• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    Is there any money in shooting matchs. If so what level would you have to be at and what division. The only division I know anything about(very little) is IDPA

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    If i guy or girl named Miculek shows up, your chances are slim...

In reality you need sponsorship in any class to win big because traveling and hotels are usually your biggest expense because you need to compete at a national level to win any real money, competing at local levels, you'll be breaking even at best

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I spent $20 to shoot a USPSA match last weekend and this weekend is $25 so I've got some money in it.:innocent0 You're certainly not going to make any money shooting club level matches. I did have the opportunity to talk to a team sponsored shooter at a local match. Even with a sponsor she still had a normal day job. The sponsor pays for travel expenses and equipment, top shooters can also earn a salary. I'm sure with sponsorship, salary, prize winnings, and endorsements, that it's possible to earn a good living, but you'll probably need to be a 1%'er as far as shooting goes to get there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I won $10 for 2nd place once. The entry fee was only $10, so I made out like a bandit. I'm thinking of spending the winnings on a new rifle, or a pistol, or probably both...

So yes, there is big money in this game.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    If you are good enough, the money from your sponsors can be significant. It's advertising and sponsors love live walking/talking commercials.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    In this sport you can make more money designing a part that everybody wants than trying to win the money yourself. I know several sponsored shooters and with the exception of of those actually getting salaries everyone is basically offsetting expenses. And for that you have to be good before you can get anything. Most sponsors like helping junior shooters because they are the future. Getting on someone's junior team at 15 YO is the fast track because you get lots of help and lots of training that money just can't buy. Otherwise you can be like Taran Butler who went from a non-competitive shooter to a Grand Master in about 15 months. The competition at the top in big events is very fierce with very small things making the difference between finishing in the top 3 and finishing 25th.
    And once you get near the top the fun factor pretty much goes away because now your job and status is on the line every event. When shooting is a hobby it is fun but when it is a job often times it is not.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    There are very few shooters making a living based off competition shooting. Most are employed within the industry, give instruction, own a business etc.

My wife and I are sponsored but it simply means an offset in expenses competing in USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge etc. We appreciate it very much but also know we will not quit our day jobs anytime soon! :)

The one form of competition that does pay (as a matter of speaking) is 3 gun. The prize tables are enormous and depending on how you fall out you may be able to sell the product/prize. A good friend of ours was able to sell a 16th place prize for $1800. This more than covered his cost for the 3 day match.

Good luck!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Peacemaker and Summit Point in WV, York in PA, Walnut Hill in VA. All those are within 1-1.5 hours or so. Several others farther out in the coastal parts of MD, upper PA, and southern VA. In this area most clubs that run both 3-gun and USPSA/IDPA tend to have the 3-gun in the early part of the month and the others later, but not all. Best facility is Peacemaker probably and best event is the York 3 man 3 gun I think (and I haven't event shot one yet).

rkgsmith

Nov 26, 2011
    To be competitive you must shoot, a lot. There is really no money in shooting, unless of course your a factory guy. Just factor in your expenses, ammo, time, and travel and very quickly your well behind. I can count on both hands the number of guys who make a livng at it. Just imagine shooting 50k a year in ammo. That's alot of guns to win and sell. The only possible reason to shoot is for the enjoyment. Unless your in the business you can't possibly comprehend how much the guys at the top shoot. Couple times per week, every week. Club matches all the time, and a major match each month. You get the idea.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There's lots of money involved competive shooting. But it is involved in being spent by the competitors , not received.

There are a handfull of people who have a PR position or consulting contract , who also happen to be top level competutors.

There are a larger group of people who have gain attention thru shooting , that offer instruction , gunsmith services , products , etc that may have gotten initial promotion thru their shooting endevors , but have to be good quality ( goods, services ) in their own right to have long term succuess.

For 99.99% they do it for fun , glory , or maintaining real world skills , and if anything defrays part of their expenses , it's a welcome bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom