• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So I am fantasizing about occasionally having a life , and the occasional night camping . Searched for campgrounds near a particular venue , and found a nice one about a dozen miles away .

But a tent site , no hook ups is $28/ nite . Admittedly a prime location , next to a river , presumably nice facitilies in the CG , etc .

I realized I am completely clueless of the going rates for campgrounds , private ( meaning non- public ). What's normal range ?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    That's about right, especially if it has decent amenities. Once you figure in the cost of firewood (which for insect infestation reasons, they want you to buy locally) it can easily reach $50/night if you like to keep one burning hot for several hours.

Pro tip: find a spot near a national park, pay for overnight reserved camping, and scout out spots where you can camp primitive if you want to do it cheap and "real" the next time out. Granted not everyone wants to poo in a hole but primitive camping is usually free, and does't always mean hiking 500 yards in a backpack. Many places you can drive down a dirt road and car camp, as long as you pitch tent a little setback from your car.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    $28 per night for a tent site is very reasonable, assuming there's hot showers and flush toilets included.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Something odd about many campgrounds in the area, they always seem to be near train tracks...

I should also note that if your idea of relaxation is a few beers around the fire, MD no longer allows alcohol in state parks. Not that they police it diligently, but even more reason to go private or national parks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , I'm aware of plenty of semi- basic NF sites that are free . But sometimes you want to combine with semi- civilized activities , instead of purely nature experience .

Added , while simultaneously posting -

Md State Forests allow non- excessive, non- disorderly alcohol use in camp sites .

National Forrests could theoretically have different rules for each Campground/ Recreation Area , but they tend to vary by each Ranger District .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hey, I said SEMI-civilized .

Having to drive 100-200mi to get to a 4 star hotel is worse than driving 40-50mi to free campsite in the woods .

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Having just returned from a trip to Florida with our camper, 1 night at a very nice KOA campground in South Carolina was $56 or so compared to $100 a night at Micky Mouse World. Both were full hook ups with water, electric, sewer, cable TV and WiFi.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Not sure where you're trying to get close to, but places like Savage River State Forest and Green Ridge State Forest have primitive campgrounds available for $10/night. Check out their information at the MD DNR Page for State Forests: https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/mdforests.aspx

There are a number of campgrounds along the C&O Canal that are part of the C&O Canal National Historic Park that range from $10 - 20 depending on how many etc. Some have potable water pumps and spot a pots during the warmer months. Check out https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gateways/2632 and many resources available from this page.

If you're looking for a campgrounds with actual facilities, ranges tend to be anywhere from $30 - $60 range for campsites, with RV hookup sites running anywhere from $35 - 100+ depending on the facilities.

Lots of good information available, also, some good Apps available for your smartphone...just do a search on your app store from "camping" etc.

Last edited:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Something odd about many campgrounds in the area, they always seem to be near train tracks... .

This x10

We set up camp at Ohiopyle in the dark. We found out we were 50' from the tracks when a freight train roared by at 2am.
    I can't remember the last time I camped without at least hearing a train.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To combine the themes of posts #12 & #15 , brings back some memories .

Camping at the C&O sites in Little Orleans, Md , in the tail end of the originally WM tracks being active mainline . ( If you liked trains, this was good thing . If you were desensitized to trains, nuetral .)

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    On the train question -- Railroads in the east (and to an extent in the west) were built alongside the major river systems, since their customers were (and still are today) mills, power plants, etc. that previously relied on water transportation or need water for their operations. I love trains. It's a good sound to hear them GLIDING by.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Pen Mar Park
    14600 Pen Mar High Rock Rd
    Highfield-Cascade, MD 21719

park your car and hike the AT just a bit, and camp at one of their stops/3 sided cabins (forget what they are called), or just leave no trace and go wherever. If you leave no trace properly, you can do it even in an area that you might not supposed to be doing it in as nobody will even know you were there. AT is always a fun one. I have been working with hiking my 3 year old. This summer he will be 3.5. We have gone about 3 miles so far total out and back it takes forever because we end up throwing 2 sticks or rocks for every step we take, but we have a blast. Depending on how he likes it this summer, we might go for an overnight backpacking trip, just him and I. As long as he is having fun at that age, I don't want him to feel like its work and not want to do it, so I don't push any limits. When he is ready, we turn around. And I almost always promise ice cream when we get home (or a freezy pop). The way back is always faster than the way out. lol

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I actually have been there, and hiked that stretch of AT , albeit back in my BSA days .

And seperate topic , as part of my recurring fantasy of having a life , get back into more frequent hiking . Was on a roll in '15 , or was it '16 ? . But last year or two not so much . At this point will have to start over from scratch working my way back .

Meanwhile back at my impetus for starting this thread-

I can probably already think of plenty of " communing with nature on purpose in the sticks " areas for free/ low cost . I was mentally exploring the possibilities of multi tasking endeavors . Have opportunity for say a 40hr window , Persue one or more of my other interests , AND then throw up the tent & sleeping bag .

So seeking a sense of going rates for certain niche of campgrounds water & crapper within walking distance, maybe a picnic table . Doesn't need to be a resort destination , just " not actively unpleasant " . No so much recomendations of specific places , as what would be expected $ ranges . Ie , if a tent site costs as much as the cheap motels .......

I have an RV at Cherrystone down the lower Eastern Shore Virginia. Peak rates per night a close to $100. Now of course that's for everything water sewer Electric and wireless internet access. I think their tent rates are about $40 a night. I've been going there since I was a kid. When we first started going we were using a tent and it was five bucks of course that was also 1970.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom