• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    If someone is dick enough to do that, they'll be a dick enough to use the right ammo to do it. I've got 3k rounds of M855/Adcom, and 3k rounds of Radway and it's going to get shot.

Scrub the green tips off.:innocent0

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Not to mention that M193 has BETTER metal penetrating qualities inside 150m due to the higher velocity. M855 was designed to penetrate better at 600m since it weighed more and retained velocity better.

Actually, the Adcom and Radway don't have green tips. The 900rounds of M855 does, but thats 'in the back of the closet'

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If someone is dick enough to do that, they'll be a dick enough to use the right ammo to do it. I've got 3k rounds of M855/Adcom, and 3k rounds of Radway and it's going to get shot.

as long you dont shoot at the columns..;)

but if you get busted.. somebody will be taking names:innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not to mention that M193 has BETTER metal penetrating qualities inside 150m due to the higher velocity. M855 was designed to penetrate better at 600m since it weighed more and retained velocity better.

Actually, the Adcom and Radway don't have green tips. The 900rounds of M855 does, but thats 'in the back of the closet'

you got more knowledge than others.. if you go the myrtle grove and see some other shooters out there.. you'd understand how Dan get frustrated. Its the only public range in southern maryland and we don't want it shut down..

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    Is .50BMG still OK? Not that I have one, but I remember a couple months ago that Dan said there was a possibility of steel core ammo and .50BMG being banned.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Is .50BMG still OK? Not that I have one, but I remember a couple months ago that Dan said there was a possibility of steel core ammo and .50BMG being banned.

i believe it is still ok.. seen couple that brought theirs in.. but then again.. why waste ammo on a 100yrd range?;)

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I went and talked to Dan today specifically about their definition of 'steel-penetrating'. He said that it would be ammo specifically designed as armor piercing, not including ammo with a mild steel core, mild steel jacket, or even M855 which I asked about.

So that would basically be anything the US Code applies to, or with a hardened steel penetrator, like US .30-06 M2 AP.

He said he was much more concerned about incendiary or tracer bullets that might get lodged in the crumb rubber in the baffles and set one on fire.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I went and talked to Dan today specifically about their definition of 'steel-penetrating'. He said that it would be ammo specifically designed as armor piercing, not including ammo with a mild steel core, mild steel jacket, or even M855 which I asked about.

So that would basically be anything the US Code applies to, or with a hardened steel penetrator, like US .30-06 M2 AP.

He said he was much more concerned about incendiary or tracer bullets that might get lodged in the crumb rubber in the baffles and set one on fire.

:thumbsup: thanks for double verifying.. it was late in the hot day when he mentioned it and i said i'll try to post it up on this site.. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm convinced Crazy Al has a cabin hidden somewhere in the woods.

Don't talk about that..., now everyone will know how he manages to get there so quickly...:innocent0

I hadn't talked to 'the bearded ranger' since he took some time off, but don't be surprised if .50BMG and .338LM are no longer welcome at MG in the future, people are still intentionally shooting the columns with something BIG, like a .50 or .338. Needless to say, even with the doubled-up steel - it got someones att'n.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't talk about that..., now everyone will know how he manages to get there so quickly...:innocent0

I hadn't talked to 'the bearded ranger' since he took some time off, but don't be surprised if .50BMG and .338LM are no longer welcome at MG in the future, people are still intentionally shooting the columns with something BIG, like a .50 or .338. Needless to say, even with the doubled-up steel - it got someones att'n.

already?:mad54::tdown:

Why the hell would someone shoot the columns? That's ridiculous.... :(

coz they're stupid! putting the target close to the columns. not knowing where the bullet goes pass the target.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    already?:mad54::tdown:

coz they're stupid! putting the target close to the columns. not knowing where the bullet goes pass the target.

Not exactly, I was shown a few of the impacts. These were deliberate aimed shots at the columns.

And to answer the inevitable - yes, they did penetrate both layers of steel...but they did not make it out of the columns.

Yet again, some people don't care what they shoot, as long as they get to shoot something. :sad20:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not exactly, I was shown a few of the impacts. These were deliberate aimed shots at the columns.

And to answer the inevitable - yes, they did penetrate both layers of steel...but they did not make it out of the columns.

Yet again, some people don't care what they shoot, as long as they get to shoot something. :sad20:

yeah.. we all have been shown that second column past table 2 or 3 prior this cleanup. havent been there since the cleanup so i dont know what they (dnr) have done.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    They had it looking pretty good compared to what it was before if I'm honest. Replaced a lot of timber and conveyor mat, doubled up the steel plate, redid the berm/backstop and the timbers on it.

They did a fair amount of work to get it looking respectable again, sh*t's getting old - by that I mean the :asshat:'s tearing the place up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom