• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Took the RIA 1911 to the range today. It's no Kimber, but it wasn't bad. Desperately needs new sights though. Any smiths in SoMD that could do the simple job?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Does it have GI style sights? IE rear dovetail and front tenon staked sight? Or dovetails front and rear.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    You got it... The GI sights.

I would contact Trikshot an IP. That job will likely require milling out the slide for larger dovetails and isn't necessarily an easy one. You can also try painting the top 1/3 of the front sight in a high contrast color.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Took the RIA 1911 to the range today. It's no Kimber, but it wasn't bad. Desperately needs new sights though. Any smiths in SoMD that could do the simple job?

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend on sights but there are a few options.

You can buy some aftermarket GI Style sights that have better visibility and save on the machine work. There are plenty of good sights out there that will fit the slide you currently have. You just need someone to install them for you.

You can send the slide off to Novak and have them machine the front and rear of the slide which will give you more options and have them install their sights. That'll be a bit more money.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9473

Take a day and drive to Scott's Gunsmithing and explain what you would like to have done and drop it off. It'll cost some time and money but his work is top notch. If you pick the sights out and order them, you may be able to call them and see about just mailing the slide up but for me, personally, I like to go up there and shoot the $hit with him anyways.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm not sure what you are looking to spend on sights but there are a few options.

You can buy some aftermarket GI Style sights that have better visibility and save on the machine work. There are plenty of good sights out there that will fit the slide you currently have. You just need someone to install them for you.

You can send the slide off to Novak and have them machine the front and rear of the slide which will give you more options and have them install their sights. That'll be a bit more money.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9473

Take a day and drive to Scott's Gunsmithing and explain what you would like to have done and drop it off. It'll cost some time and money but his work is top notch. If you pick the sights out and order them, you may be able to call them and see about just mailing the slide up but for me, personally, I like to go up there and shoot the $hit with him anyways.

I've used Novak Sights to replace sights on three different firearms (Colt. Govt .380, Bulgarian Makarov and Beretta 84FS). All required the milling off of existing sights and cutting in for Novak sights. They did fantastic work on all three guns - I would highly recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom