• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    .45 USP is hard to beat... I'm a YUGE fan and well it's an Hk so...'nuff said. Having said that--from my experience, the Springfield .45 XDm is every bit as accurate, no reliability issues at this point (only 10 years and a few thousand rounds down range though) eats everything I've fed it (just like the USP) and the mags are less expensive. It's weighty for sure...just like the USP. My XD came with interchangeable back straps. Enjoy your hunt and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I wanted a CZ97, but they aren't as readily available as the S&W M&P 45, so I got that. For whatever reason it took me months to shoot it and when I did it shot low. Figured it was me, but over time no matter how I braced it, it shot low. Did some calculations, figuring if I'm off a little bit with buying a new sight it will still be better than the 3.5" off before a new sight. Got a new sight. Got it put in and it's been ok since.

Came across a CZ97 and bought it. It didn't like the ammo I reloaded...wouldn't set off the primer. It was fine with factory ammo. CZ's response was, if it's good with factory ammo, then ok. Gunsmith found the firing pin to be a couple hundredths short and CZ sent another and it's worked fine ever since.

I've only had 2 .45's and both had something wrong, but I've got 3 9mm handguns and they were fine outta the box. Still, I do like that big ass CZ97. Very nice gun ergonomically. I have small hands and it's a looong reach for the mag release, but I'll still take it over the S&W M&P.

I confess, I'm a CZ fanboy.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    I've had a Springfield XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP since before HQL. 13 rounds is a plus and magazines are normally available just over the state line in DE.
    Very manageable IMO.

Another path to follow is S&W Model 25 in either ACP or 45 Colt. Both are N frame guns and manage recoil very well. Downsize is only 6 rounds.

Good luck with your hunt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any real man will have at least one 1911.

So many choices, you need to narrow. Do you want a full size pistol? Compact? Carry? Competition? What?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like my Glock 21. Got a Glock 20 slide off Gunbroker now I have both. Also have the Glock 30S.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Only 45 I own I bought before the HQL became law...not getting the HQL. I have the FNP Tactical and enjoy shooting it more than the HK USP 45 I traded for it. Suppressor host eventually and got a non threaded barrel if carrying it ever becomes an option. Can't beat 15 + 1 of 45 in a handgun. Wish someone would come up 20 rounders or extended base plates for the 15s.

I second this endorsement. I have owned my FNP Tactical 45 for about 10 years. I own a Glock 30 (not the SF) as well. Clearly, the FNP is not really a reasonable concealed carry gun unless you're a giant but it is a great low recoil home defense and range gun. I put a 3 MOA RMR on mine that makes me almost as accurate as the pistol. The Glock 30 is a great smaller 45 that is more suitable for carry, albeit still fatter than its Slim Frame cousin.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Any real man will have at least one 1911.

So many choices, you need to narrow. Do you want a full size pistol? Compact? Carry? Competition? What?

Them's is fightin' words, mister...

I can't quickly find the sights on 1911's. Something about the ergonomics for my (girly) wrists. I have to tip the muzzle down so far it's distracting for my shooting. I have that with Glocks, too. Not with the CZ's and S&W's and XDm's, I just put the gun out in front of me and the sights are right there waiting to line up.

(put in the "girly" to satisfy your "real man" claim).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I can't quickly find the sights on 1911's. Something about the ergonomics for my (girly) wrists. I have to tip the muzzle down so far it's distracting for my shooting. I have that with Glocks, too. Not with the CZ's and S&W's and XDm's, I just put the gun out in front of me and the sights are right there waiting to line up.

Having the sights naturally line up for you is a "clue" that's the pistol design for you. 1911s are like that for me...full size Glocks are not. It's not that training and familiarity can't overcome that but what's natural for you is usually best.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Go big. I only own one handgun in .45acp, it's a Glock 41. All the goodness of Glock in a longer sight radius. Ignore this comment if you're talking about concealed carry.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I didn't care for the safety lever, it sits in a spot right where I want to put my thumb, where most other pistols with a thumb safety seem to feel fine with my thumb on top, or underneath the lever. I did the "light" LEM conversion to a short reset light 2 stage DAO trigger, similar although lighter cleaner and overall better than a GLOCK trigger. The pistol is a tack driver, but the sights do hit low with most ammo, unless you line them up, and put the dot on the front OVER the bullseye instead of lining the top of the sight blade with the bottom edge of the bullseye, GLOCKs and many other combat pistols shoot the same way.

The safety on the USP45 was the only thing I didn’t like about it. I wanted the LEM version but couldn’t find it available at the time so I figured I would try the safety and do the conversion if I hated it. It made it to the range twice before I did the light LEM conversion and it is so much better. For some reason HK’s have really big safeties in awkward places. I have no issues with the safeties on my M&P9 5”, M&P40, or Kimber Ultra Carry.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I admit that I long wanted a Sig 220, but I never felt like shelling out that kind of money.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Glock 21SF is nice - wish I'd have bought one before the Marylandanski Soviet imposed the dreaded HQL on the People. SIG 220 is very nice. Basic Springfield Armory 1911A1 will do the job and you can decide on options later. If I were buying today, I'd go with the Glock.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If I was only going to have one .45 it would have to be a 1911. Come to think of it, that's the only .45's I have!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The safety on the USP45 was the only thing I didn’t like about it. I wanted the LEM version but couldn’t find it available at the time so I figured I would try the safety and do the conversion if I hated it. It made it to the range twice before I did the light LEM conversion and it is so much better. For some reason HK’s have really big safeties in awkward places. I have no issues with the safeties on my M&P9 5”, M&P40, or Kimber Ultra Carry.

Definitely, I rarely shot it before the LEM kit, but after it's pretty much a hammer fired gun with a really really good GLOCK trigger and no annoying thumb safety. It's a tack driver, and can handle 45super out of the box, but will also feed really light 185gr loads too(under 1kfps) that have very light recoil. Now it's my "3 gun heavy" pistol, and I shoot it more than any other 45.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've been considering buying a 45 caliber handgun, after having owned a 9mm, Walther PPQ, and was wondering if anyone had 45 guns they really like. I'm trying to do my due diligence and research the available options, before committing to a buy. Ideally I will try to rent/borrow all the handguns I'm considering, so I get a sense for how they shoot.

So far I've had the opportunity to try out a USP 45, which I was surprisingly a little disappointed with, as the gun did not run as smooth as I expecting. People online put the USP 45 at god tier levels of good, but the gun I shot had extremely harsh recoil and shot very low. This could be due to the particular pistol being a well used rental, but still not a great first impression given the reputation the USP has. I'll want to try it out at another range before writing it off.

I've also tried the FNX-45, which is my definite favorite so far. Very smooth shooting and accurate. If I were to make my decision based on just my experiences with USP and FNX, I would go with FNX.

That being said, I was curious if there are other guns anyone thinks I should look into and try out? I'm generally looking for 45's like the USP or FNX, modern double stack handguns, but I don't have a preference for hammer fired vs striker. I've heard good things about the P320 in 45 as well as the PPQ in 45, so those are on my list to try next.

Try as many as you can - typical mantra. PPQ45 rental I shot @ SEG was good. I had an FNP-45 before they changed name. Had a kaboom in it a few years back and haven't replaced it. Not the guns fault, bad ammo I guess. The HK45T is another superb shooter. M&P 45 is decent as is the XDM. And Glock 21/41. I really like the PPQ but it's not milled for an RMR. Top picks are the FNX45T, HK45T, Glock 21/41MOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom