• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I do my lowers from 80%...As a learning tool I did my first one from poly so I could get a feel for it and then I moved on to aluminum... I built an inexpensive rifle after finishing it and have had no issues...but It's a back up for my back up...but it was a good learning experience I would recommend for anyone who wants to do 80s...get the polymer80 with the jig...$75 when I got mind...comes with the mill and drill bits.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Nope the lower receivers are polymer.

Yes they have polymer parts, but calling them polymer receiver guns is not accurate.

The serialized receiver, the part that takes the brunt of the force, the part that's considered a firearm is metal.

SCAR Mk16:

RECEIVER
    •Hard-anodized monolithic aluminum receiver

Galil ASE:
    •Charging handle (reciprocating) moved to the left side of the milled steel receiver allowing for weak hand operation

Tavor:

The receiver is CNC machined using aerospace grade 7075-E6 hard-anodized aluminum

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes they have polymer parts, but calling them polymer receiver guns is not accurate.

The serialized receiver, the part that takes the brunt of the force, the part that's considered a firearm is metal.

SCAR Mk16:

RECEIVER
    •Hard-anodized monolithic aluminum receiver

Galil ASE:
    •Charging handle (reciprocating) moved to the left side of the milled steel receiver allowing for weak hand operation

Tavor:

The receiver is CNC machined using aerospace grade 7075-E6 hard-anodized aluminum

I was asking about lower receivers, and why people who would never recommend an aluminum upper with plastic lower feel differently about metal uppers with plastic lowers....

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have lowers made from polymer and both magnesium and aluminum alloy. Original polymer receivers were significantly lighter than aluminum (on a percentage basis). But they lacked extra material at some critical points that came up in longevity tests (ATI-100 model as an example). Later polymer models got thicker in critical areas and added steel re-enforcement in some critical areas. Then they because almost exactly the same weight as a mil-spec aluminum alloy receiver (ATI-200 type). So the only benefit might be price, plus maybe longer trigger pin requirements. Magnesium alloy lower is about the same weight as an original polymer one (Mag Tech makes the only one I think). But it cost more than an alloy one I think so no benefit there. Weight is the only benefit. They make racing wheels out of both aluminum and magnesium alloys so the strength is not that far off material wise. I bought the magnesium and polymer ones in a quest to build the lightest AR-22 I could make. Once that project was over I tried a couple under regular ARs and while no longevity tests just for occasional use they don't appear to work any differently. I will say that from my experience the makers of other material lowers sometimes have out of spec machining that has to be fixed or tossed. I have yet to buy an aluminum alloy lower that failed to mount any parts properly. Just be aware of that.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I was interested in the Galil ACE until I found out the receiver is polymer. The original Galil had no polymer in it so this sounds to me like a pure cost cutting measure but I am not an expert.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I was interested in the Galil ACE until I found out the receiver is polymer. The original Galil had no polymer in it so this sounds to me like a pure cost cutting measure but I am not an expert.

They say it is cost but would stamped sheet metal really cost that much more. These guns are already at the $2K mark.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I was interested in the Galil ACE until I found out the receiver is polymer.

This polymer Galil ACE "receiver" looks a lot like a pistol grip, cosmetic mag well and trigger guard to me...not much of a receiver.

Attachments

• galilace.jpg
      galilace.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 88

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This polymer Galil ACE "receiver" looks a lot like a pistol grip, cosmetic mag well and trigger guard to me...not much of a receiver.

Agreed. That setup doesn't bother me. Different beast than a receiver housing itself made of polymer.

As others said, aluminum AR receivers are so inexpensive that polymer ones are pointless. All polymer does is introduce a bunch of additional risk with no clear benefit.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012

I had not seen that. Admittedly I heard "polymer receiver" and started questioning why the heck they pulled that off on a Galil... Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom