• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One of the socket cap screws snapped while I was torqueing a superlative arms gas block clamp style on my 300blk pistol and was wondering if there's any difference in using say a panhead Phillips screw instead of socket cap. The reason I ask is I'd really like to sight this thing in Saturday and a Lowes, home depot, and tractor supply later I still can't find these damn things, even in the "specialty" drawers. Does anyayous have any experience with this type of thing or am I screwed (lol) until I get them from maybe fastenal?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you have a Fastenal store close by, they may have it.

You may have to buy a hundred of them though.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Not sure where you live but Courtland Hardware, in Fallston, has a nice selection of gun screws.

Yes, a real hardware store is your best bet for getting it in your hands tomorrow. Maybe an auto parts store.

Amazon would probably have smaller quantities than Fastenal if you have to order.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Looks like I won't be sighting in a pistol this weekend : /

You need to call around to any local old time hardware stores (if there are such a thing anymore) maybe you will get lucky. I needed 2 screws for a Stoeger shotgun last summer. I could order them for about $5 each but I was able to find them for about .75 each at Courtland, (the Bel Air location didn't carry them so they sent me to Fallston)

I wonder if Molly's would have anything??

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Looks like I won't be sighting in a pistol this weekend : /

Just use a pan head or something, reasonably tightened. It's not critical. Replace when you get the correct one.
    Cheap SHCS are soft. Cheap set screws are worse! Manufacturers often don't spec a high quality screw to save a quarter:(

Just use a pan head or something, reasonably tightened. It's not critical. Replace when you get the correct one.
    Cheap SHCS are soft. Cheap set screws are worse! Manufacturers often don't spec a high quality screw to save a quarter:(
    Apparently they did because I've snapped every screw I bought today at 28in lbs lol. Superlative arms spec is 30 not to exceed 34. I've tried tightening the clamp screws without a torque driver (wheeler) and they don't reach a point when they (clamping screws) feel like they're hitting a wall and reaching the end of their travel they just keep going and snap.

I really did feel like using a clamp style gb was the way to go to get a good gas seal and even pressure around the barrel. Good thing I've got some of their set screw types as back up :(

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Good bolts are tough to find. The Chinese crap has become a real problem. Unbrako and others listed above are good. Mcmaster-carr can be hit or miss, but you can get the specs/certs from them to confirm. Good metals and proper heat treat are not cheap.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I wouldn't trust superlative arms 30in# suggestion. That is high unless you have quality fasteners AND a quality but for your torque driver.

I prefer knurled tip set screws from McMaster.

Last edited:
    I wouldn't folks superlative arms 30in# suggestion. That is high unless you have quality fasteners AND a quality but for your torque driver.

I prefer knurled tip set screws from McMaster.

Hell it's all good. I believe it was you that told me in another thread for an AR 308 set screw gas block that carbon is like clotting blood. Plus I've got a dimple jig now.

I was researching for suppressing a 300blk and adjustable block was the first thing I saw along with an article from pew pew tactical discussing the different types of blocks and the merits of set screw and clamp. I ultimately went with clamp style because of equal pressure around the barrel and a supposed better gas seal. NOW I'm thinking that even though that may be true of clamp gb's, the hardware goes through more stress when tightening. Not only do the screws have to clamp, they also have to DRAG somewhat don't they? If thats the case then it's no wonder that they're snapping the way they are.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Check ace hardware in Salisbury. The one in Millsborro has gun screws but not sure about the socket head. R.d. greir also has a good selection of odd things like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom