• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EGM

May 2, 2009
    AA County
    So I've recently acquired a few knives that I'm really excited about for various reasons. 2 Spydercos and an Emerson. I'll start at the bottom with the Endura...

DSC04263.jpg

I've never owned a damascus blade, but always wanted one so when I saw that Spyderco was doing a sprint run of the Endura I couldn't resist. This is a VG-10 blade made in Japan with blue titanium bolsters and the picture really doesn't do it justice. Definitely a knife to look at rather than put through hard use. A beautiful blade and I wouldn't mind more damascus in the future :D

DSC04264.jpg

In the middle is a very strange and interesting knife that I think is super cool. Being a huge fan of folders based on old designs, this knife has a lot going for it. Based on the Chokwe knife from Zambia, the shape holds true to the original design. You'll notice below that the visible side of the handle is G-10, but the other side containing the liner lock is a grey titanium. The two holes in the handle are also based on the original design. Although they reduce the overall weight of the knife, their primary function was to enable mounting on a pole to be used as a spear! A very sweet knife that has one of the smoothest locks I've seen and a super sharp S30V blade.

DSC04260.jpg

And last but certainly not least is the Emerson Combat Karambit. I appreciate the history of the Indonesian design based on the Tiger's claw and I'd been on the lookout for an Emerson karambit for a while now but could never find one at a decent price. I decided a decent price doesn't exist for these and went with the stonewash blade. I've got large hands and the combat version was still a better fit than the super karambit. This is also my first folder with the wave feature. 154CM as I believe all production Emersons are...

DSC04266.jpg

Last edited:

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    A general question; is there any standard for "Damascus" steel?
    I see the name lobbied about by various manufacturers, but my understand is that it is more a general trade name and not necessarily an exact standard - e.g. Damacus from Spyderco could be completely different from Damacus from Benchmade or Cold Steel.

EGM

May 2, 2009
    AA County
    A general question; is there any standard for "Damascus" steel?
    I see the name lobbied about by various manufacturers, but my understand is that it is more a general trade name and not necessarily an exact standard - e.g. Damacus from Spyderco could be completely different from Damacus from Benchmade or Cold Steel.

That is my understanding as well. In the case of the Endura, the blade has a VG-10 core that is stacked with erosive and non-erosive layers. The erosive layers are hard martensite stainless steel and the non-erosive layers are anti-corrosion nonferrous metal. The original damascus blades were made from wootz steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom