• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    The ruling affected buying directly from an out of state FFL.

FTF sales were not part of the suit AFAIK. Still need an FFL for an out of state purchase. It just doesn't need to go through an FFL in your home state.

IANAL.

Can we just call it the gun store loophole in the ruling? ;)

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    My understanding as well, we are on the same page.

Interstate handgun sales processes should be identical to the interstate long gun sales processes.

What sucks: the ruling only applies to the 5th Circuit jurisdiction. We need to get the opinion national.

The ruling currently only applies to the Northern District of Texas. The applicability to the 5th Circuit only occurs when the 5th Circuit reviews the case.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The ruling currently only applies to the Northern District of Texas. The applicability to the 5th Circuit only occurs when the 5th Circuit reviews the case.

It is not even binding in the N.D.Tx. No district court decision is binding on any other district court judge.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    But given the defendant is the USAG, if whatever policy change comes about as a result of the case wasn't applied to all, wouldn't that raise 14th amendment issues?

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    The ruling affected buying directly from an out of state FFL.

FTF sales were not part of the suit AFAIK. Still need an FFL for an out of state purchase. It just doesn't need to go through an FFL in your home state.

IANAL.

You forget, some states are free. Our state has no ffl involvement in face to face sales. Just swap green for cold blue, shake hands and walk away. Once finalized, wouldn't that mean all is well selling to anyone?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Umm, unless I'm mistaken, and I could be, District Court decisions do not apply nationwide until SCOTUS hears the case (if they even grant cert) and issues a ruling. In fact if I'm not mistaken, they don't even apply to the Circuit until they hear the case first and issue a ruling. The ruling applies to both the plaintiff and the defendants for now as I understand this.

IANAL

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Umm, unless I'm mistaken, and I could be, District Court decisions do not apply nationwide until SCOTUS hears the case (if they even grant cert) and issues a ruling. In fact if I'm not mistaken, they don't even apply to the Circuit until they hear the case first and issue a ruling. The ruling applies to both the plaintiff and the defendants for now as I understand this.

IANAL

I wonder if NICS employees have post-it notes on their monitors listing the plaintiffs from this case. :D

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

IANAL
    Yup, but these things have a way of jumping into other courts. Holder is already appealing, so we're looking at an appellate decision in 18 months or so.

Chipping the stone wall takes time, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom