• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AForever

Jul 21, 2020
    SYKESVILLE
    Anyone noticing the recent uptick in Law enforcement trade ins? Not complaining but wondering if this has anything to do with riots or getting new gear for departments before funding dries up? I’m Looking for a nice model 21 in lightly used condition at a 20 percent discount and Glock LEO trade ins are some fine guns at fine prices when you can find them.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm imaging that the decision was made long before the riots (protests?) started on anythung you see for sale now. That's probably a long and involved process.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    Some of that has to do with Depts transitioning to 9mm from .40/.45. It costs less to train w 9mm and bullet technology has helped the 9mm.

dkim73

Feb 15, 2009
    True! Ammo is crazy right now ... I guess w everything else. Also, I did not know about the .40's durability issue. I can't even get 12G slugs or 00Buck for my new shotgun.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    9mm not much cheaper than .40cal and .45 auto right now.

During the last rush I was caught flat footed and actually ended up buying a LEO trade in .40 on the cheap because I could actually find food for it without having to take out a second mortgage on the Stove Palace.

I paid $300 for whatever the number is a mid size Glock. I'll bet I haven't shot that thing in 5 years or more.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    During the last rush I was caught flat footed and actually ended up buying a LEO trade in .40 on the cheap because I could actually find food for it without having to take out a second mortgage on the Stove Palace.

I paid $300 for whatever the number is a mid size Glock. I'll bet I haven't shot that thing in 5 years or more.

I got a g27 around $275 and have been using it with a 9mm wolf barrel.

Then last week a helped a novice friend get some pistol practice. I had 350 rounds of 40 and a little over a case of 9 in the safe. So friend got to practice with .40 cal. I just couldn’t see wasting 9mm right now.

Then this past weekend I got off my ass and reloaded 940 rounds of 9mm for good measure.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The FBI says 9mm is good and they're going back to it, which is good enough for a lot of departments. 9mm gives a couple more rounds in the magazine, which is never a bad thing, and newer hollowpoint bullet designs have about the same results for all of the major calibers in the gel expansion tests. In theory 9mm ammo is cheaper due to a smaller amount of base components.

The trade-ins make sense too. Night sights go dim, springs need replacing, magazines wear. Between logistics and the armorer time to inspect and refurbish a couple hundred guns, it's simpler to get new ones every once in awhile and be done with it.

2AForever

Jul 21, 2020
    SYKESVILLE
    What durability issues are you guys talking about?, I had heard that the .40 outperforms the 9mm and 45 ballistically but that most LEO agencies had gone back to the 9mm for logistical reasons, cheaper ammo, more easily controlled by female officers and magazine capacity as well. Have any of you had problems with the .40 Glocks?

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    What durability issues are you guys talking about?, I had heard that the .40 outperforms the 9mm and 45 ballistically but that most LEO agencies had gone back to the 9mm for logistical reasons, cheaper ammo, more easily controlled by female officers and magazine capacity as well. Have any of you had problems with the .40 Glocks?

Maybe other members can provide more insight or sources. Glock had the unsupported 40 barrels early on leading to a few case ruptures. I have also read a few articles mentioning the Glock 40s wearing faster than the 9s. More parts breakage, down time, etc.
    My department is getting rid of P229 in 357. I have personally witnessed a handful of pistols develop frame cracks along the dust cover and frame. A lot of wear with that hot round.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Have any of you had problems with the .40 Glocks?
    Our department had issues with the high pressure on the 40 caliber breaking frame rails. During gun inspections we would find critical damage to an unacceptable amount of guns. Glock stepped up and bought them back and sold us 9mm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Our department had issues with the high pressure on the 40 caliber breaking frame rails. During gun inspections we would find critical damage to an unacceptable amount of guns. Glock stepped up and bought them back and sold us 9mm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

What gen were the old ones?

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    There's a shop to the south of me in GA. that had a bunch of Glock 22 and 23 for cheap ( 199.00 to 225.00), They had some holster wear and the Night sights were dim or dead , I don't have any 40 ammo but ordered a 9mm conversation barrel's and some new night sights , Had them send them to a local FFL here and unlike MD transfer fee's here are around 25.00 for the 1st gun and 10.00 for each additional gun. So if your not real concerned about how they look for a utility gun Used Glock PD guns can be a deal .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There's a shop to the south of me in GA. that had a bunch of Glock 22 and 23 for cheap ( 199.00 to 225.00), They had some holster wear and the Night sights were dim or dead , I don't have any 40 ammo but ordered a 9mm conversation barrel's and some new night sights , Had them send them to a local FFL here and unlike MD transfer fee's here are around 25.00 for the 1st gun and 10.00 for each additional gun. So if your not real concerned about how they look for a utility gun Used Glock PD guns can be a deal .

Police dept guns are always carried but never shot.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I have heard the anecdotes about .40 always being available, but never really paid any attention (I don't have one, and never felt the need). Is it still like that for this go round, or has everyone caught on to that trick?

Starting a brand new caliber sounds crazy...but if it makes financial sense, I could make room in the safe for a .40 or two :innocent0

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have heard the anecdotes about .40 always being available, but never really paid any attention (I don't have one, and never felt the need). Is it still like that for this go round, or has everyone caught on to that trick?

Starting a brand new caliber sounds crazy...but if it makes financial sense, I could make room in the safe for a .40 or two :innocent0

Not a clue.

Since the madness started I have been in a gun shop (2A) exactly twice.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not a clue.

Since the madness started I have been in a gun shop (2A) exactly twice.
    You're missing out on the shit show!:D

I just checked SGammo. All the cheap .40 is cleaned out (and not exactly cheap...about the same as pre-panic .45acp).

Nuts.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

It might be available but you’re paying a premium for the ammo. It’s my least favorite caliber for my Glocks. The larger the frame the better it can handle it, ie my 24 shoots a lot softer than my 27. Back when Walmart did their virtue signaling it could be found cheap as everyone grabbed everything but. No longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom