• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    back in the day, I bought a $100 bamboo rod and he taught me how to cast. He was from India and later worked at the small fly shop in Gaithersburg after RTP closed. He taught me in '84. I think it was called the Mayfly.

I fished Big Hunting Creek, and Morgan Run mostly, although I use his ideas on the Potomac and Shenandoah these days.
    Tidalfish.com used to be a HUGE resource, and then it all dried up.
    It looks like people who gave up hotspots got inundated and
    there is very little info where to fish now.

Just an observation, you are welcome to refute - and give me your GPS coordinates for your hot spots. SEE how that works??

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I worked for Mark Kovach helping in his fly fishing school and guiding. I also tied flies for most of the fly shops in and around DC in the 70s and 80s. I fly fished all over Md including the bay(upper and lower). Its been a few years since I last fly-fished. Alaska ruined me. :)

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I worked for Mark Kovach helping in his fly fishing school and guiding. I also tied flies for most of the fly shops in and around DC in the 70s and 80s. I fly fished all over Md including the bay(upper and lower). Its been a few years since I last fly-fished. Alaska ruined me. :)

Maybe you can help me with a name. I had meet a older gentleman doing book signing back in the 80’s- early 90s. He taught and guided several Presidents fly fishing. For the life of me I can’t remember his name or find the autographed book.

We met in a tackle shop in Shepherdstown and after the signings he taught me how to tie a crawfish fly for the river. We must done a dozen or so, really great guy

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe you can help me with a name. I had meet a older gentleman doing book signing back in the 80’s- early 90s. He taught and guided several Presidents fly fishing. For the life of me I can’t remember his name or find the autographed book.

We met in a tackle shop in Shepherdstown and after the signings he taught me how to tie a crawfish fly for the river. We must done a dozen or so, really great guy
    Hmmm, rings a bell. I'll have to get back to you when I'm more lucid...

I'm thinking he guided Carter on Big Hunting Creek?

I can say, I never met the gent, but did hear of him...

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines

Are you thinking of Joe Humphreys from Penn State? He is well known throughout PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom