• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Sorry for the stupid question. What will I need to start reloading the 223, 9MM, and 45 ACP? I mean what do I need to buy. Do you think it would be better to have the equipment ready before learning?

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I don't think anybody has said that....

Would you like some help?

I'm thinking through the process of buying all the crap and getting started, just curious if I pull the trigger on getting a press if there'd be guys willing to do some teaching in exchange for cheap beer something similar!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry for the stupid question. What will I need to start reloading the 223, 9MM, and 45 ACP? I mean what do I need to buy. Do you think it would be better to have the equipment ready before learning?
    That is a 'loaded' question(pun intended). There are no stupid questions.

You see the reloading kits fro sale everywhere. Well, that's about a quarter to a third of the outlay required, just to get started. It is a bit of a rabbit hole once you start down that path.

For each caliber you want to reload, you will need dies-$40-$80 per set. A case gauge for each-$25-$65. Powder, primers, brass, and bullets.

Depending on the setup you buy, there will be plenty of extra tools you'll need, granted, many of those are a onetime purchase.

Case prep tools also figure in as a large part of the investment, whether or not, you attempt to do mass quantities of a certain caliber. Look at it as a hobby. All hobbies require constant upgrading and additional tools.
    We all started at the same place...the beginning.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm thinking through the process of buying all the crap and getting started, just curious if I pull the trigger on getting a press if there'd be guys willing to do some teaching in exchange for cheap beer something similar!
    I'd be willing to advise and set up a day for you to do some press time, if you'd like.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    That is a 'loaded' question(pun intended). There are no stupid questions.

You see the reloading kits fro sale everywhere. Well, that's about a quarter to a third of the outlay required, just to get started. It is a bit of a rabbit hole once you start down that path.

For each caliber you want to reload, you will need dies-$40-$80 per set. A case gauge for each-$25-$65. Powder, primers, brass, and bullets.

Depending on the setup you buy, there will be plenty of extra tools you'll need, granted, many of those are a onetime purchase.

Case prep tools also figure in as a large part of the investment, whether or not, you attempt to do mass quantities of a certain caliber. Look at it as a hobby. All hobbies require constant upgrading and additional tools.
    We all started at the same place...the beginning.

Eg I have the kit from the link below, what else do I need to reload a 45acp.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lee-50th-anniversary-reloading-press-kit#repChildCatid=1089708

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'd be willing to teach on my equipment, because it is already calibrated and ready to go. I also have components on have for teaching.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    So I asked for some help setting up to load 223/556 on my Dillon 650 or 550 a while ago. I will finally have everything in place in the next week or so. I live in Anne Arundel (Glen Burnie). I have been loading pistol rounds for about 8 years but just never got into rifle.

Looking for someone to make sure my stupid gene doesn't come out.

Also, just ordered a Mr. Bulletfeeder if anyone has ever set one of these up that would be a bonus as well.

My schedule is pretty open weekdays, nights, weekends. Shift work has it's privileges.

Thanks

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So I asked for some help setting up to load 223/556 on my Dillon 650 or 550 a while ago. I will finally have everything in place in the next week or so. I live in Anne Arundel (Glen Burnie). I have been loading pistol rounds for about 8 years but just never got into rifle.

Looking for someone to make sure my stupid gene doesn't come out.

Also, just ordered a Mr. Bulletfeeder if anyone has ever set one of these up that would be a bonus as well.

My schedule is pretty open weekdays, nights, weekends. Shift work has it's privileges.

Thanks
    Which one is it? The 550 or the 650?

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Which one is it? The 550 or the 650?

It should be here this week. Planning on putting it on the 650. I got both the set ups for 9mm and 223/556

*** misread your question, I have both a 650 and a 550. I'm waiting for the Mr bulletfeeder to come in the mail. Sorry, wasn't paying attention

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My experience is that the kits have everything needed to get started. But not everything that you will end up getting over time.

And I did find that the kit has things that you might not use, depending on how you do things.

For pistol, I find case gauges nice, but not needed. You can use your barrel to check. And I started, and loaded a LOT of .223/5.56 without owning a case gauge.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Daemon

Misread your question. I have a 650 and a 550. Waiting to get the Mr. Bulletfeeder in the mail. I got the 223 and 9mm set up for the bulletfeeder.

Eg I have the kit from the link below, what else do I need to reload a 45acp.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lee-50th-anniversary-reloading-press-kit#repChildCatid=1089708

You will need .45 Auto dies and the consumables: bullets, powder, primers and brass. You'll also want a way to clean your brass. The Harbor Freight wet tumbler does a great job for not much $$$. I am a Lee guy myself and would be happy to give you a hand.
    Once you get familiar with the process, I would upgrade to a Lee classic turret press, as your current press will be pretty time consuming. I am a BIG proponent of learning on a single stage because you're only focusing on one thing at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom