• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Plenty of WV's minimally maintained "regular" County roads are gnarlier than designated 4x4 tails .

yeah the Canaan Loop Road between Blackwater Falls State Park and Rt 32 near Canaan Valley State Park is pretty nice 80% and then pretty gnarly 20%.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A modern designated OHV Trail actually exists , and is intended to be passable by at least a certain percentage of modern OHV .

WV "public roads" only signify that a public right of way existed at the time of the Foundational Survey of Pre-existing Roads in 1923 . Doesn't mean any maintaince or usage in the past 90 plus years . Plenty of "roads" exist on paper ( aka Detailed County Maps ) that essentially don't exist, between reforestation, wash outs, and slides. Not to mention after a cpl of decades of no use by outsiders, the locals will fence off , and put No Trespassing signs on public ROW .

With WV " public roads " , I've had to give up and retrace back out, when I haven't ( yet) had to do so in Maryland or USFS " designated trail" .

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    A modern designated OHV Trail actually exists , and is intended to be passable by at least a certain percentage of modern OHV .

WV "public roads" only signify that a public right of way existed at the time of the Foundational Survey of Pre-existing Roads in 1923 . Doesn't mean any maintaince or usage in the past 90 plus years . Plenty of "roads" exist on paper ( aka Detailed County Maps ) that essentially don't exist, between reforestation, wash outs, and slides. Not to mention after a cpl of decades of no use by outsiders, the locals will fence off , and put No Trespassing signs on public ROW .

With WV " public roads " , I've had to give up and retrace back out, when I haven't ( yet) had to do so in Maryland or USFS " designated trail" .

Would you mind sharing where some of these roads can be found? I'd love to get out and explore a little. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom