• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The author is indeed a board member. Some of you have correctly identified them. They do not wish to have their screen name identified. Thanks for your assistance.

Great letter to the editor, thank you for speaking up for our cause.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    During testimony in the last legislative session on a bill to ban mere possession of magazines holding more than 10 rounds, Baltimore police testified that not one of the shootings in Baltimore last year was perpetrated by a lawfully-carrying gun owner. Most criminals had prior arrests and should have been in jail, and far and away the weapon of choice was a handgun, not an AR-15 or a shotgun. More gun restrictions are not the answer. Prohibition did not work and the 50,000 annual deaths from illegal drugs is a modern day example that criminals will get the goods that they seek. Guns are not the problem. If they were, every gun show would be a blood bath. Instead, we find the blood baths in places like Virginia Tech, San Bernadino, Parkland, Aurora, Orlando, and too many more — most of which were gun-free zones.

Wellllllll.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Is it a coincidence that the areas with the strictest gun laws are also the most violent?

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Great article! I was looking for an example of a Sun article that I saw online months ago with the crime stats and guns used etc. I have reached my free usage of the Baltimore Sun this month without a subscription but I am pretty sure this is the article

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...7-homicide-data-breakdown-20180103-story.html

It was surprisingly, blatantly pointing out the fact that stolen handguns were the overwhelmingly used weapon in the vast majority of the crimes by people with criminal records along with other stats. It was obvious from reading that article that anyone with half a brain could tell that the problem lies in the criminal element, not the guns or lack of laws in the state. In searching for that article, I came across the page below. You know that your city has a crime problem when you have to go to this extent to create a webpage of this magnitude to outline your homicides..... This page is unbelievable!

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun...e=all&age=all&gender=all&race=all&article=all

Great to go back and read that Sun article. Who would have thought it makes sense to go after criminals for doing illegal things?

Nielsg

Oct 14, 2013
    What I wish for...

Is for a moderate position I could support. I am all in for the 2A, but I reject infringing on Women's rights. Why can't we let everyone live and let live? Why does electing politicians who are for the 2nd, mean they are against liberal social policies that let people live their damned lives as they see fit...

Can't we deal with the issues one by one... I hate conservatives for their positions based on obsolete religious views, and I hate liberals for wanting to limit my rights to live a lawful life and not doing anyone any harm...

Sigh... sucks to be in the middle... But Molon labe...

Niels

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm not sure this isn't a moderate position worth supporting. It's only the most partisan of Democratically run states that do not honor or issue carry permits without requiring people to be special in some way.

Also, what are the "Women's rights" you refer to? There's women on the political right, including here in MD. Who's taking their rights?

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Is for a moderate position I could support. I am all in for the 2A, but I reject infringing on Women's rights. Why can't we let everyone live and let live? Why does electing politicians who are for the 2nd, mean they are against liberal social policies that let people live their damned lives as they see fit...

Can't we deal with the issues one by one... I hate conservatives for their positions based on obsolete religious views, and I hate liberals for wanting to limit my rights to live a lawful life and not doing anyone any harm...

Niels

I'm not sure this isn't a moderate position worth supporting. It's only the most partisan of Democratically run states that do not honor or issue carry permits without requiring people to be special in some way.
    Also, what are the "Women's rights" you refer to? There's women on the political right, including here in MD. Who's taking their rights?

Niels can chime in if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about abortion but is afraid to use the word. In my experience, those who defend abortion using such terms without actually using the word abortion lack any real conviction or have defensible, logical arguments. I'm pretty sure this thread is about to turn into a shit show.
    Welcome to the board, Neils. Great first post.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

One could argue (and my wife certainly has) that Trump IS the guy on the right(er) side of things that we've been long waiting for in that regard. Yes, for keeping-the-base-together-for-getting-elected-reasons, he's given some campaign-season lip service to the wishes of the dwindling hardcore religious types. But he's no evangelical, and seems blissfully free of allowing that sort of throwback orthodoxy to cloud his more practical pursuit of getting useful things done.

His stance on Roe v Wade is oriented more around the fact it was a clumsily constructed and arguably unconstitutional bit of awkwardness that should be back in the hands of state legislatures (and, ideally, congress). I don't think he's actually a personal crank on the topic of a woman a few weeks pregnant grappling with that issue. Regardless, Trump knows it's OK to signal his (very common) general distaste for abortion (especially of the late-term variety) while recognizing that pretty much any new SCOTUS member he seats will leave it well enough alone for all the obvious reasons.

I don't think Trump gives a rat's ass about anyone's sexual orientation, but he's willing to listen to military brass and bean counters on the sensibility of taking on the logistical and medical expense ramifications of inviting onto the DoD budget someone who is essentially stating, "As soon as I'm signed up, I'm looking for the taxpayers to pony up for tens of thousands of dollars worth of surgery and a lifetime of drugs." Looking out for the orderliness and rational budget concerns of the DoD is NOT NOT NOT the same as being a medieval-minded religious scold on the subject generally. One might recall that he was on the record supporting gay marriage long before either the Clintons OR Obama changed their stance on the matter.

In many ways, Trump is exactly the socially moderate, "normal person" that many more contemporary GOP and libertarian-minded folks have been desperate to see shake up the stuck-in-the-mud conservatives that need to get off the one-note religious fixations and focus on liberty, fiscal rationality, defense, and the rest without constantly signaling their urge to run the place like a theocracy. I'm very glad those voices are fading right along with Tammy Faye Baker's mascara - they're one of the reasons the insane left was able to get broad traction over the last 30 years, and the existence of those puritanical voices on the right is one of the only reasons that the left's current scare tactics about Roe and the rest sound plausible to the low-information public. The religious end of the right is STILL GIVING AMMO to the left on that subject, and thus making fights over things like immigration and 2A harder for us all.

Yes, real life in elections means sometimes we choose strange bedfellows. Whatever unease I have with some of the fringe-ish hard right religious types, we can all get along better than I could ever get along with the vanishingly small number of mostly-sensible people that accidentally find themselves on the D side. Nice to see the "#WalkAway" movement making headway there, that's for sure.

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    :goodpost:

I think that sums up the way a lot of us here feel. There's just too much ramming "MUH FEELZ" down everyone's throat the last half decade. Hopefully moderation and real tolerance (NOT virtue signaling) will become fashionable again.

I'm not sure how this one slipped by but it lays out a well reasoned and well written argument for fewer restrictions on CCW in Maryland.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...ed-rr-capital-guns-letter-20180705-story.html

A most excellent piece written well by someone who actually "gets it". I would only add to it that because Maryland has such laws that severely restrict law abiding citizens, and do not properly address criminal activity, per se, logic would dictate that the Maryland legislative and judicial systems actually "aid and abet" unlawful criminal/felonious activity and should therefore be prosecuted to the fullest extent of state and federal law for doing so.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Alas, the only way forward for those of us in MD is creating a solid 5-4 SCOTUS majority, then the case currently in Federal District Court goes to the 4CA where the liberal Obama majority will repeat Woollard, then with the new circuit split, and with a Petition for Cert and if it’s granted, then we finally get a 5-4 or 6-3 Constitutional majority who rules carry outside the home is an enumerated right .

Then and only then will MD be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of freedom .

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Alas, the only way forward for those of us in MD is creating a solid 5-4 SCOTUS majority, then the case currently in Federal District Court goes to the 4CA where the liberal Obama majority will repeat Woollard, then with the new circuit split, and with a Petition for Cert and if it’s granted, then we finally get a 5-4 or 6-3 Constitutional majority who rules carry outside the home is an enumerated right .

Then and only then will MD be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar of freedom .

Troof, dat!

How did Illinois and DC get CCW before MD? The courts.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Umm, welcome new guy. Head on over to the introductions forum and, well, introduce yourself. Then follow the advice that will be given.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    I'm pretty sure this thread is about to turn into a shit show.

Oh i hope not. So little positive 2A stuff going on in maryland.

I like to think about the idea of the Sun running a severely pro 2A op-ed TWICE!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom