• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am taking a long-range shooting class this summer, and some of the AARs I've read indicate that a laser rangefinder would be very useful to me. I need recommendations on a laser rangefinder in the $200-$300 range that can go to 1000-1200 meters. Doesn't need to be bomb-proof, but prefer something that does not need to be overly babied. If I am asking for something that doesn't exist, is a bad idea, or I am missing some important point, I am receptive to that feedback as well.

(Bonus points if you can point me at web resources that can help me make an informed decision myself.)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Buy once, cry once.

I picked up a Leica used on Sniper's Hide

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I am taking a long-range shooting class this summer, and some of the AARs I've read indicate that a laser rangefinder would be very useful to me. I need recommendations on a laser rangefinder in the $200-$300 range that can go to 1000-1200 meters. Doesn't need to be bomb-proof, but prefer something that does not need to be overly babied. If I am asking for something that doesn't exist, is a bad idea, or I am missing some important point, I am receptive to that feedback as well.

(Bonus points if you can point me at web resources that can help me make an informed decision myself.)

There are a few decent rangefinders out there in your price range but wont get you the distance you require. The Vortex Rangefinder is about $350'ish and meets both of your requirements. Sig makes the Kilo series that may work too and are a bit cheaper. But, like Pinecone mentions, you may want to pay a bit more and just be done with it.

I've struggled with buying one over the years because I've never needed one for a class or match. Would it have helped, sure. Did I need one? Nope.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, a used Leica 1600B is also a possibility. Just hard to justify spending $350 on something that I don't know that I'll use more than once or twice in my life.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I use a Leica Rangemaster 2000-B. While it is rated for 2000 yds, I haven’t ranged anything past 1500 yards yet. It has a built-in ballistic calculator if you should wish to use it. What I find useful is the thermometer, inclination and barometric pressure readings. As other have said “buy once, cry once”. Euro Optic is who I got mine from.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/40536-Leica-Leica-Rangemaster-CRF-2000-B--MPN-40536.aspx

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Yeah, a used Leica 1600B is also a possibility. Just hard to justify spending $350 on something that I don't know that I'll use more than once or twice in my life.

Exactly. I have a spotting scope I never use, Kestrel 4500 that is barely used, (Admittedly, need to use more), a Harris Bipod 9"-13" that sits in my bag, and lots of other assorted things I "needed to have" for a class or match that just gather dust. I think a rangefinder would be used a little bit more, but...

I've been to a few classes and matches. Trying to remember if I ever seen anyone use a rangefinder in any of them. I am sure they have but not enough for me to remember it being something I thought was paramount to success. YMMV.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have a range finder. I tossed around the idea of getting one for a while then inherited one. I used it A LOT for the first year... memorizing the distances to various groundhog holes in a 600y field. The batteries ran out last year but... i never bothered to replace the batteries. A range finder, is a great tool to confirm range estimation. Range estimation.. comes with practice. Granted.. at the distances you're talking about.. 50y estimation miscalculation could easily mean a miss. I would contact the instructor to see if they have loaners or if it's ACTUALLY needed. Maybe if the class has 3 as a group, it's good enough as they all range ABOUT the same.

I would happily loan you mine but it's not giong to do the distances you're looking for. I can't get a good/consistent reading over 575y or so. It's perfect for me because my field is only 600y and the price was right for me (free). I've tossed around the idea of a new/better one, but.. can't think of a use for it unless i go varmint hunting out of state.

Let us know what you decide, there's no wrong answer imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom