Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old July 22nd, 2021, 09:31 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
Compete, and / or look for a better club, PA or WV have a ton of them if you are close.

This is how our handgun range is set up, shoot from the deck with benches(or standing) or from the pit where you can move around. Lots of steel on the 25yd handgun and a few plates on the 200yd rifle range. It's Windsor Fish&game in York county, but PA being PA there are probably 5 other private clubs in the county, and a couple of thhe other ones have a lot more stuff. I compete at York Isaac Walton, much larger range with more pits, and a few others are similarly awesome.
Im right south of Balt city. I go to C&S in York to get magazines so York isnt crazy far. thanks for the tip!
TravisVerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2021, 09:38 AM #32

Yes. The boating scourge has really gotten out of control. After my last few rooty tooties sank on my buddies boat Im never going near the water again
Boards01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2021, 09:46 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisVerve View Post
Im right south of Balt city. I go to C&S in York to get magazines so York isnt crazy far. thanks for the tip!
I'll second York Isaac Walton. Great range with just about any situation you want. And it's actually about 5 miles south of York
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:49 PM #34

Shooting at the range is boring and expensive....and always puts someone in a place of disciplining me like a child because they have been given a-hole immunity by the ownership.

Not doing it.
Sylvester The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 12:34 PM #35

Iím moving to Vermont in less than a year and will 93 acres that I can shoot on and carry without a permit.
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:18 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I couldn't agree more. It has been frustrating to me over the years I've lived here in Central Maryland because I grew up in rural SW Nebraska. Although you can't do this anymore, when I was a kid finding a place to shoot was as easy as going to the local landfill. Not only was it safe due to all of the pits and backstops literally everywhere, but finding fun things to shoot at was easy.

Another place I did a lot of shooting was the piece of ground a relative of mine had just outside of town. Me and a friend would grab our .22s, a few boxes of shells, and then we'd ride our bikes to it, spending the afternoon plinking.

By the time I was a young adult, my Dad, who was the chief of police in the town, had the town set up a range for "the police department" (I'm pretty sure the only one who used it was him) right at the edge of the south side of town. When he retired, he set up a personal shooting range on the same plot of ground I mentioned earlier owned by his cousin. We NEVER paid for range time, and never had to worry about getting flagged by some idiot with no awareness of muzzle safety.

In March I went on a winter camping trip with my brother-in-law to a piece of private property in West VA - the whole point was to have a guy's weekend of shooting. That was a good time, but it's not something that can be done on the regular.

I think that if you live in less populated areas of the state, a person can probably set something up on their own private property provided that it meets the guidelines of what you have to do in order to have a personal range. That's actually a goal of mine for my retirement years - it would be awesome to be able to step outside and do my own thing with shooting without having to drive to the range, wait around waiting for a lane to open up, and then being limited to have to pay for shooting paper hanging from a clip. It can keep the skills going, but it's not a lot of fun compared to how I grew up.
Unfortunately you would be hard pressed to find that in Maryland or the East Coast. Upstate New York used to be like that when I would spend summers up there with my cousins. We would hang cans and had a hill for a back drop. As you said the land fill and and shut down quarries where a great place too. PA you might be able to find that too, if you can purchase land for that.
lemmdus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2021, 05:56 PM #37

Delmarva Trap and Skeet

Delmarva Trap and Skeet, letís you shoot steel targets and they have a three gun range as well.

https://www.dscfff.com/
Tschruefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:30 AM #38
Coming in hot

Coming in hot

I personally like making day trips to Delmarva, usually pretty empty during the work week. Only thing I hate is going up there when it’s crowded, seems like every local up there owns plated carries and has 9 guns hanging off them. It’s always been decently safe up there to shoot though.
Choppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2021, 12:16 PM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisVerve View Post
Just got back into owning a few guns this past year. Finished a couple 80% (AR and Glock style)

Shooting at the range is useful but kinda boring and super expensive.

Anyone know of/ have a place where you could plink at various targets outside?

I used to have a buddy years ago who had a farm where we could set up exploding targets, soda bottles, etc lol... That was fun.
Isnít that the truth. I used to have so much fun just lining up big dirt clods in the plowed cornfield behind my parentís home and watching them turn to dust when I hit them. I would love to have a place somewhere to just plink. I was a member of a pistol club some years back and had a key so I could come in at off times. I never took targets, much preferring to bounce pine cones around in the back stop.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2021, 05:51 PM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I couldn't agree more. It has been frustrating to me over the years I've lived here in Central Maryland because I grew up in rural SW Nebraska. Although you can't do this anymore, when I was a kid finding a place to shoot was as easy as going to the local landfill. Not only was it safe due to all of the pits and backstops literally everywhere, but finding fun things to shoot at was easy.

Another place I did a lot of shooting was the piece of ground a relative of mine had just outside of town. Me and a friend would grab our .22s, a few boxes of shells, and then we'd ride our bikes to it, spending the afternoon plinking.

By the time I was a young adult, my Dad, who was the chief of police in the town, had the town set up a range for "the police department" (I'm pretty sure the only one who used it was him) right at the edge of the south side of town. When he retired, he set up a personal shooting range on the same plot of ground I mentioned earlier owned by his cousin. We NEVER paid for range time, and never had to worry about getting flagged by some idiot with no awareness of muzzle safety.

In March I went on a winter camping trip with my brother-in-law to a piece of private property in West VA - the whole point was to have a guy's weekend of shooting. That was a good time, but it's not something that can be done on the regular.

I think that if you live in less populated areas of the state, a person can probably set something up on their own private property provided that it meets the guidelines of what you have to do in order to have a personal range. That's actually a goal of mine for my retirement years - it would be awesome to be able to step outside and do my own thing with shooting without having to drive to the range, wait around waiting for a lane to open up, and then being limited to have to pay for shooting paper hanging from a clip. It can keep the skills going, but it's not a lot of fun compared to how I grew up.
Georgia here. Most counties allow safe shooting on your own property here. Towns you get complaints, you usually have to stop...they usually have ordinances.
jamestheless is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland