• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    Given Texas, would a pastor carrying concealed equate with a business owner in the eyes of Maryland law? Can I carry on the campus of my church?

Thanks.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Given Texas, would a pastor carrying concealed equate with a business owner in the eyes of Maryland law? Can I carry on the campus of my church?

Thanks.

If you are the owner of the church, I know that sounds wrong as God is, but meaning independent leader of the independently established church then you are ok in the building/s.

Parking lots and campus carry are no to questionable based upon a terrible MD Ct decision that said that premises do not include parking lots.

If you are part of a denomination, you would likely be classified as a supervisory personnel but would need permission from your higher ups.

So as pastor of an independent church, I am free to carry on the building premises as well as give permission to supervisory employees of the church to carry on the building premises.

You may also be eligible for a carry permit.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Churches would be absolutely stupid not to have armed pastors and/or or parishioners. Killers prefer helpless unarmed victims and with terrorists attacking churches around the world, being unprepared is suicidal!

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Montgomery County code

Sec. 57-11. Firearms in or near places of public assembly.
    (a) A person must not sell, transfer, possess, or transport a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, or ammunition for these firearms, in or within 100 yards of a place of public assembly.

I have read on the forum (I think) that the state of Texas has a code like this concerning houses of worship. You would have to verify this. I'm not.

Pray hard pray often.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Not in MD, but one of the soccer moms in my small group tonight was wondering what the church was doing. Most of the 6 or 7 men and at least one of the women admitted that they carry in church. (My wife and I declined to specify, but I suspect the number is even higher :)). Given it's a Wednesday night church group, we're probably older and more conservative than the church body in general, but I suspect we'll be ok.

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    If you are the owner of the church, I know that sounds wrong as God is, but meaning independent leader of the independently established church then you are ok in the building/s.

Parking lots and campus carry are no to questionable based upon a terrible MD Ct decision that said that premises do not include parking lots.

If you are part of a denomination, you would likely be classified as a supervisory personnel but would need permission from your higher ups.

So as pastor of an independent church, I am free to carry on the building premises as well as give permission to supervisory employees of the church to carry on the building premises.

You may also be eligible for a carry permit.

I'm a denominational drone and my Bishop immediately came out demanding more gun control before the bodies had cooled. So I don't think he'd give me permission. Even writing that annoys me.

I've been threatened in the past, but not lately so that's probably not immediate enough to qualify. What are the possibilites the shootings in TX would qualify as a good and substancial reason? And I'm assuming a Maryland permit would be limited to the campus anyway given how this state works, but it would be a start.

Our worship leader is a former Baltimore police officer so take it as a given he's usually armed.

Gad I hate Maryland's anti-constitutional crap.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Our worship leader is a former Baltimore police officer so take it as a given he's usually armed

Unless you've had a direct conversation with him about it, that's not a safe assumption.
    I know a lot of retired police officers who don't carry.

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    My church is Methodist, so it's automatically anti gun. However the best laid plans are speak not, but carry (a big stick). God helps those who help themselves.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Just ask your church for permission if you're worried. We have a security team at my church so I know plenty of people who carry on weekends. I've been invited to carry myself during special events but have never bothered (everyone just knows me as a gun enthusiast lol).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    God helps those who help themselves.

One way or another, God's word contains the answer to all of life's questions.

collage3.jpg

eodtim

Mar 9, 2014
    Linthicum, MD
    Several of us in the flock carry at church. We are a growing church and we understand the worldly and spiritual battle that is being fought. We have a responsibility to protect our Father's House.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I'm a denominational drone and my Bishop immediately came out demanding more gun control before the bodies had cooled. So I don't think he'd give me permission. Even writing that annoys me.

I've been threatened in the past, but not lately so that's probably not immediate enough to qualify. What are the possibilites the shootings in TX would qualify as a good and substancial reason? And I'm assuming a Maryland permit would be limited to the campus anyway given how this state works, but it would be a start.

Our worship leader is a former Baltimore police officer so take it as a given he's usually armed.

Gad I hate Maryland's anti-constitutional crap.

It depends upon how your denomination works the establishment of each church. If you are a separate legal entity of which you are the head you may be able to apply for a wear and carry if you transport funds or equipment. If you make bank deposits, for example.

The issue would be establishing you are a business owner.

Otherwise, likely out of luck. You could try and apply but a general threat doesn't seem to cut it for MSP.

I would recommend you talk with your worship leaders as well. It is surprising the number of former police officers I have met who have no interest in carrying. Edit - missed the earlier reply, sorry.

We are a small church but have a security plan and team and will be updating it. As the shepherd, I feel it is my job to protect the sheep as much as I can.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    My church is Methodist, so it's automatically anti gun. However the best laid plans are speak not, but carry (a big stick). God helps those who help themselves.

I think the first one was the Book of Teddy Roosevelt.

The second is the hear of the issue facing churches - self sufficiency is not in the Bible. God knows the day we are coming home and nothin is going to change that.

So the question is balancing wisdom with the knowledge that we serve a mighty King and heaven is way, way better than here.

I am always torn.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I think the first one was the Book of Teddy Roosevelt.
    :D

The second is the heart of the issue facing churches - self sufficiency is not in the Bible. God knows the day we are coming home and nothing is going to change that.

Good point. I feel we have an obligation to protect those who have little or no means to do so to the best of our ability.

So the question is balancing wisdom with the knowledge that we serve a mighty King and heaven is way, way better than here. I am always torn.
    As am I....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom