• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    In revolvers, yes. In the extremely rare semi-auto, no. But I doubt you're referring to the Desert Eagle .357, or .357 Sig.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yes, absolutely you can (and should) shoot .38 Special through your .357 Magnum, it's a less expensive way to train. And if you have someone (responsible adult) in your household that has trouble with the Magnum recoil, the .38 round is just the solution.

Be careful, there is a lot of B.S. info out there about rounds that can shoot through other guns. I started a thread a while back exactly on this topic, there is a lot of great information in that thread. If you can't find it, I may come back and post it here if you like.

Here is an example of some B.S. advice. This guy (in his tongue-in-cheek video; jump to 3:30) says you can shoot 9mm and .40 through a .357 SIG:

.357 Magnum (MAG) and .357 SIG are very different, not interchangeable.

---
    Edit: Added link to thread discussing this topic in greater detail. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=67307

Last edited:

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    .357 mag can take .38 special or .38 long colt

It cannot (should not) take .38 super, .38 Auto, .38 S&W

You can also shoot .38 Short Colt. Why you would want to I have no idea, but that can be a fun little round if it's loaded with blackpowder.:D

The .38 S&W thing is interesting. Some that are made for the older guns have a bullet diameter of .360" and some have a diameter of .358" so they can be fired in .38/.357 revolvers.

The only thing to keep in mind is be sure and clean the cylinder thoroughly after shooting "short cases" (.38's) or you may have some issues the next time you want to shoot .357's through that gun. The cases are substantially longer, and if there is a bunch of powder residue in the chambers, the cartridges may not be able to seat properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom