• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    This is VA dems one shot. They are gonna go full retard. Many will not see office again. Once on the books as law, these will stay. Unless, after years in court are found unconstitutional.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Once on the books as law, these will stay. Unless, after years in court are found unconstitutional.

I assume (hope) that whatever oppressive unconstitutional laws get passed this session could be rescinded by the heavily right-leaning legislature that the Dems are in the process of creating for 2021.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I assume (hope) that whatever oppressive unconstitutional laws get passed this session could be rescinded by the heavily right-leaning legislature that the Dems are in the process of creating for 2021.
    eh, who are you kidding? lots of us didn't get out and vote this past november despite the dems pre-filing some of this crap including the awb bill.

i hope i'm wrong given the whole 2a sanctuary county movement, but thinking i am not. we'll find out in 10 months i guess.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is VA dems one shot. They are gonna go full retard. Many will not see office again. Once on the books as law, these will stay. Unless, after years in court are found unconstitutional.

I would think laws can be repealed later, as they may have been enacted earlier.

Just need a legislature willing to do so.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    In theory yes, in practice usually not. It takes only a simple majority to pass a bill and the gov to sign it into law. To repeal a law often means defeating a Senate filibuster, usually a 2/3 vote ... very hard to do.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    that's the problem, they never do.

The republicans are a bunch of scared little p****s, that care what the democrats think of them.

That's what makes the democrats so great, they give no ****s about what they do to republican polices, folks, procedures, yet somehow still manage to get just enough republicans to care about being "fair" to get what the democrats want, even when they aren't in power.

Likely, because the republicans are scared shitless of what the liberal wing will do to their public image/credibility if they don't capitulate to their demands. Look what they did to Susan Collins for example for her vote on Kavanaugh and jeff flake for his vote.

Look what the democrat controlled virginia is doing vs when the gop had control of all 3 federal houses and did nothing...

I agree with that 1000%. We saw it during the 8 years of Obama, and we saw it with FSA2013. One side is evil, and the other side is useless. None of them are worth pissing on to put out a fire.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I would think laws can be repealed later, as they may have been enacted earlier.

Just need a legislature willing to do so.

I'm still waiting for the MGA to perform a MEANINGFUL repeal. Getting rid of the basement full of fired cases and allowing the favored serfs to more easily replenish the state's Civil Right permitting coffers are not in any way meaningful to me.

I believe the law that requires horseless carriage operators to have someone on foot ahead with a bell and red lantern is still on the books.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Same thing. The liberal anti-gun crowd in the Senate would filibuster, requiring a 2/3 vote to pass.

Bad laws are forever.

Its actually 60 votes to defeat a filibuster, not 2/3rds. Still hard as hell to pull off.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I would love to see a constitutional amendment that EVERY law without an expiration date automatically comes with an 8 year sunset period. Important laws will get renewed... crappy laws might just go away. The alternative is to keep hundreds of thousands of laws on the books, forever, even if they are completely obsolete.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I would love to see a constitutional amendment that EVERY law without an expiration date automatically comes with an 8 year sunset period. Important laws will get renewed... crappy laws might just go away. The alternative is to keep hundreds of thousands of laws on the books, forever, even if they are completely obsolete.

The trouble is the unintended consequences of such a rule of law. The lefgt would be going hell bent for leather to make sure that they dumped every law that they don't like and replace it with laws that benefit them. As you say... "important laws" would be renewed. The fly in that ointment would be... "important to who?" And the answer to that would be "Those currently in charge of the review." THAT could spell disaster.

I would agree that there should be a regular judicial review of all laws and those found counter to liberty or just passe, be removed. But we can see how the left would react to such a power of automatic removal... by what they are attempting to do in Virginia right now.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

Yes. Sunset all laws - excellent

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The trouble is the unintended consequences of such a rule of law. The lefgt would be going hell bent for leather to make sure that they dumped every law that they don't like and replace it with laws that benefit them. As you say... "important laws" would be renewed. The fly in that ointment would be... "important to who?" And the answer to that would be "Those currently in charge of the review." THAT could spell disaster.

I would agree that there should be a regular judicial review of all laws and those found counter to liberty or just passe, be removed. But we can see how the left would react to such a power of automatic removal... by what they are attempting to do in Virginia right now.

1) Laws rarely enhance liberty.
    2) Passing any law is difficult
    3) it’s easier to convince people that new smaller infringements are OK when they already live under truly draconian laws.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    3) it’s easier to convince people that new smaller infringements are OK when they already live under truly draconian laws.

Sadly, #2 is no problem here in Gerrymandistan.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

1) Our COTUS Civil Rights are Laws.
    (I’m certain that the left would LOVE to have a sunset clause for some of them.)
    2) Sadly... not when said law is popular in the courts of public opinion.
    3) Which is an excellent argument AGAINST arbitrarily dumping all laws and tossing out the baby with the bath water... in a one size fits all sunset clause for ALL laws.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    So, assuming VA ends reciprocity, does that mean other states will then automatically stop accepting VA's ccw? If I wanted to get a ccw tomorrow, what's the best bet? Ideally I'd want to be able to carry in VA, but if other states stop accepting, now I'm up to two permits to get VA and then the rest. What about the new Tennessee permit? Been finding conflicting info, but I guess PA is a no go?

EDIT: see on PA AG website you have to be a resident of issuing state to be able to carry in PA

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So, assuming VA ends reciprocity, does that mean other states will then automatically stop accepting VA's ccw? If I wanted to get a ccw tomorrow, what's the best bet? Ideally I'd want to be able to carry in VA, but if other states stop accepting, now I'm up to two permits to get VA and then the rest. What about the new Tennessee permit? Been finding conflicting info, but I guess PA is a no go?

EDIT: see on PA AG website you have to be a resident of issuing state to be able to carry in PA

Depends on the state. Some are straight reciprocity (you recognize mine, I recognize yours), some are universal recognition, some have a set criteria.

The reason VA is universal recognition is because the Dem AG Herring screwed up and took it upon himself to essentially wipe out reciprocity (with VERY few exceptions). This caused a backlash and McAuliffe ended up signing a universal recognition bill. So I don't think this one can go anywhere because THEY caused it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom