Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 2nd, 2020, 06:16 AM #11
C&R Whisperer

C&R Whisperer

Between a bunch of FFLs and me there's living proof you can indeed purchase and profit at auctions. But you need to know what you're bidding on and what it's worth. Take that knowledge and add the discipline to stop bidding at a predetermined line in the sand that factors in the vig, taxes, fees or shipping costs and you'll be OK. It's rare that I chase the bid or go all in for something, has to be an item that I really need for the collection to throw open the wallet for. Plus for me there's the "thrill of the hunt" aspect to it all. Yeah it sucks to lose to someone with deeper pockets but that's part of the auction world. I've been backup bidder, aka "knocking at the back door", more times than I can count. But you learn to shake it off and move on to the next find and opportunity.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 09:03 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawkie View Post
Between a bunch of FFLs and me there's living proof you can indeed purchase and profit at auctions. But you need to know what you're bidding on and what it's worth. Take that knowledge and add the discipline to stop bidding at a predetermined line in the sand that factors in the vig, taxes, fees or shipping costs and you'll be OK. It's rare that I chase the bid or go all in for something, has to be an item that I really need for the collection to throw open the wallet for. Plus for me there's the "thrill of the hunt" aspect to it all. Yeah it sucks to lose to someone with deeper pockets but that's part of the auction world. I've been backup bidder, aka "knocking at the back door", more times than I can count. But you learn to shake it off and move on to the next find and opportunity.
Looking back on it I think there was a ton of newer buyers there and a couple dealers looking to stock new pistols. While getting the 4473 done there were three people who interrupted asking about the HQL or out of state purchases. These people didn't understand how the laws worked and were there bidding on stuff.

Last night I cleaned the girl again, dug out a bunch of grunge from around the breach and noticed that there's just a little bit of firing pin dimple in the chamber face. Pretty good compared to many that I've seen online. Waiting for cooler weather to really tinker with it.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:08 PM #13

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

It's a beautiful rifle. I hope you get it shooting well.

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:17 AM #14
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

I've got one that if you don't pump it crisply and sharply, it will lock up. Can't slow pump it at all. I don't play with it much because I never really bothered to figure out the problem... but now you've got me thinking about it... may pull it out as my next project and see if I can tune it a bit.

Great find. Congrats.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:19 PM #15
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
I've got one that if you don't pump it crisply and sharply, it will lock up. Can't slow pump it at all. I don't play with it much because I never really bothered to figure out the problem... but now you've got me thinking about it... may pull it out as my next project and see if I can tune it a bit.

Great find. Congrats.
This is why they have the nickname "miserable loader"

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 08:50 PM #16
C&R Whisperer

C&R Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Looking back on it I think there was a ton of newer buyers there and a couple dealers looking to stock new pistols. While getting the 4473 done there were three people who interrupted asking about the HQL or out of state purchases. These people didn't understand how the laws worked and were there bidding on stuff.

Last night I cleaned the girl again, dug out a bunch of grunge from around the breach and noticed that there's just a little bit of firing pin dimple in the chamber face. Pretty good compared to many that I've seen online. Waiting for cooler weather to really tinker with it.
A good auctioneer will give everyone "the speech" about background checks, out-of-state purchases etc before the auction starts. You cannot assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of 2A law. But you'll always get at least a couple out of the crowd who come late or are clueless. It's an imperfect world.
Old August 9th, 2020, 03:42 PM #17
Tier 1 Keyboard Operator

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Tier 1 Keyboard Operator

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
I had one but I ended up selling it at the Howard County gun buy back in 2013. It wouldn’t lock up when cocked and I didn’t feels safe shooting it. Had it “fixed” by a gun smith but it broke again a short time later. To the buy back it went. Put the proceeds toward my PSL

“You’re not peaceful if you’re not capable of great violence. Rather, you’re harmless.”
Alphabrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)