• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think there is a certain amount of ammo one can reasonably posses for SHTF scenario because if it ever gets so bad you will need to bug out and carrying that much weight on a short notice is not an option. It's like finding treasure in a cave but then realizing that you cant take it all with you because your ship will sink.
    I'm embarrassed to say I bugged out to WV to my sisters before Sandy hit with my ammo and it made me re-think ammo. :o

I think the only reason to store up on ammo is to be future proof on the prices. Having said that I'm going to start reloading .223 to save some money in the long run.
    If they discontinue .223 because of some strange law I will convert my rifle to 9mm and move on but this is not to say I won't put up a fight with others in the gun advocacy camp.

The reality of the situation is that you most likely fare much better if you shelter in place, rather than bugging out. Therefore, the stockpile of ammo is a good idea.

That being said, I have 2,000 rounds of XM193 and 9mm set aside to grab and go, should it get too hot... but I doubt that will happen.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    The reality of the situation is that you most likely fare much better if you shelter in place, rather than bugging out. Therefore, the stockpile of ammo is a good idea.

That being said, I have 2,000 rounds of XM193 and 9mm set aside to grab and go, should it get too hot... but I doubt that will happen.

True but if you have to unleash 1000 rounds trying to defend that shelter it's probably time to leave for higher ground because they are going to keep coming when they know you have a weapons cache.

And even worse if they start confiscating guns and ammo say good buy to all that planing.
    I have given more importance to disaster readiness in the form of clean drinking water as I'm more likely to die from dysentery then a bullet.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ammo is valuable hard currency if social structure ever evaporates. It's only part of preparedness plan, as already mentioned above. Fleeing for the sake of fleeing is not a preparedness plan, regardless of whether you have adequate supplies in tow or not.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    True but if you have to unleash 1000 rounds trying to defend that shelter it's probably time to leave for higher ground because they are going to keep coming when they know you have a weapons cache.

And even worse if they start confiscating guns and ammo say good buy to all that planing.
    I have given more importance to disaster readiness in the form of clean drinking water as I'm more likely to die from dysentery then a bullet.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      73 KB · Views: 449
    Last edited:

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa

Did someone say cache...

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Here's a question... What is the thought on vacuum sealing ammo? I was thinking about sealing multiple 20rd boxes of 5.56 for long term storage.

And no, I don't need to buy anymore ammo to do this! :D

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Here's a question... What is the thought on vacuum sealing ammo? I was thinking about sealing multiple 20rd boxes of 5.56 for long term storage.

And no, I don't need to buy anymore ammo to do this! :D

Moisture is the biggest enemy. Ammo cans with moisture absorbers added is a good way to go. Quick changes in temperature can cause moisture also.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Did you miss the official DNC platform calling for a new assault weapons ban? How about when President Obama voiced support for it in the debates? Make no mistake, the next mass shooting and it's on.

What they say, and what they will be willing to do (and are capable of doing) are two very different things. As I said, the support (both public and legislative) isn't there. The GOP puts out lots of nonsense for their base's consumption too. That doesn't mean they will be able to act on them.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You all need to remember that the Democrats are much more diverse in their member's viewpoints than the GOP, and the more extreme elements of their party don't run the show. There are many Democrats that support 2A issues. They often live in more conservative areas, and wouldn't go along with an anti-gun legislation. So any type of anti-gun agenda would not only have to progress against Republican opposition, but the opposition of quite a few Democrats as well.
    Ok but Obama isn't talking about banning guns, he respects the 2A. :rolleyes: He said so himself. As does Babs, Cardin etc. He only wants to restrict the sale of military assault weapons that do not belong on our streets. Ask the average lefty you know that knows nothing about guns if they think banning assault weapons is a good idea.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    Meh. The Left has shown no real interest in pushing an anti-gun agenda. Like all politicians, they monitor polls, and keep an eye on the pulse of the country. Every poll/study (left and right) had shown that the country's attitude has swung to the right concerning 2A issues. Given all the other problems on the table, there is no reason to assume the Left is going to waste resources pursuing an anti-gun agenda that will have little popular support.

You all need to remember that the Democrats are much more diverse in their member's viewpoints than the GOP, and the more extreme elements of their party don't run the show. There are many Democrats that support 2A issues. They often live in more conservative areas, and wouldn't go along with an anti-gun legislation. So any type of anti-gun agenda would not only have to progress against Republican opposition, but the opposition of quite a few Democrats as well.

I'm not saying that the occasional regulation might not get passed on a State level, or that a rider or addendum to existing National legislation might not impact us; but a large scale program just isn't in the cards. So lets please not give in to the hype of the Gun/Ammunition Industry and spend a fortune pumping up their profits.

Besides, if the prices go down, that makes thing cheaper for me. :)

Meh... The beginning... Took a whole 2 hours for them to start. What was that you said about not wanting to worry about guns???

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-win-u-backs-u-n-arms-treaty-193445288.html

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    The reality of the situation is that you most likely fare much better if you shelter in place, rather than bugging out. .

Depends on the situation.

I don't think 'Shelter in Place' was a good idea for those at Breezy Point. ;)

If you stay obviously have more ammo is a good idea. If you must BO, then take what is reasonable and cache the rest - you may have an opportunity to return.

For those of us who are bad at politics, please remind me why Obama winning means we need to stock up.

The folks that REALLY need to be thinking ahead are the milsurp guys.
    Some of the more obscure stuff like 7.5 French, Carcano and Swiss ammo etc. is only available from a couple folks like Prvi and S&B.
    Usually you can only get that stuff online.
    You can run down to the Bass Pro, local gun shop, or even Dick's (if you have to) and find 7.62x39, .223, .308 and even occasional .303 British.
    There is already a Bill in Congress to ban online ammo sales to individuals.
    If that goes through, and you don't have a good stock of the obscure stuff, even Mosins are going to be hard to feed (for most folks) eventually.
    The surplus .303, french and Italian ammo are pretty much gone and even stuff that was everywhere just a few years ago, like surplus 8mm Mauser,
    is getting harder to find.
    Anyone with a Makarov, Tokarev, Nagant revolver, Mauser, Mosin, Enfield etc. NEEDS to have enough ammo so it's not a 10 lb. paperweight, when they will those guns to their kids.
    If you can't run within 100 miles of your location and find ammo for your prized .300 Weatherby, now is the time to invest in 5-10 boxes.
    Look at the VZ-52........beautiful rifles available for cheap.....because it's easier to find a chupacabra, than a box of 7.62x45 ammo.
    For a while they were practically giving that ammo away, but when it's gone....it's gone.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I expect people to buy more ammo and guns(especially so called military-style assault rifles) now than ever and don't be surprised if prices skyrocket once again.

This - people panic buy when they "think" things will go belly up. All it does is lead to higher ammo, & gun prices.

The same thing happened to primers for reloading. There were all kinds of rumors - everything from shortage because of wars, to goverment making manufacturers produce primers that will have a short shelf life.

That being said - I have enough cases surplused from over the years, dies and lead to load ammo for the rest of my life.

I doubt components would ever be "boycotted" anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom