• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Scar,

I have always wondered about these. When you post a range report could you let us know not only the accuracy but how the rifle recoils and if there is a lot of trigger slap?

Also, does the scope sit right over the top of the receiver or is it offset? I am left handed and would have a hard time with a scope that is more left of center. Alos, is the stock usable for a lefty?

EDIT: Already answered in the thread... that is what I get for not reading... DOH!!!

Phil

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Anyone know the difference between the Russian Dragunov, and the Russian Dragunov Tiger? I was considering one of these Romanian jobs, but after reading the opening message here, I am now thinking about looking for the real Russian model. I dont know the difference between the two rifles I listed above...

Thanks
    Andy

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Is there a specific list of weapons banned in maryland? I am looking at placing a bid on one of these Chinese Dragunovs, but dont want to be screwed if it is illegal here. I dont think it is, but want to verify before spending, or possibly losing, money. I did some searches on Google, but couldnt find a definitive list...

Thanks
    Andy

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    It also has a shellac finish that looks like the kindergarten class of 2009 did.

Yeah, this kindergarten graduating class wasn't the smartest. I have some Garnet Shellac Flakes, $5 for an oz. that you mix with 4 oz. of Denatured Alcohol. Hit me up on the PM if you would like me to send some to you.

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Thanks Scar, eventualy figured it out. I bought one of the Chinese NDM 86's last night. I figure it will be a month before it is in my hands though, with shipping and waiting for paperwork and such to go through... I was concerned by your post here about the Romanian rifle. I dont have any experience or skill in gunsmithing, and you mentioned a few issues with yours, not the least of which was having to modify the magazines to fit. I didnt want to start down that road, so I went with spending a little more for something closer to a turn key operation...

Andy

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Scar,

Did you ever buy the Minuta 1P21 variable power scope? I was looking at this as well, but havent jumped. I figured that I would wait until it came in, and I could get out to the range with the one included to see what I think.

Is there anything on the web that explains the use of these scopes that you have found? I found some stuff on the 1P21, but nothign too in depth. I assume the manual comes in Russian, so that likely wont help. I havent found anythign on the net about the basic scope, but I am lead to beleive that they function considerably differently to anythign that I would be used to using here in the US...

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Scar,

Did you ever buy the Minuta 1P21 variable power scope? I was looking at this as well, but havent jumped. I figured that I would wait until it came in, and I could get out to the range with the one included to see what I think.

Is there anything on the web that explains the use of these scopes that you have found? I found some stuff on the 1P21, but nothign too in depth. I assume the manual comes in Russian, so that likely wont help. I havent found anythign on the net about the basic scope, but I am lead to beleive that they function considerably differently to anythign that I would be used to using here in the US...

Purchased the Minuta 1P21 and still in backorder purgatory. Good things come to those who wait. Congratulations on your NDM-86. Also cant wait for your range report.:thumbsup:

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    "Purchased the Minuta 1P21 and still in backorder purgatory."

Were you able to find one for under 350.00? I found two places at that price...

Andy

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    "By the way, If you can make sense out of it , you dah man! "

Sorry, someone else will have to be the man, I guess I am just the llittle grl in this case...:sad20:

I understood parts, but the illustration on page 16 of the second link you provided leaves me scratching my head. I will work something out, even if it takes 1,000 rounds to back into it!

I got the ammo in today. It is all in sardine cans, what a pain! Cut myself up opening the ammo with an oversized P-38. What a dumb design!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    "By the way, If you can make sense out of it , you dah man! "

Sorry, someone else will have to be the man, I guess I am just the llittle grl in this case...:sad20:

I understood parts, but the illustration on page 16 of the second link you provided leaves me scratching my head. I will work something out, even if it takes 1,000 rounds to back into it!

I got the ammo in today. It is all in sardine cans, what a pain! Cut myself up opening the ammo with an oversized P-38. What a dumb design!

Yes, I found the 1p21 for 299.00 plus 32.00 shipping.
    I am a technical person but the information on the PSO scopes from the Kalashnikov site just confuses the living daylights out of me. If you think it cant get anymore messed up than that,The 1P21's manual is a lot more confusing than the PSO. I have to take Dramamine just to prevent myself from getting dizzy.

By Experience ( Actually- by screwing up), a 25 yard zero does not work. Zeroing the scope to iron sights does not work if you do it at distances of less than 100 yards. Forget about the traditional way of zeroing a scope as this is an offset mount. not only do you have to worry about bullet drop, you also have to compensate for windage . It is best to zero the optic at 100 yards using a spotting scope.A bipod or steady rest is also essential.

I cheated and resorted to using a Laser Boresight and a reflector ( Driveway markers from home depot) to align the scope at 100 yards. This got me on paper immediately. With the help of a spotting scope, I fired three shot groups until it was shooting at point of aim at 100 yards. You will have to use the windage and elevation turrets for this ( Course adjustments).If you need finer adjustments, you will have to loosen the turrets and make very small adjustments, there are no tactile clicks,so be patient. After obtaining the zero, loosen the screws on the turrets so that they are completely freewheeling and reset tick marks to zero. tighten the screws and you are set. This should now coincide with the range finder and each click ( 0-10) equates to 100 yards distance ( total of 1300 yards, that is three aiming chevrons plus 10 clicks 0-10) difference that can be used as a BDC. I only have access to a 120 yard range, I cant say for sure if the BDC works at ranges greater than 400 yards. I am happy for now, as this rig can now obliterate soda cans with one shot consistency at 100 meters.

This is also why I have been patient in waiting on the 1P21 as for the ranges that I am shooting at, a 4 power scope is plenty of magnification.

I was able to figure this out after about 300 rounds of trial and error. In comparison, I can zero an AR15 with about 12 rounds.

300 rounds? Hell yeah...Try that with a .308 , I can actually do this without breaking the bank. That is the beauty of the PSL.

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    Sounds good, thanks for the update. I ended pulling a 1P21 off of EBay yesterday for 350. I read up on its zeroing. It is set up to be zeroed at 300 meters. Apparently if you do this, the scope can be used between 300 and 1200 meters, and will automatically adjust for drop of a 54r round, leaving you to only have to worry about windage. Problem with that is finding a 300 meter range to zero it in at. Anyone following this thread know of one? Anyone know if civilians can use any of the long ranges at Quantico?

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    ...I cheated and resorted to using a Laser Boresight and a reflector ( Driveway markers from home depot) to align the scope at 100 yards. This got me on paper immediately...

what a great idea! I'll pick up a few when I go to get parts for my fire piston :OD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom