• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I would actually work with the neighbors. I would have them let you know when they shop, or when you are going to shoot,
    invite them of course, etc.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    I would actually work with the neighbors. I would have them let you know when they shop, or when you are going to shoot,
    invite them of course, etc.

tried, they are not interested. I even offered my land for them to ride their dirt bikes around on my trails. i think its the 1acre guy jealous of the freedom of big land guy type deal

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    The suggestion of shooting through a bunch of tires is a good idea. You might need a set for prone, sitting/kneeling and standing unless you shoot prone on your shooting table.
    Sound is very tough to deal with. You may want to spend time online and see what other people have done and what works.
    Shooting from a building works sometimes but I’ve heard of one case that the building amplified the sound.
    Reading the thread makes me wonder if the issue is sound or guns. In Southern Maryland there is not a lot of comfortable porch sitting weather. It’s either too hot or too cold.
    You need to become a subject matter expert on county and state regulations including noise and and learn about sound.
    Noise is usually defined as unwanted sound. This time of year you don’t have leaves on threes to dampen sound. As you know if you plant use evergreens.
    I don’t agree with allowing neighbors to use your land if you have a range. It’s a recipe for trouble. You really should post warnings around your range for safety reasons. NRA may be able to suggest verbage for the signs.
    Document anything you do to mitigate sound and improve safety. Your three biggest issues are safety, sound and projectiles leaving your property. (Also add environmental issues-lead). Rounds deposited on another’s property is considered trespass at the very least.
    Document, document, document. Everything even the complaints.
    The complaints will start with noise then go to safety then go to property valuation. Find out who your friends are in your hood. They may be helpful.
    Good luck. I hope you prevail.

BTW I live in southern Calvert.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Hey everyone. I purchased 21 acres in Calvert to build a home and for recreation purposes. Shooting being one of them. I finally have a nice 180yd range set up with a huge hill for a backstop. Feels great owning my own land to shoot on. But now i have a problem arising with one of my neighbors. They are complaining the shooting is unbearable. That they cannot enjoy being on their front porch when I'm enjoying my own land.

The only law on the books I'm aware of is being 150yds away from any dwellings, which i am. I also feel I'm being very reasonable to the length of time i shoot for, and for how long. 20mins to a hour, nothing past 6pm, nothing before 12pm. They are accusing me of breaking the county's noise ordinance. I offered them my phone number to give me a call if I'm bothering them, but they would rather me stop shooting or move father from their house.

You are 100% legal. Sometimes you have to draw the line and put people in their place. Tell them that you are on your property and enjoying what you are paying for. The deputies probably just wanted your number so that when they get a complaint, they don't waste their time. Stand up for your right to use your property as you see fit within the limits of the law. Appeasement never works. If they want to complain based upon some noise ordinance, they have the burden of proof and that requires setting up a decimeter at the legally required distance and monitoring the readings. Seriously doubt they would do that.
    No cops involved as of now with this neighbor, but let me know what you think I'm in for. Thanks

I’m in northern Carroll County, my range is set-up to shoot out of my barn. Makes it noisier for me, but I have yet to get a complaint from my neighbors. I try to limit how often I shoot my large caliber rifles for now, I have a suppressor in jail (now at 180 days) because I do want to be a good neighbor and I love having the ability to shoot on my own land. Best of luck with your unfortunate situation.

You are in Carroll County, neighbors target practicing is normal here!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think the idea of sound barriers is a start. Rail road ties, dirt berms etc. Maybe a row of evergreens between you and the neighbor.

I saw some pics (can't find them now) of how a guy had rail road ties made up like a hut to direct sound downrange and provide protection from accidental shooting upwards.
    Low ceiling though and has to be pretty loud inside. Good thing is that it protects from rain and if you bang steel, you can shoot when its raining which deadens the sound as well.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    So where in Calvert is this new range? I think we need a look for ourselves to truly evaluate the problem, from all angles.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    exactly how i feel. also i own the field 15ft from his prized front porch. I don't think he releases how much i could ruin his view/property value with a-couple of junk shot up cars etc. if he wants to go down this road.......

A 10ft high wall made of used tires at this edge of your property might make for a nice sound deadener. Maybe old tractor tires...

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    tires.jpg

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Sorry to hear!! That sucks. I saw that Calvert County adopts state regulations for noise ordinances. http://www.ccgov.org/home/showdocument?id=7273

That was dated 2013, so I would do some research to see if there is a more current one. I would call the local Sheriff and see what they say about noise ordinance laws and let them know the situation.

If Calvert County does adopt state regulations, then the state says the noise has to be a max of 65 decibels between 7am-10pm during the week and 55 decibels in the evenings (10pm-7am).

I would probably look into sending a formal letter (maybe even from an attorney's office), saying that you only shoot 60 minutes max (daily) between the hours of 12pm-6pm and that you did your own decibel reading test from your shooting position to the outer perimeter of your property and show your findings and that you are not in violation of any laws or local regulations.

Just curious though, what are you shooting? .308? Short barreled 5.56 AR15?

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Hey everyone. I purchased 21 acres in Calvert to build a home and for recreation purposes. Shooting being one of them. I finally have a nice 180yd range set up with a huge hill for a backstop. Feels great owning my own land to shoot on. But now i have a problem arising with one of my neighbors. They are complaining the shooting is unbearable. That they cannot enjoy being on their front porch when I'm enjoying my own land.

The only law on the books I'm aware of is being 150yds away from any dwellings, which i am. I also feel I'm being very reasonable to the length of time i shoot for, and for how long. 20mins to a hour, nothing past 6pm, nothing before 12pm. They are accusing me of breaking the county's noise ordinance. I offered them my phone number to give me a call if I'm bothering them, but they would rather me stop shooting or move father from their house.

No cops involved as of now with this neighbor, but let me know what you think I'm in for. Thanks

A friend of mine had the same issue with a much smaller piece of property in the same county. Cops came and explained to them that there were no laws were broken. The next weekend we made it rain and it sounded like a foreign country invaded. Neighbors ride by with their noses in the air but who the hell wants your neighbors over your house all the time that don’t believe in a little 2A fun from time to time. Furthermore, they won’t show up unannounced or u invited. Question is how much do you want to keep the peace and how close do you want to be with your neighbors. In my friend’s case diplomacy failed. You could try diplomacy and see how hat works. In my experience it only works about half the time or even less

MarylandCTSV

Mar 17, 2020
    I say it’s your property, as long as it’s during reasonable hours you’re good. When this corona blows over I’ll come over with my ar and some friends nice guns too and we can really show them a good time lmao

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Well let me say...the oh my the noise has been the approach since the 70s....where you went wrong....they got your attention and you gave them your number....no that was not going to work from the start. Now they feel they are negotiating from a dominant position and you inferior. Cut off all communications....Law Enforcement will need to go over and notify them that you are within your right.....the end. Once you coddle people like this you open the doors to be annoyed repeatedly. Let's just say they have no fear....now. Ignore them, if you are engaged just let them know if they are in need just call the police as you no longer feel the nessecity to aid them if needed.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    It's easy to call the neighbor an ass but if my neighbor was shooting next door i just might bother me. Not that i'd suggest they stop. When I smoked and other people were smoking and I wasn't their smoke bothered me. I never told them to stop, I lit one up. A berm would probably help quite a bit. Even a sandbag wall would help. Look at what a huge difference a muzzle device makes to the shooter.

JMB

Jan 30, 2019
    Keep Shooting

I live in Prince Frederick in the townhouses by Weis. I hear gun fire often coming from areas generally to the west of me. Does not bother me one bit. I’d love to have a place close to home that I could shoot. Driving up to MDSA is a pain. You are not breaking any laws so go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom