• Not on your life.

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Well before the boating accident I was known to own a couple of AR-15's. I've built AR's with shilen barrels that were a sub MOA rifles. I've built SBR rifles that were incredibly smooth and fast shooting, and I've built classics to replicate what I shot in basic training. I've built about a dozen or so rifles for friends, family, and myself. I would not attempt to build a m1a or a M1 Garand. I've had a handful of AR-15, but all shot very differently and had different rolls. The 223/5.56 is a great round to use to expose kids or new shooters to the center fire world. I think the transition from a 22lr to a 30-06 Garand is kind of a dick move for newbies. The AR-15 is an incredible platform.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    It's one of the few platforms out there that will allow me to go from target/self-defense/hunting at a price one can afford. I push two pins and 300 upper for hogs/deer or back 5.56 upper for self-defense/smaller game/deer or paper. Change my load and I'm ready for just about any game here in Maryland save bear. Chris

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like to tell folks that "I'm rumored to own..."

But, this is, FTMP, family.

I have never been an "AR Guy"... But, with the advent of FSA2013, I ended up with some number of lowers (more than none) that I will build out some day.

I didn't "want" them, but I'll be damned if they're going to tell me I can't have them!!!

An HBAR might, some day, find its way to the bottom of a body of water, too...

;)

I want to understand the viability of them, though. Will be an interesting ride.

Because of that law and the possible expansion of it, that is why I'll shortly be the owner of an AR-15 lower once my 7 days is up. I am not big on AR-15s, but I am not agains them either. I'd really rather a Mini-14 and M1a, but the later had been banned and the former I have no cheap way to get insurance on.

I may never want to build anything from the lower, but I'll be really pissed if I decided not to get a receiver and then lose my chance. I am looking at building it out sooner rather than later in case they effectively ban me from doing that (though that would take creative language), but still not thrilled about it but don't want to take the chance of never being able to.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I bought a H-bar AR varmint rifle about ten years ago and that was that. I really don't have love for the platform and didn't buy anymore, BUT when MOM and the General Assembly weenies told me I wasn't allowed to buy these anymore it kind of irritated me. I might have bought six stripped lowers and might have built four of them so far into a big #* to the weenies.

My military type rifles of choice have actuating handles on the side of the receiver.

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I never wanted an AR. We were all appalled when we heard they were replacing our M-14's with that small-caliber POS. I left before it actually happened and never thought twice ... until MD said we couldn't ... Maybe I did anyway.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    I got into a conversation online a while back with someone who was asking why someone would want to possess an AR15 as his understanding was it was a "weapon of war". He couldn't understand what a civilian would do with one. He got a few "fu@k you" type responses but he seemed to be genuinely inquiring about practical applications for an AR so I engaged him. I've used this response several times since then when I encounter someone who is asking sincere questions and not being a douche

Sporting:
    To start with the AR is a wildly popular firearms for events like 3 - gun competitions. If you aren't familiar with 3 gun comps here's a little primer (that's an ammo joke) from Field and Stream. 3 gun is a lot of fun.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/2015/06/the-beginners-guide-to-3-gun-competition

A variation on 3 gun are "zombie shoots". Kind of the same idea but you shoot at little zombie targets - another good way to spend an afternoon.

Target shooting:
    This is probably where I spend most of my AR time. The AR is a very flexible platform. You can attach a bi-pod to it for target shooting and other accessories. Also unlike a fixed stock gun like a hunting rifle typically has, you can add a collapsible stock so it can be adjusted for different size shooters. Unlike a bolt action rifle or a shotgun the AR has very little recoil. My daughters can't really effectively shoot a shotgun, it's big, heavy and has a lot of recoil but they can target shoot with the AR all day long.

Hunting:
    Here in Maryland you aren't allow to hunt deer since the AR 15 shoots such a small caliber bullet but in other States you can. It's considered by many to be under powered for medium and big game hunting. I know several farmers and ranchers who use the AR as a "varmint" rifle for dispatching ground hogs, coyotes and such. The AR is also a very popular choice for wild boar hunters. Finding yourself faced with one or more charging boars you are going to want a firearm that responds quickly and has decent ammo capacity.

Self Defense:
    This is probably where the AR 15 shines the most. A short-barreled AR-15 is far superior for self-defense inside of a house than either a pistol or a shotgun. Hollow point, soft point, or frangible .223 bullets have less drywall penetration than .45 ACP or 9mm rounds and will produce less recoil making it a better choice for small adults, teenagers, or even pre-teens. It also can accept magazines with a capacity for 20 and 30 rounds which is important - we'll get to that in a minute.

The AR 15 also has less penetration than 00 buckshot and is more predictable. In both cases, one would be safer firing any of the previously mentioned .223 rounds inside of a home as the lower drywall penetration and higher accuracy will reduce the chances of hitting a target that one did not mean to hit, as well as doing less damage to the house itself. I personally like the 40 grain V-Max for home defense.

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Also, in an active shooting situation a person's fine motor skills deteriorate as the fight or flight response kicks in and that has serious implications. Your hand are shaking, you are breathing heavy etc etc. Someone who is leisurely target shooting at the range can probably hit a fix target 90 % of the time. In an active shooting situation that same person might only hit an assailant 20% of the time. So with a 10 round magazine the defender might only land a couple of hits.

Despite what hollywood portrays people don't just magically fall down when they get shot unless you manage a critical head or spinal shot. You often have to shoot the attacker multiple times to stop them. That's why you often hear that police fired 20 or 30 rounds at a suspect. Many of those rounds aren't hitting the target and even the ones that do hit don't necessarily stop the assailant.

If there are two or three attackers you may need quite a few rounds to stop them all. A 30 round magazine is EXACTLY what you want and as noted the AR 15 is an excellent defensive firearm. It's adjustable, low recoil, can have an attached flashlight and laser and excellent capacity.

So those are some of the many reasons why the AR is the single most popular rifle in the country. Widely used every day by millions of people for lawful purposes.

DoNoHarm

by action or inaction
    Oct 9, 2008
    Balto City
    I bought one years ago in the midst of a potential ban scare (well before 2013) - definitely "just-in-case" they'd become unattainable.

I'll admit I've never fired it! I don't have much time to devote to shooting, so what I do have I usually devote to my pistols. I'd need guidance with the AR platform - thought I'd take a class but it just hasn't happened. No armed friends or neighbors, sadly.

And honestly the weapon just doesn't call to me. I'm actually getting close to giving it up, as I dislike owning a gun I'm not 100% comfortable with.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I bought one years ago in the midst of a potential ban scare (well before 2013) - definitely "just-in-case" they'd become unattainable.

I'll admit I've never fired it! I don't have much time to devote to shooting, so what I do have I usually devote to my pistols. I'd need guidance with the AR platform - thought I'd take a class but it just hasn't happened. No armed friends or neighbors, sadly.

And honestly the weapon just doesn't call to me. I'm actually getting close to giving it up, as I dislike owning a gun I'm not 100% comfortable with.

School of the America Rifle. This will get you all set.

http://www.schooloftheamericanrifle.com/

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I never had an interest in this platform in the past. I just never "got it". SB-281 and 300BLK changed that.
    I bought a mini-14 some years ago from a friend that needed the cash. I shot .223 and the cost was just too high for the type of shooting that I had available to me. I lost interest in that round. The AR's that I had shot did not fit me well and I've never had an interest in tactical gear.
    Fast-forward to 2013.....I must buy an AR-15 Now! My only reason to get one was because of the ban. I had a Saker 762 (because it was on sale), so I built a 300BLK rifle and a second upper in 5.56.
    then I built a dedicated .22LR AR-15 pistol and have started a precision build. I "get it" now.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Self Defense:
    This is probably where the AR 15 shines the most. A short-barreled AR-15 is far superior for self-defense inside of a house than either a pistol or a shotgun. Hollow point, soft point, or frangible .223 bullets have less drywall penetration than .45 ACP or 9mm rounds and will produce less recoil making it a better choice for small adults, teenagers, or even pre-teens. It also can accept magazines with a capacity for 20 and 30 rounds which is important - we'll get to that in a minute.

The AR 15 also has less penetration than 00 buckshot and is more predictable. In both cases, one would be safer firing any of the previously mentioned .223 rounds inside of a home as the lower drywall penetration and higher accuracy will reduce the chances of hitting a target that one did not mean to hit, as well as doing less damage to the house itself. I personally like the 40 grain V-Max for home defense.

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

Hey I love the 40 grain vmax rounds myself and I have a mag full in my my mini 14 in my bedroom. I had seen a couple of YouTube videos describing great performance for HD out of these rounds, and that link backs up this claim. Plus these can be found relatively inexpensive is another plus. However when I run out I may replace it with XM 193. I initially couldn't believe it when a number of trusted sources recommended that for HD, but I'm a believer now

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Other than I just like them and can use them to teach newbies easily.
    Can be made very accurate, my two primary competition rifles are ARs.
    Endlessly tinkerable.
    Multiple caliber options if you choose to go that route.
    Just plain fun!

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Bought one originally because of talk they might be outlawed. After shooting it,relized how much fun they were. Once I found out they would be banned. Bought more just because I could along with really liking that platform. Inexpensive to shoot, accurate and plus a chance to own a scary black rifle that drives liberals crazy.):

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's accurate, it's lightweight, it's dependable.

In spite of closing in on 60 years old, it's still relevant. The poly-framed piston-driven wunder-rifles will eventually replace it just like the poly-framed pistols replaced the Hi-Power and 1911. But it will forever be a piece of American history, and one of the few rifles worth owning more than one of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom