• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If the knife will be used on deer, make sure it has a good handle on it. It will take two hands(so you don't cut one of them off) to split the sternum. Don't go with a knife with a serrated section. It will be useless.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are so many crap Chinese sttels being passed as generic "stainless" , I won't endorse a broad recomendation for "soft" .

However for qualities * I Think * MM is speaking of, I like old school Carbon Steel. Excellent ratio of cutting ability, strength, and durability vs ease of sharpening. 1095 is the gold standard, 1075 is still decent.

So why isn't old school Carbon still the standard instead of newfangled stainless ? Stainless is prettier, and will look shiney and brand new. Carbon will gain a patina. This is normal, dosen't hurt anything or impare function. In the this was as normal and expected as the sun rising in the east, just a sign of a knife that was actually used/ carried.

With the smallest modicum of care, a carbon knife won't rust-rust , except in really extreme conditions, like diving in salt watet or certain chemical environments.

( If you do such things 420J is extremely corrosion resistant. Just pretty crapy at being a knife.)

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    The above linked knives are classic designs, and a quick search shows the 4116 steel has similar charistics to 440C, with better corrosion resistance. ( This is fairly good, for those who favor stainless.)

The Sharpfinger is also a good design in a useful size. The same basic knife is sold under multiple brands, but most of them use "stainless steel", not further specified. I have some of those, but I really like the older made in USA ones with old school 1095 steel, but I like carbon steels.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I still have my sharpfinger from my youth. It's consistently my go-to hunting knife. Perfect hunting blade IMHO.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I see you're in Frederick. I have an unopened deer processing knife set that you can have, and probably have an unused suitable fixed blade. I got the processing set as a mistaken delivery from an internet retailer that didn't charge me (came with other things I ordered). I contacted them to try and return it to them, and they said keep it. Send me a PM, and I can pass these on to you this weekend.

(btw, in case your kid did his hunter safety training at the Frederick IWLA last year, he might have been in the same class with my older boy)

Well I meet another nice MDS member today and picked up the deer processing kit. Fidelity also added a NIB buck folder, and a NIB Mora. Thanks so much. Very nice of him! Once again the MDS members are the best. Thanks to everyone for the help/advice. I know these items will be put to good use, buy my son. Thanks again to everyone, especially Fidelity

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Well I meet another nice MDS member today and picked up the deer processing kit. Fidelity also added a NIB buck folder, and a NIB Mora. Thanks so much. Very nice of him! Once again the MDS members are the best. Thanks to everyone for the help/advice. I know these items will be put to good use, buy my son. Thanks again to everyone, especially Fidelity

You're very welcome. Happy to be Santa and anonymous otherwise. Nice meeting you as well.

Outrider was mentioning to me earlier today that he's cut himself more often from a dull blade (after I asked his opinion about whether the Mora might be too sharp for a kid). The Mora is a carbon blade of course with greater edge retention and will sharpen nicely. The US made Buck folder seems to do the job for some of the more experienced in the thread (incl Outrider) so with adequate sharpening may be a good option too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Thanks for the advice, form you and Outrider. When I first started to think about getting him a knife, I thought about getting him a Mora. I was concerned about the same things, as you were. I'm a big Mora fan myself. I think between the Mora and the buck 110, he will be covered. I always keep a close eye on him when out in the field, and until I feel comfortable with him dressing deer, I will cut through the sternum, for him.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thats a good tip for the inner tube, there are all types of good knives but I like the buck brand in particular because that was my first one, both folding and fixed blades. The first was a gift that my uncle brought me from the mountain rd flea market the Bowie style that was broken splitting the pelvis of the first deer I bow-shot like in like 1982. It broke so clean near the handle that the two pieces would stick together. He took it to Bart's on his way home from work and they sent it back and replaced it and then brought it over to me. The other was a 112 that he gave me as well and was made before the brass bolsters were rounded out. The two of them are still here and come out occasionally when were making meat. I like to carry a 110 but became fond of the 102 when I chose it for my oldest son for which he's used for about 15 years. They're easy to sharpen, hold a good edge if you keep water off them and are reasonably priced. I handed mine to a young fellow the other day after we shot some sika deer up and after I noticed him struggling with his knife, I said go easy its sharp and sure enough I was the one stuck straight to the bone of my right index finger, freakin thing will still bleed if I shake my hand hard enough and its been a week. So no safety lecture from me but my experience is you cant go wrong with the Buck brand, I'm not knocking anything else its just what has worked well for me for over two decades through plenty of hard use in the field and around the farm. Quality leather sheaths as well that last.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This was my first 'deer knife'. A Buck 103. It saw me through my first 20 years of deer seasons. Still has the inner tube grip mod. You can see the scratches down near the hilt from cutting rib cages apart. You can also see where the first time I sheathed it, it was so sharp, the knife went right through the sheath, slicing my fingers as it went! :P It now takes permanent residence in my turkey vest and is still surgical-sharp and has yet to touch a stone.

Attachments

• buck103.jpg
      buck103.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 176

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Buck 110. I use this knife exclusively for dressing deer. When I'm done I just fold it up, put into a baggie(fits perfectly) and clean it once I get home. Was it in warm water, couple licks across the crock sticks and she's ready for the next deer. The thing I like the most about it, it has a strong but narrow blade, making it perfect for cutting around butt-holes and separating the sternum. Once this knife is honed, it never needs to see another stone. Crock sticks are all that's needed to maintain a razor sharp edge. Done a bazillion deer with this knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-110-Folding-Genuine/dp/B000EHYZKK

This!! I still have the Buck 110 I've used for the last 35 years...

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm with Outrider... Buck 110. I've had mine for about 35 years. I've abused the he'll out of it. The tip broke off on a camping trip some years back and I had to regrind a point on it, but it still works and takes an edge like a champ.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Cheers to Fidelity for his generosity.

I got a havalon piranta for Christmas and its an amazing knife. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but darn if you don't feel like you're performing surgery when you're dressing game.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Buck 110. I use this knife exclusively for dressing deer. When I'm done I just fold it up, put into a baggie(fits perfectly) and clean it once I get home. Was it in warm water, couple licks across the crock sticks and she's ready for the next deer. The thing I like the most about it, it has a strong but narrow blade, making it perfect for cutting around butt-holes and separating the sternum. Once this knife is honed, it never needs to see another stone. Crock sticks are all that's needed to maintain a razor sharp edge. Done a bazillion deer with this knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-110-Folding-Genuine/dp/B000EHYZKK

I don't feel so like I totally had no idea what I was doing. For my first of only two deer hunts I chose a Winchester 30-30 and the 110 buck folder. I still have no idea how to use it effectively, but at least I didn't choose a useless knife. My deer hunts were all useless attempts with other hunters behind every tree and dawn sounding like Tet without the explosions. (/melodrama)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom