• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I have an existing bench that is tall enough to work...but I need to find a suitable top to being reloading, right now its 2x6's and I don't want a gap. What is the cheapest top that you gives are using? I would rather not use plywood to aviod splinters.

Thoughts?

3/4 mdf should work, or you could get away skinning the 2x6s with a sheet of hardboard

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have an existing bench that is tall enough to work...but I need to find a suitable top to being reloading, right now its 2x6's and I don't want a gap. What is the cheapest top that you gives are using? I would rather not use plywood to aviod splinters.

Thoughts?

Go to Lowe's or HD and buy a discounted laminate counter top. They practically give them away and if they don't sell in a month they pitch them in the dumpster anyway. Ask for a manager and tell him to make you a deal they can't refuse.

No issues with plywood. Go buy some peel and stick floor tiles and cover the plywood bench top. No splinters and they even have tiles with pretty little flowers on them. :D Don't like tiles then put a few coats of cheapo latex paint on the plywood and splinter-be-gone.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I meant I "don't know HOW the 40S&W is, but..." I know WHAT it is.

WNUSA40SWVP.jpg

Cheap walmart ammo.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Thoughts?

Get either a 32" or 36" solid-core door (door blank, actually).
    A couple of coats of satin polyurethane will make it look really nice.

Drill some holes through the 2x6s, and run screws from underneath, for a finished appearance.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Get either a 32" or 36" solid-core door (door blank, actually).

Drill some holes through the 2x6s, and run screws from underneath, for a finished appearance.

The existing bench is 8' X 34"...do they make doors in that size? I'm going to check out the local home depots/Lowes for counter tops.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The existing bench is 8' X 34"...do they make doors in that size? I'm going to check out the local home depots/Lowes for counter tops.

Close to that size.
    Most solid core doors come as 32 x 80" or 36 x 80".

I don't suggest using MDF as a top for a workbench/reloading bench.

I have used two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood, also.
    Bottom layer used was AC grade (CDX works just as good!), and Oak veneer plywood for the top layer. (As long as the top layer of plywood is good quality, use 'whatever'!)
    Glue the plywood together. Clamp it up for a couple of hours, then band the edges with your choice of wood. (I've used maple. It's hard. Very hard. I've also used oak.)

Hi Beta

Jan 24, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    Some nice setups shown in this topic.

As a comment, some of the posters may be opening themselves up to future problems with state fire prevention laws by displaying more than five pounds of powder in the photos. We live in strange times now.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Go to Lowe's or HD and buy a discounted laminate counter top. They practically give them away and if they don't sell in a month they pitch them in the dumpster anyway. Ask for a manager and tell him to make you a deal they can't refuse.

No issues with plywood. Go buy some peel and stick floor tiles and cover the plywood bench top. No splinters and they even have tiles with pretty little flowers on them. :D Don't like tiles then put a few coats of cheapo latex paint on the plywood and splinter-be-gone.
    Scored some free countertops...hoping to get it set up sooner than later...

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Get either a 32" or 36" solid-core door (door slab)(door blank, actually).

fixed it for ya

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Hey Viper, is the allen wrench holder, right angle handle and bullet bin all hornady stuff with actual mounts made for places or did you engineer that?

I have a LnL without any feeders so I don't know if that parts that come with feeders.

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Hey Viper, is the allen wrench holder, right angle handle and bullet bin all hornady stuff with actual mounts made for places or did you engineer that?

I have a LnL without any feeders so I don't know if that parts that come with feeders.

I fabricated all the pieces except for the bins of course (Grainger), but the person selling the L.E.D lights on the other thread seems to have similiar products available.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Scored some free countertops...hoping to get it set up sooner than later...

Ok so spent some time today on the bench. Instead or ripping what was there apart I just put stuff overtop. The bench was not solid at all when I bought the use but solid as a rock right now. Looks like crap but will work for sure.

Need to wire up some electrical outlets and some overhead lighting next.

a3a8e48914567b13c9c07a1b5b0b1e55.jpg

9d11c4dd6ff3cf3faaa838b834329162.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom