1/4x28 helicoils

it appears that its fixed right now, a stock a2 grip screws in tight with no play but im not really sure how helicoils work normally or under vibration

i might add some kind of removable thread locker to it when i order another grip

I have seen spark plugs that have lasted in engines for years using helicoils.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I know plenty of aircraft that have helicoils in them. If the helicoil is installed correctly, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom