• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Go with the PALS, especially since it has loop also and you could still use a swift clip capable placard.

Sorry, didn't put my brain in gear and scroll through the pictures to see that indeed, there is swift clip.

Attachments

• 455izo.jpg
      455izo.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 398

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks folks. I've been looking for something that could go on under an oversized shirt or under a jacket as then have the potential if needed to add "stuff".

I've got a chest rig that I'm also working on because it can be rolled up and stuff in a bag in the car. It could easily go over top of this if I weren't too concerned about concealment.

I'm not looking to be all "tier 1". Just some common sense civilian defense type protection.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks folks. I've been looking for something that could go on under an oversized shirt or under a jacket as then have the potential if needed to add "stuff".

I've got a chest rig that I'm also working on because it can be rolled up and stuff in a bag in the car. It could easily go over top of this if I weren't too concerned about concealment.

I'm not looking to be all "tier 1". Just some common sense civilian defense type protection.
    I want to see YOU in an “oversized shirt”

B cubed

Boogaloo Big Boy

Heaven help you if a stiff breeze comes up whilst wearing your “oversized shirt”. You’ll need a halyard and a sheet to manage that thang...not to mention a salty crew if you decide to come about in heavy seas.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I want to see YOU in an “oversized shirt”

B cubed

Boogaloo Big Boy

I'm changing my name to that which means in the ancient language "He Who Wants To Be Left Alone".

I'm looking at this like a fire extinguisher......better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

This nonsense that we are seeing is going to get worse leading up to the election.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Amen. I get it. I am all about gray man.

Indeed, “don’t f with me” and “I’m blending in” are two great approaches.
    Very different here than there I might add.

I appreciated the thread. Have my kit by now and honestly, never thought it was “under a shirt” gear for someone my size never mind yours. My old Second Chance and or Point Blank boarding officer kit is more likely concealable. Imo, anything with plates ain’t gonna hide under anything but an anorak, rain jacket or coat for us bigger boys...wide and or tall. Hawaiian shirts are only so big and no matter how hard I try, I can’t bring myself to wear a moo moo.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    OK, so along with this discussion I am looking for another set of plates. Preferably something lighter than the steel ones I currently have. Where is a good source and reputable source for plates. I've seen them at shows, but dont know if I want to trust a life to someone peddling plates at a gun show....

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    OK, so along with this discussion I am looking for another set of plates. Preferably something lighter than the steel ones I currently have. Where is a good source and reputable source for plates. I've seen them at shows, but dont know if I want to trust a life to someone peddling plates at a gun show....
    What level of protection are you looking for, and what is your budget?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton - I have the Slickster if you want to try it on?

It would pretty much be a moot point because both Ferro and Spiritus are made of unobtanium right now from what I am seeing.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Sierratac. Their Hesco 210 are affordable.

I wouldnt get the 200 series. They are rated for only a few very specific threats and handgun. Move up to the 400 series or 600 series. And if you want a little bit lighter/thinner then spring for the 800 series. But 400 series at the minimum. Just my opinion.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Amen. I get it. I am all about gray man.

Indeed, “don’t f with me” and “I’m blending in” are two great approaches.
    Very different here than there I might add.

I appreciated the thread. Have my kit by now and honestly, never thought it was “under a shirt” gear for someone my size never mind yours. My old Second Chance and or Point Blank boarding officer kit is more likely concealable. Imo, anything with plates ain’t gonna hide under anything but an anorak, rain jacket or coat for us bigger boys...wide and or tall. Hawaiian shirts are only so big and no matter how hard I try, I can’t bring myself to wear a moo moo.

Yeah I went with a concealment plate carrier (have to go look at the brand) and some shooters cut Level IIIa VISM plates. UHMWPE soft armor IIRC (it’s like 20 thin layers seven together). Semi-flexible. Weighs about a pound each. About half an inch thick. A loose t-shirt could conceal it. Better to wear a bit of a baggy button down shirt of jacket over it.

It’s my “if I’ve gotta go to a REALLY bad area and don’t want to announce myself”

Also lives under my bed. One for me, one for my wife. My level III+ steel armor with spall covers stays down in my basement Gun room. It’s slower to don. And frankly if I need rifle protection in seconds, I am likely not walking away from whatever is coming.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have had some for awhile, actually back when I lived in MD. I bought a basic US Palm carrier with certified IIIA kevlar panels. I later picked up both certified Level III AR500 and ceramic plates. I stuck the AR500 plates in a tactical vest/carrier I have (I seldom if ever use it as its really heavy for my age these days). I usually either just use the IIIA ballistic panels in the USP carrier as its hard to see its being worn or I add the ceramic plates in front of the kevlar panels for more protection and the basllistic panels acts as a cushion.

The soft panels behind the hard plates do not simply act as a cushion for comfort. The soft ballistic panels are intended to stop separated pieces of the hard panels ("spalling") as well as fragments of projectile which get through the hard panels.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm changing my name to that which means in the ancient language "He Who Wants To Be Left Alone".

I'm looking at this like a fire extinguisher......better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

This nonsense that we are seeing is going to get worse leading up to the election.
    Amen to that brother! I have lived most of my life trying NOT to be noticed.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I wouldnt get the 200 series. They are rated for only a few very specific threats and handgun. Move up to the 400 series or 600 series. And if you want a little bit lighter/thinner then spring for the 800 series. But 400 series at the minimum. Just my opinion.

Dont know where you read that... This is info from multiple sites:

5.56x45mm-M193: 3150 ft/s (6 hits)
    7.62x39mm-M67: 2390 ft/s (6 hits)
    5.56x45mm-M855/SS109: 3150 ft/s (6 hits)
    7.62x39mm-M43 (Mild Steel Core): 2390 ft/s (3 hits)
    7.62x39mm-API: 2390 ft/s (1 hit)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I watched the first of several videos this guy has up. He's former military (maybe Marine since he keeps ragging the Army), but he seems to have a pretty sensible approach to things.

I like the low profile aspect of it, while still being able to build it up if the need arises.

I believe he was a SEAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom