• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Reach out to some FFL's that you would not mind driving to and see if they would be interesting in purchasing any of your collection or putting them up for consignment.

See what they would give you outright and/or what their consignment fees are and decide what option you would like to go with.

If you want money now and the price works, that may be the easiest.
    If you consign, they could sit in the shop for a long time and you may have to take them back if they do not sell.

I've gone both routes and it is relatively painless.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Ha, I agree with all the recommendations here.

Post a list here with suggested prices. Long guns can be purchased face to face legally in Maryland. Hand guns require a FFL to conduct a background check, have the buyer meet you at a local FFL to do the transfer. You get 100% of the sales price and very little hassle.

Guns that don't sell within a week, take them to a local gun shop and sell on consignment. The dealer handles all the work and takes a cut (my local dealer is 15%) and cuts you a check for the rest. They handle the background checks and responsibility, but take some of your profit margin.

I bet if you list them here at fair $ you will sell them quick, relatively painless.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Give some thought also to what your collection consists of. Traffic is of course always key. But some shops, when it comes to consignments, are going to do a much better job than others with say, your hunting rifles. Your .mil and tacticool examples, not so much. And of course, depending upon how a particular shop is geared, the opposite will be true as well.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Another key I find is a willingness to haggle

Gun owners love to haggle. At least I know I do

Yes, I agree. Even if I get just a few dollars knocked off I feel like I got a great deal. Then tell my wife “ I had to buy it, it was just too good of a deal”.:lol2:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Gunbroker is hands down the best, not even close. MDS classifieds is the absolute worst since so many people are bargain hunters and want to brag about how cheaply they bought something. I tried to sell a 590 Mariner on MDS at a very good price of $425 and got a few low offers, one of which was $300. Someone finally bought it at asking price and put it on GB, bid is $549 with $30 shipping, lol

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    The key is knowing what the guns are worth.

If you know what they are worth, it's easier to sell them yourself. Especially the cash and carry long guns.

If you don't know what they are worth it makes it a lot harder because you might spend hours and hours doing research and still be wrong, either screwing yourself out of more money by selling too low or chasing away buyers by pricing too high.

If the latter is you, using someone else to do the selling is a great option. It costs a little bit because they take a cut, but they are motivated to sell them for as much as they can just like you are. And they have an existing customer base that you don't have. That often makes it worth the money to let someone else do the work.

You just have to make sure the consignment seller actually does know what the real market value of your stuff is. Otherwise they may take the first low ball offers that come along just to move it.

This is true for selling anything. I'm trying to sell a bunch of old Coke and Natty Boh stuff right now and I don't know what it's worth. But I'm too stubborn to let someone else sell it so I've thrown my own advice out the window. So trust me when I say it's better to let someone else do it....a lesson I repeatedly refuse to learn myself.

Oh, and sell your stuff now rather than say....after the election. If you want to maximize profits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom